Cooperating with your Vet

DoubleB20

Cooperating with your Vet

Post by DoubleB20 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:37 am

We have small kennel, Bird Dogs for me and Yorkies for my wife. We don't raise a lot of litters, but with 10 dogs total, I do as much of my own vaccinations, worming, (preventive maintenance), etc. to keep our costs down. Our vet won't treat anyone's animals unless "they" did the vaccinations. We only use a vet for things that we can't handle ourselves. We get a lot of "crap" from our vet about our self-treatment programs, the vet says, "we don't recognize vaccinations done by their owners." My belief is that they want to get all the cash they can, they will give a vaccination for an office visit ($30) and then the over-inflated vaccination ($24). I can give the same vaccination for around $5 (as you know.) I asked them if they had a program where they work with folks who have kennels and they went back and talked to one of the Dr's. The response I got was we'll get back to... I'm curious how do you get your vet to recognize your competence and work with you? I am searching for another vet, but would like to know how you approach a vet to be "your vet" while he recognizes your preventative maintenance program? I'm in Fort Worth and if anyone in the area has a vet that's good with dogs, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Okvet03

Re: Cooperating with your Vet

Post by Okvet03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:01 am

DoubleB20, I'm new to this forum so bear with me. I hear your frustration and I'll try to address your issues from the other side of the table. On the veterinary side I've seen too many dogs that the breeder claimed were fully vaccinated come down with parvo. I've seen dogs neurologic from Ivomec. I've had folks call me wanting antibiotics or other drugs even though I've never seen them or their pet. So we have to be cautious. As a vet I am prohibited from prescribing medications unless I have a valid client patient relationship. I need to see both the pet and the client or authorized representative. That's where the office call comes in. I understand how paying $54 for a $3 vaccine sounds exhorbitant but in many clinic pricing models the vaccines are used to soak up the cost of other treatments. Your average sized clinic may need to make $2000-4000 a day just to meet labor and other fixed costs. That said, I think the best thing you can do is find a vet who can help you design an effective protocol. I'm always impressed when a client brings in a new pup with a well documented treatment history from the breeder. I look for data that includes weight, treatment administered, type and amount of medication and date. I have no problems honoring a breeders vaccinations if they remove the label sticker from the vaccine and put it in the record (except for rabies, which must be given by a vet to be considered legal in my state). I realize the costs involved in taking in every pup can be prohibitive so I offer a litter discount on the vaccinations and fecals. I prefer to use pfizer vaccines because I have seen much fewer reactions when compared to fort dodge. I would make a few calls and see if you can find a vet who can work with you. I applaud your effort to do it right. I wish more breeders were as conscientious.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am

Okvet you are trying to justify your chgs & we are trying to justify the costs.I have never in 35 yrs had parvo here but had a pup I sold that follow up vacs,etc. were given by the vet that contracted parvo & died at 1 yr of age so it happens both ways.My suggestion is avoid big clinics in big fancy buildings & offices with high over head & find a single vet in a small office,get to know & trust them then use him when necessary.If he will sell you vacs buy from him but if not let him know you take care of it yourself.I have used the same vet for over 20 yrs but do the simple stuff myself & he knows this & has never tried to discourage me.JMO :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 am

vzkennels wrote:Okvet you are trying to justify your chgs & we are trying to justify the costs.I have never in 35 yrs had parvo here but had a pup I sold that follow up vacs,etc. were given by the vet that contracted parvo & died at 1 yr of age so it happens both ways.My suggestion is avoid big clinics in big fancy buildings & offices with high over head & find a single vet in a small office,get to know & trust them then use him when necessary.If he will sell you vacs buy from him but if not let him know you take care of it yourself.I have used the same vet for over 20 yrs but do the simple stuff myself & he knows this & has never tried to discourage me.JMO :D
This has been my experience also and have had the vet even suggest I do much of it myself. About the only thing that was routinely done by our vet is the rabies shots and the vet I had till he retired would stop by when he was in the area and give them. There are vets that will work with you but they are getting fewer all the time. I think your best chance is to get into a small town or rural vet"s office and get to know them and many will help you provide whats necessary to keep your animals healthy. And they will still be there for the things they can do that you can't.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Okvet03

