Pro Plan Performance

nanney1

Pro Plan Performance

Post by nanney1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 am

Anyone have a dog that doesn't seem to care for Pro Plan Performance? My two Bernese Mountain Dogs have been on nothing but Pro Plan since my current 10 month old pup was 2 months old.

Have fed Pro Plan Puppy and adult Chicken and Rice and both my adult dog and pup ate with enthusiasm.

I noticed that by the end of my first bag of Performance, that both dogs seemed to slow down and not dive into the food. Now they don't finish the food and it takes them much longer to eat what they do eat. I have backed off the amount and they still won't finish and seem bored with the food.

I've been very happy with the results of the Pro Plan in terms of energy, coat quality, clean up and steady growth for my pup.

MikeB

Re: Pro Plan Performance

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 pm

They may not like the taste. I would go back to the adult Chicken /Rice that they liked and stick with it. I think the 30/20 is to high for growing really large breeds like your.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Adult Chicken and Rice is no longer available, and my dogs lost weight on the new Shredded formula. That's why I switched to Performance.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Are they getting good exercise? Exercise makes a dog hungry often.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:42 am

Both get plenty of exercise. In fact, the younger one has been getting more exercise than usual of late and she has been the one that really lost interest the most. Perhaps she has plateaued on growing and is slowing down as far as metabolism.

The complete lack of enthusiasm is what seems strange. I used to put the food down and have to give a stay command, followed by get-it. This was to prevent her from knockng the food out of my hands in order to get to the food. During the stay, she is just busting to get the food. Now I tell her to stay and then realize she isn't even near the food. She'll come over and sniff and when I walk away, she may walk with me instead of eating immediately. Maybe it's the smell that isn't as appealing?

I also used to feed the younger and older dog separately because the pup would wolf it down quickly and then badger the older dog who is a much slower feeder. And she was eating more food than him. I've recently tried feeding them together to see if that would encourage them and it has to some extent.

They are eating, but I want to make sure the young dog is maintaining weight. I'll take her to weigh this week.