How long would you wait

romeo212000

How long would you wait

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:16 pm

My youngest female is not feeling well. She hasn't shown any interest in two days in eating and had some nasty diarreah yesterday. Her stools have gotten solid again but she still doesn't want to eat. I took her out for some exercise and she ran a little but wasn't that enthusastic. How many days of not eating would you wait to take her to a vet?

Fireside

Re: How long would you wait

Post by Fireside » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:49 pm

SHe needs to be at the vet NOW.

How old is she and is she drinking?

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:54 pm

She is almost 2 and she is drinking fine.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:13 pm

when i have all that going on I do consult with my vet

how are her gums ? press on them how long does it take for the color to come back

how are her eyes dull looking

if she has over all being down...i would go in
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:29 pm

If there is no evidence or suspicion of a problem I would go to a vet fro 3 to 4 days at least. Sounds like she is getting better so I would watch and make sure she doesn't start to relapse in any way. If dogs get sick to the stomach it will normally be 3 to 4 days to get back to normal. My female is coming in heat and didn't eat for 2 days and started to eat again on the third day but no real appetitetill the fifth day. The males may go most of a week without eating so I normally don't worry much about it unless there is something else going on. You might take her temp if you can.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Her nose is dry and warm. The color returns to her gums about a second after pressing on them so i don't think it is anemia. She has pretty much just laid in her house with her head hung out the door all night. Like I said she is drinking water, and had solid stools today but still won't eat.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm

since she isn't eating what do her stools look like

and a second that is a bit a little slow but not shocky low

how does her abdomen feel is she tender

when was she in heat last

i don't like it when i get what your describing to me as ..to low for my liking

i will work my tricks of the trade as long as there is some life to them but if they are off laying down and warm...causes me more concern
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:06 pm

Her last couple of stools have been prety solid. I just checked and her nose is cold and wet again. Also, she was in heat in January so it shouldn't be that.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Ok feel a tad bit better
when it comes to females specially with in 21 days after a heat cycle I am very watchful as anytime the cervix is open such as a heat cycle or being bred or having pups pyometria is something i am alert for on the females...it is rare but it can and does happen and many of the things you describe are some of the red flags

watch her carefully if she doesn't perk up by morning though I would at least call the vet and go from there

also since she isn't feeling good you might want to offer her some rice and cottage cheese

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:57 pm

My vet says 2 days without eating or one day without drinking, and she wants a call.

Knine: What are the possibilities of bloat? They will drink with bloat but won't eat. If it's bloat she needs to see the vet asap.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

daniemeade

Post by daniemeade » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:57 pm

My father-in-law had a female GSP that had similar symtoms and she deteriated over night. By the time she got to the vet the next day it was to late. Get her to the vet or at least call right away just to be safe.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Sharon wrote:My vet says 2 days without eating or one day without drinking, and she wants a call.

Knine: What are the possibilities of bloat? They will drink with bloat but won't eat. If it's bloat she needs to see the vet asap.
Knock on wood

that is something I haven't had a problem with
but yes is a list of things that can be wrong

my thing is of the are not feeling good i have things i will do and try from the scoots throwing up but if they are down hudled in a corner not active I call my vet

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Sharon wrote:My vet says 2 days without eating or one day without drinking, and she wants a call.

It isn't bloat several days later. If it was bloat you would only have a couple of hours of agony till the dog died.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 pm

I would think if it was bloat the dog would look bloated plus would be in shock by now.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 pm

I would definetly check the temp, nose has nothing to do with it. Normal temp can be up to 102. Also, if she was in heat in Jan this would be around whelp time. Sometimes a female will show symptoms around this time if in a false pregnancy. I had a female that would go off her food for 4-5 days at this time.
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:53 pm

I had a female that went into false pregnacy every year and would come to her milk and not eat for several days to a week. I guess it is just a hormone imbalance. But it is not unusual for a dog to go off feed for a few days and then come right back to eating like they always do.

Ezzy

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Ezzy I started to post the same thing but the loose stool with it I don't recall but false pregnancies can be wierd.The timing is about right also.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Well her nose is dry again. She was not the least bit interested in coming out of her house when I checked on her. I pulled her out and looked at her. She was clearly not feeling good. She has not had another bowel movement and has not eaten. I will put a call into the vet tomorrow and see what they recommend. It's not bloat. The last day she ran hard was Sunday for a little over an hour. She didn't show symptoms until yesterday when I got home from work. She ran around a little today. i didn't push her hard. I just walked around and let her ease around for about 20 mins. She ran a little but not hard at all. I am hoping she starts perking up tommorrow.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Last edited by Sharon on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:57 pm