Post by Okvet03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:53 am

Ezzy and VZ, I think you both make excellent points. I can't speak for all vets but the vast majority entered this profession for the love of animals. Good vets are where you find them. I know excellent vets working in high dollar operations as well as in single doctor practices. I think one of the most important aspects is communication. Find a vet that will listen and work with you. If you don't have a good rapport then find someone else. I fully support a good vaccination and parasite control protocol performed by the breeder. On a personal note, I believe a well informed breeder is invaluable. Before the client contacts me 9/10 of the time they talk to the breeder first. A well informed breeder can save their clients a lot of heartache. I apologize if my posts seem at all derogatory I've been up half the night trying to keep a 14oz. Shi Tzu loaded with coccidia and giardia alive. But he's eating now and all is good! :wink:

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
vzkennels wrote:Okvet you are trying to justify your chgs & we are trying to justify the costs.I have never in 35 yrs had parvo here but had a pup I sold that follow up vacs,etc. were given by the vet that contracted parvo & died at 1 yr of age so it happens both ways.My suggestion is avoid big clinics in big fancy buildings & offices with high over head & find a single vet in a small office,get to know & trust them then use him when necessary.If he will sell you vacs buy from him but if not let him know you take care of it yourself.I have used the same vet for over 20 yrs but do the simple stuff myself & he knows this & has never tried to discourage me.JMO :D
This has been my experience also and have had the vet even suggest I do much of it myself. About the only thing that was routinely done by our vet is the rabies shots and the vet I had till he retired would stop by when he was in the area and give them. There are vets that will work with you but they are getting fewer all the time. I think your best chance is to get into a small town or rural vet"s office and get to know them and many will help you provide whats necessary to keep your animals healthy. And they will still be there for the things they can do that you can't.

Ezzy
I have to agree with the above two postings. My vet works out of a small office, not one of those multivet conglomorates that have been turning up more and more. He does all of my well checks and gives my dogs their rabies shots, state law. He knows my dogs and their pedigrees. More importantly, he works with me on treatments and understands just how much my dogs mean to me. I give my dogs all of their shot except the rabies and, as has been said above, never had a dog come down with parvo or the like.
My advice is the same as Ezzy's: find a vet that works out of a small office and can get to know you, your dogs, your relationship with your dogs and go to that vet. My bet is that he or she will give you no grief about give shots to your dog yourself.

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Okvet, I understand the concern from your side as well and do understand that you have to keep your clinic open and I'm willing to pay reasonable prices for necessary services. I can't justify paying the outrageous prices for the easy stuff, not for vets, not for car mechanics, not for plumbers, etc. I guess I'm just a hard-headed, self-supporting country boy that unfortunately lives too close to the big city. :? I'll keep looking for a vet that is willing to work with me and see how it goes. Thanks for your comments.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 pm

I'd suggest shopping around and talking to people. Don't by shy about talking to different vets in the same practice, and asking to speak to the vet instead of the front office gal or the vet tech. If you do it in a nice way of course. I've found some vets more willing to work with you than others. And often the vet techs and front office folks will give you the standard line--that they generally recommend their in house service. The only way you'll get someone to work with you is to talk to the actual vet in some cases.

When you talk to a vet who might be willing to help you, be sure to indicate you would like to do it on your own, and that you are looking for someone to help you do it yourself in the proper manner for the basic needs--and you'll come in or at least call regarding other more serious concerns. If you just ask to buy the product and administer it yourself, I don't blame vets for saying no. Indicate you are asking to save money and want to do it right.

And do your homework. I've found vets to say no initially but when I've come in with a lot more information on a treatment issue it's helped them understand I might be someone who can tackle this myself. I think many vets get the cost issue, and are willing to work with us if we can demonstrate the likelihood of not getting our pets into trouble. They tend to make their money off of us over time in any case. At least the vet's I've had do... :?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:54 pm

Okvet03 wrote:Ezzy and VZ, I think you both make excellent points. I can't speak for all vets but the vast majority entered this profession for the love of animals. Good vets are where you find them. I know excellent vets working in high dollar operations as well as in single doctor practices. I think one of the most important aspects is communication. Find a vet that will listen and work with you. If you don't have a good rapport then find someone else. I fully support a good vaccination and parasite control protocol performed by the breeder. On a personal note, I believe a well informed breeder is invaluable. Before the client contacts me 9/10 of the time they talk to the breeder first. A well informed breeder can save their clients a lot of heartache. I apologize if my posts seem at all derogatory I've been up half the night trying to keep a 14oz. Shi Tzu loaded with coccidia and giardia alive. But he's eating now and all is good! :wink:
Welcome to the forum Dr. Your imput will be very valuable. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett