Long claws

Vandal03

Long claws

Post by Vandal03 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:17 pm

I've got a vizsla with long claws - when I trim his back nails to the quick, the two outside nails are still just about at the floor. Will trimming nails more often shrink the quick over time so I can trim him a little shorter?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Long claws

Post by Karen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:32 pm

Yes, if you trim nails every 10 days or so, you should be able to chase the quick back without making your dog bleed. I like to use a dremel to do nails. I think it gives me more control and the heat it generates while grinding helps chase the quick back also (this is just my observations...I have no scientific proof of this).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Yes. My vet often tells me to " trim more often so the nails don't become long."
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:37 pm

I would recommend a dremel as well, but take your time introducing it to them. If they don't like the dremel, they'll make it a bear to use on them.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:58 pm

simply walking and excercising your dog properly will wear down most of the nails naturally, as for the rest they clip easy

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 am

vikings269 wrote:simply walking and excercising your dog properly will wear down most of the nails naturally, as for the rest they clip easy
Only if it's done on rough/abrasive surfaces. Many city dweller's dogs never get off of carpet except to get onto grass that is as soft as carpet.

Also I've seen a lot of black nailed dogs who's nails are so tough that they will still need trimmed unless they are running in gravel or shale daily.
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Okvet03

Post by Okvet03 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:07 am

I usually recommend playing fetch on your driveway (assuming traffic is light). My dog tears after the ball, digging into the concrete. The combination of concussion and abrasion causes the quicks to recede leaving the nails fairly smooth. It's sure a lot cheaper and more enjoyable than a nail trim. Just keep an eye on the dews if your dog still has them.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:06 pm

I road my Weim along side my bike on a mix of blacktop, pavement, grass, and gravel and STILL have to trim his nails once every couple of weeks. I've tried to keep them trimmed back as far as possible but without fail, they continue to grow long. Each is different in some aspect I'm assuming.

Vandal03

Post by Vandal03 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Thanks for the replies - good ideas. I think I'm stuck trimming nails. I wish I could have them abrade down on their own, but my pups are city dwellers. Outside of hunting season they only leave the couch when my wife lets them on my bed.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:40 am

I'm in South Louisiana where the only stone is poured or imported, and nail trimming's a must. Have recently started Dremeling nails, instead of clipping them, and it does seem to be pushing the quicks back.

Took the trouble of introducing the running Dremel tool as a good thing, and the dogs are much more cooperative with it than they were with clippers - little doubt because I've not cut a quick with it. Something the Dremel probably gives them the opportunity it indicate is about to happen before it does. Here's a link to the instructional guide I used: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/ ... remel.html
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 am

Rick Hall wrote:Took the trouble of introducing the running Dremel tool as a good thing, and the dogs are much more cooperative with it than they were with clippers - little doubt because I've not cut a quick with it. Something the Dremel probably gives them the opportunity it indicate is about to happen before it does. Here's a link to the instructional guide I used: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/ ... remel.html

I agree. I started using a dremel and I introduced it to my dog, and she just sits there and hands me her front paws when I am ready. Great way to stay up on the nails.. IMO

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:24 pm

I havent trimmed nails on our old golden for years, and he rarely gets off the couch. Believe it or not, he chews them off himself!

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:58 pm

I havent trimmed nails on our old golden for years, and he rarely gets off the couch. Believe it or not, he chews them off himself!
Hilarious you mention this as my chessie does the same but i feared posting it as i didnt believe anyone would believe me, lol

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:49 am

Sounds like those nail biters are watching too many stressful soap operas. Might want to get 'em out of the house more or at least try the Outdoor Channel.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:34 am

My 8 mo. old GSP pup is a nail biter and I hope she doesn't grow out of it !!
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Another dremel user here. My GSP will sit on my lap while I do it.

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:30 pm

ive also had issues with trying to keep the nails short. i trim about twice a month yet they are still fairly long for my taste but have come to accept that my dog just has long nails. they dont touch the floor or anything but anyways. i bought one of those as seen on TV pedipaws things. dont get it, its weak, very weak. i was thinking it was going to have some strength behind it but i have to clip the nails and then basically use that thing as a file. i have a dremel somewhere in one of my tack trunks that ill probbaly try out after reading this thread.
Brian