When you ran her the other day did she jump up in to anything

here is something I have seen happen a few times over the years a client his dog went to jump in to the back of his van she didn't quite jump right and smacked her belly into the edge of the van floor with in a few hours she wasn't acting right he took her to the vet ...when thy opened her up she had busted her bladder they lost her :(

a few years later I had a female she went to jump in to the kennel box in the back of out six wheeler she also mis judged and smack her belly in the the tail gate

about a day later she wasn't acting right i thought she was bound up rushed her in the next morning ...at first we thought she had pyometria so when doc went to do an emergency spay he opened her up and her bladder was busted almost lost her 3 times on the table doc saved her and she didn't have to be spayed

anyways extremely rare but another thing which i just remembered

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:02 pm

I'M NOT GOOD AT ALL THIS SELF DIAGNOSIS. FROM WHAT YOU HAVE SAID..I'D BE AT THE VET...SO WHAT IF THE VET TELLS YOU SHE'S OK..THAT IS WHAT YOU NEED TO CONFIRM.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:26 am

kninebirddog wrote:When you ran her the other day did she jump up in to anything

here is something I have seen happen a few times over the years a client his dog went to jump in to the back of his van she didn't quite jump right and smacked her belly into the edge of the van floor with in a few hours she wasn't acting right he took her to the vet ...when thy opened her up she had busted her bladder they lost her :(

a few years later I had a female she went to jump in to the kennel box in the back of out six wheeler she also mis judged and smack her belly in the the tail gate

about a day later she wasn't acting right i thought she was bound up rushed her in the next morning ...at first we thought she had pyometria so when doc went to do an emergency spay he opened her up and her bladder was busted almost lost her 3 times on the table doc saved her and she didn't have to be spayed

anyways extremely rare but another thing which i just remembered

Not really she doesn't jump into anything. She always just puts her front paws on the tailgate and lets me pick her up. Avoiding injury is part of the reason I prefer it that way.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 am

If she is not coming out of her house & you have to pull her out I think it's time for the vet.Hope everything is ok.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:31 am

I had to leave for work early this morning so I did not get to check on her. My wife says she is out of her house not and acting a little better but had real dark (almost black) diarreah.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:06 am

I'm definitely not rich, but I have a little worry wart in me.....so I would take her for a basic check up and see what's recommended from there. In my experience, waiting too long only gets a person a much bigger vet bill or at worst an animal beyond repair. I hope everything turns out okay too.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:25 am

Wife is on her way to the vet with her. Doc wants to keep her overnight.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:31 am

Keep us posted :(

saying some prayers and sending mojo your way

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:09 pm

Doc called. She is perking up a little and she ate some wet dog food. We'll see tomorrow.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Did the Vet run any tests?

Okvet03

Post by Okvet03 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm

Curious how everything turned out. Let us know if you have a chance.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Sorry about that guys. I had to judge a trial this weekend and I have been real busy. She is coming around fine. The vet took her for one night and he ran a chem test. Everything was actually normal. I got her back Friday and we actually went for a run today. She ran good and started eating solid food again tonight. I think she will be fine. Thanks for the concern

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:47 pm

That is great to hear

so glad everything came out fine ...hate to see them not feeling good

thank you for the update

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:23 pm

This dog is driving me nuts. She is acting better. We went for a run yesterday and she did fine and even ate some dry food yesterday evening. Today she is out and about but won't eat anything. I put dry food down, then mixed some wet food with it and she still won't eat. She has lost weight I can tell but she is still coming out of her house and walking around the kennel.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:18 am

I'm not a vet but if my dog showed weight loss from an unknown problem and still didn't want to eat, I'd be going back to the vet. The vet did an initial examination but it's time for a more thorough work-up - ultrasound. blood work?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:37 am

Not trying to scare anyone but I recently lost a dog to liver failure, he would feel fine, then stop eating and lose weight, feel good then down again, vet finally ran blood test liver values were slightly elevated, put him on meds, three weeks after being on the meds, he started acting "drunk" took him to the emergencey vet liver values had sky rocketed and he started having seziures. Had to put him down. Still never found out what caused the hepatitis of the liver.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:15 pm

Vet did a blood workup and nothing abnormal showed up. He did say her eating might not return to normal for almost a week.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 pm

I am at my wits end here. My girl is acting pretty normal but I can't harly get her to eat anything. She has lost weight because of it and looks awful. I don't have any idea what could be causing this. She acts like she wants to eat at times but can't. I am wondering if she might not have a sore in her mouth because she will lick at wet food but not grab it and eat it. Today she ate a handful of dry food but wouldn't eat any more after that. Part of the reason I say this is because I gave her a little piece of hot dog and she grabbed it and tried to chew it but wound up spitting it back out. Her stools are pretty good. I don't know what to do. I am taking her back to the vet tomorrow though I have no idea what to look for.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Could she possibly have a bad tooth or teeth that have become very sensitive??

