How long would you wait

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: How long would you wait

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:26 am

some dogs do fine for some time once the meds are in the system

it really is a case by case basis

but any stress - sever stress cause cause symptoms to crop up

there are some forums with other people who have dogs with addisons do a google search forthem...they can really answer many questions about the disease
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Last year one of our club members lost his Drathar to a perforated colon. The problem was caused by the ingestion of a Wisteria plant near her kennel. Some of the symptoms associated with your problem sounded familiar so I went back and looked for the list of possible toxic plants that are commonly used in landscaping that can be deadly if ingested. There might be others but this is what the had posted on our website.

Foxgloves
Bittersweet Nightshade
Mistletoe
Wisteria
Winterberry Shrubs (Holly)
Mountain Laurels
Azalea
Rhododendron
Castor Bean
English Boxwood Shrubs
Juniper
Hyacinths
Narcissus
Clematis
Perwinkle
Virginia Creeper
Privet Hedges
Creeping Charlie Weed
Japenese and English Yews
Jasmine
Latana
Peony Plants

Here are some links to other poisionus plants

Website
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc

More Toxic Plants @
http://www.geocities.com/ccrhearts/Plant.html?200815

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:25 pm

THanks. I just talked to the vet. He said he had some good news. The Barium was not making its way through her system. There is something causing a blockage. I say god news because it explains the symptoms and is treatable.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:50 pm

The vet waited long enough. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Hopefully it is treatable and that it didn't cause to much damage to the intestines

keep us posted and sending you some Mojo
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:19 pm

romeo212000 wrote:THanks. I just talked to the vet. He said he had some good news. The Barium was not making its way through her system. There is something causing a blockage. I say god news because it explains the symptoms and is treatable.
Let us know how it turns out. Good to hear it isn't Addison's.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:18 am

Doing surgery first thing this morning. Looking at the x-rays it looks like the small intestine may have rolled back into itself with sort of a telescope effect. They know exactly where to go look. I should get a call around noon. I can't blame the vet for anything. They did a good job in my opinion. I took her in after she was sick for a couple of days. All of her symptoms cleared up and we thought she needed a little time to get her appetite back to normal. When it was obvious that wasn't happening he did xrays. Considering how short of a time ago I took her to the vet for just being sick I don't think the vet was dragging his feet. Pray for her.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:05 am

Think you are right. Hope it turns out OK. I am curious if they can findout why it happened. Thats what worries me when you don't know and wonder if it will happen again.

Good luck and I'll be thinking about both you and the pup.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:59 am

Thoughts and prayers for you and your pup. Hang in there........................markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 am

oh that is scary sounds like a piece of string or something.....small enough to catch the intestine in not go through ...which causes the intestine to accordion on itself... :(

keep us posted sending extra mojo your way

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:52 am

She is out of surger and the doc seems really optimistic. He said he thinks we got her fixed up. Turns out it was an ACE Bandage. About 2 feet long actually. He said she should be back to normal before I know it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 am

Great! I figured it was a sock or cloth of some type if it was still there. Don't quite understand just what prompts them to eat something like that. I have a couple that like to eat the dishrag, a hankerchief or socks. Been lucky so far that they have always passed them through. Sure glad you got it taken care of and hope she recovers quickly.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:46 am

Wow, they eat some crazy things. Our #2 GSP ate an entire wool GI combat boot sock. It passed thru his entire system and got stuck during exit. The mrs had him out in the desert for exercise and had to xtract it with a stick to which I never hear the end of it. Glad the doc got everything out and she recovers ok.....................markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.