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:21 pm

Possible. I will run it by the vet tomorrow.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:36 pm

ditto on something wrong in the mouth possibilty

maybe she chewed on something and it wedged up and got infected...or cracked or broke a tooth

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:44 am

ok i just read all the posts and i think every one is on the right track i am not a vet but i am a NURSE so here is what i would do if she was my dog first i would get her out of her house open the mouth look at all the teath and clean them if she shows any signs of discomfert look at that tooth vary close see if its cracked or if there is any swelling around the base or redness check her temp if its above 104 she has infection from somewere look the mouth over vary well to see if she has any open or red spots if all this is clear then you need to take her back to the vet ASAP she could be having a problem that was missed on the first vist now you should not take her out to run if she is not eating you will start to burn off mussle she needs to have fat to burn this is all just my opin :mrgreen: so take it for what you payed for it i just got off the phone with my vet (a freind ) she said if it were one of my dogs she would have me bring it in to the dark stool can meen blood and the up and down can show that its not all the time so take her in PLEASE :( :( :( :(
RICHARD NANCE

tlsgcs

Post by tlsgcs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:52 am

Quick question, is this the same dog that you posted about in the Training section that ate a bird at the field trial? If so then this whole appetite on and off thing has been around for a while. This thread here http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 89&t=17567

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:19 am

Yes it's the same dog, and one thing has nothing to do with the other. She always has eaten everything she could get her mouth on. The bird eating things has nothing to do with what she is doing now. It just may have to do with the fact that she was hungry at the time of the trial. This is much different from anything she has ever done before.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:37 am

I'm with bowhunter, about getting her to the vet again...and maybe a 2nd opinion. I hope it's something simple for her. But after 2 weeks, it sounds like she's in an ongoing battle, and just having better days than others along the way. Were any tests/xrays done to see if there was a partial bowel obstruction? I remembered reading the post below, and there might be some similarities with the dark possibly bloody stools, lethargy, and lack of appetite. If there's not anything showing, perhaps there's still an internal laceration and infection. Just a thought. I hope someone can figure this out, and she gets well soon.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 94&t=17300

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Vet says there is not temperature and no vomiting so he doubts any kind of infection. The odd thing is she acts prettty normal except for not eating and a little less energy due to the lack of food intake. Her stools don't look that bad either. He says he is going to run a Barium (sp?) test on her to see if a blockage or something shows up. If not he fears we might possibly be looking at something like Addison's. I don't know much about it except that it is treatable but the dog isn't the same and it usually only lengthens their lifespan by a couple of years before they crash. Here's to praying that something shows up in the test. Maybe from those two birds she ate.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Again, I hope a blood test for thyroid was done. Either a high normal or low normal can indicate a problem. Normal ranges are set too wide for optimum health on several tests especially thyroid. Just something to seriously consider.
big steve

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:15 pm

How would a thyroid explain her not wanting to eat but everything else being normal?

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:50 pm

romeo212000 wrote:...... If not he fears we might possibly be looking at something like Addison's. I don't know much about it except that it is treatable but the dog isn't the same and it usually only lengthens their lifespan by a couple of years before they crash. Here's to praying that something shows up in the test. Maybe from those two birds she ate.
Addison's disease (Hypoadrenocorticism)
Addison's disease is also known as hypoadrenocorticism. It is an insufficient production of adrenal hormones by the adrenal gland. Since these hormones are essential for life, this is an extremely serious disease and it must be treated as such.

Adrenal insufficiency can be primary or secondary. Primary adrenocorticism affects salt/potassium balance in the body and glucorticoid as well. Secondary adrenocorticism usually only affects the glucocorticoids. It is not known why primary adrenocorticism occurs but it may be an immune mediated process. Secondary adrenocorticism probably occurs most often when prednisone or other cortisone being administered for medical reasons are suddenly withdrawn. It can occur as a result of pituitary cancer or some other process that interferes with production of hormones that stimulate the adrenal glands.

Most dogs with Addison's disease initially have gastrointestinal disturbances like vomiting. Lethargy it also a common early sign. Poor appetite can occur as well. These are pretty vague signs and it is extremely easy to miss this disease. More severe signs occur when a dog with hypoadrenocorticism is stressed or when potassium levels get high enough to interfere with heart function. Dogs with this problem will sometimes suffer severe shock symptoms when stressed, which can lead to a rapid death. When potassium levels get high heart arrythmias occur or even heart stoppage which also is fatal. In some cases, especially secondary Addison's disease, there are no detectable electrolyte changes.

This disease can be picked up by changes in the ratio between sodium or potassium by accident at times. When this happens it is still extremely important to treat for it. It is confirmed by an ACTH response test -- administration of this hormone should stimulate production of adrenal hormones. If this does not occur then hypoadrenocorticism is present. In cases in which the electrolyte levels are normal this is the only test for the problem and it will be missed unless it is looked for specifically. At times this disease can be hard to differentiate from renal failure because the symptoms and even the bloodwork can be similar ---- so the ACTH response test may be necessary to differentiate them.

Treatment for this disease is usually done by oral administration of fludrocortisone acetate (Flurinaf), salting the food, and administration of corticosteroids like prednisone. In a crisis situation this disorder must be treated more aggressively with intravenous fluids, IV glucocorticoids and correction of acid/base balances.

You have to pay close attention to a dog with this problem. Don't ignore any changes in appetite, GI disturbances or anything else that makes you think your dog is ill. If you work with your vet and are careful about following his or her directions this disease has a good prognosis when it is discovered before a crisis occurs....
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:38 am

we found out the hard way about addisons and end results we will never kennel a dog again with it

I pray it is something fixable

but if it is addisons ...how the dog deals with stress will have a big influence on how the over all quality the dog will have

some dogs even having company over can trigger issues

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 am

If it is addison's I don't think it would be fair to make her live with it just so I could keep her around.