Nutrena Loyall Stools

gmanksu

Nutrena Loyall Stools

Post by gmanksu » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 pm

I have a dog that has been on Nutrena Loyall Professional and I have been happy with the results of the food as far as performance, body condition, and stool volume. I just want to know if others who maybe feeding it that notice the stools are almost black in color? If so, do you know if the bentonite in the food cause this or something else?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Nutrena Loyall Stools

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Bentonite doesn't cause it. Bentonite is a light colored clay that is used in very small amounts in some feeds as a binder to keep the pellets ot other textures together and not break aprt and cause a lot of fines or meal in the bag and in some feeds where they spray on fat or other liquids it can be used to keep the pieces from sticking to each other and forming lumps. The dark stools are quite often associated with the animal protien source.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:48 pm

I swithced my dog from puppy food to loyall pro a few months ago and he seems to be doing great on it. The stools are possibly darker but not black.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Dark stools are normally drier and harder. Not sure what difference it makes what color they are. I would rather look at the dog and forget the stool unless the dog is sick. You will find however, the if you cut back on the feed the stool will get darker.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

gambel

Post by gambel » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:14 pm

I concur wholeheartedly with Ezzy. Those are the type of stools and I am looking for if the dogs look good, have good energy, and appear to be doing well. I started a thread a while back on Nutrena (Loyall) and not many had been feeding it at the time. I was looking to switch from Pro Plan Performance (great food just a little pricey when feeding several dogs). I made a switch to another dog food (will not name, doesn't really matter) and the stools were a little lose but the quantity skyrocketed and I had a pointer that started to lose noticeable weight, so I am in the process of converted to Nutrena and will be totally converted to it within the next week. My dogs look great, they have good energy, the pointer's weight is coming back and the stools have reduced dramatically. They are darker and will probably get darker than they are once I am totally coverted, but they are harder and less messy by far than before. I have also noticed a fair decline in food intake(quantity). I think this is a combination of the food and possibly the weather (warming up a bit) and I have been pleased with the Nutrena. I am feeding Loyall Professional 31/20. It's definitely not the cheapest food out there but I am paying the same for 50lbs vs 37.5lbs of PPP. I am happy so far!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:50 pm

I was just looking up bentonite as I am am getting ready to switch to loyall and looks like it yes is used as a binder but it has intestinal benefits also
The idea of eating clay to promote internal healing will undoubtedly appear to many as farfetched, if not a little primitive.
bentonite

But natural clay, especially the form known as "bentonite clay", has not only been used medicinally for hundreds of years by indigenous cultures around the planet, but has, in recent years, been increasingly used by practitioners of alternative medicine as a simple but effective internal cleanser to help in preventing and alleviating various health problems.

The name "bentonite clay" refers to a clay first identified in cretaceous rocks in Fort Benton, Wyoming. Although bentonite deposits can be found throughout the world, many of the largest concentrations of clay are located in the Great Plains area of North America.

Bentonite is not a mineral, but a commercial name for "montmorillonite", the active mineral in many medicinal clays. The name ""montmorillonite" comes from the city Montmorillon, in France, where the medicinal clay was first identified.

Bentonite clay - used by indigenous tribes and animals for centuries

Clay is one of the most effective natural intestinal detoxifying agents available to us and has been used for hundreds of years by native tribes around the globe.

Primitive tribes have traditionally used various types of clay for conditions of toxicity. Dr. Weston A. Price in his book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (1), stated that in studying the diets of native tribes he examined their knapsacks. Among the tribes examined in the high Andes, in Central Africa and the Aborigines of Australia, Dr. Price reported that some knapsacks contained balls of volcanic ash clay, a little of which was dissolved in water. Pieces of food were then dipped into the clay.

Animals in the wild, drawn to clay deposits by instinct, have been observed licking the clay as part of their everyday diet as well as rolling in it to get relief from injuries.

Liquid bentonite for elimination

Taken internally, liquid bentonite supports the intestinal system in the elimination of toxins. Liquid bentonite is inert which means it passes through the body undigested.

Bentonite clay is made up of a high number of tiny platelets, with negative electrical charges on their flat surfaces and positive charges on their edges.
When bentonite clay absorbs water and swells up, it is stretched open like a highly porous sponge. Toxins are drawn into these spaces through electrical attraction and bound. In fact, according to the Canadian Journal of Microbiology (2), bentonite clay can reportedly absorb pathogenic viruses, as well as herbicides and pesticides. The bentonite is eventually eliminated from the body with the toxins bound to its multiple surfaces.
bentonite clay

Bentonite clay and diarrhea

In his book "The Clay Cure" (3), Ran Knishinsky discusses how diarrhea can be remedied through the use of bentonite clay because of its ability to bind stools. Bentonite clay can take effect right away by binding to irritants in the gastrointestinal tract. It's a good idea to mix the bentonite clay with 1 cup of applesauce, which not only makes the clay more palatable, but also adds pectin, which is another binding agent.

Bentonite has many uses

Bentonite is used in pharmaceuticals, medical and cosmetics markets. Bentonite is used as a filler in pharmaceutical drugs, and due to its absorption-adsorption capabilities, it allows paste formation. Bentonite is used in industrial protective creams, wet compresses, and anti-irritant lotions for eczema. In medicine, bentonite is used as an antidote in heavy metal poisoning. Personal care products such as mud packs, baby powder, sunburn paint, and face creams may contain bentonite.
anyways that is what I found in my research as I also was questioning the use of bentonite in the food after learning about it I just might add it to my diet :wink: :lol: 8) :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:10 pm

As I have explained before, we have used it for sometime. It all began as an agent to reduce feeds setting up and getting hard by dusting the particles with bentonite. Then re found it acted as a binder that reduced the fines in the bag which was all waste. Then we discovered when doing the test ti insure it wasn't causing a problem that the animals getting it actually had some nutritional response so that was researched. It seems to act as a sedative for the digestive system, especially for the intestine. It takes a rather small amount so it is used normally somewhere near .5% of the formula in most cases. Just another example of what research does for nutritional knowledge and how our dog food manufactures help us benefit even though many people resist the changes from what we have become accustomed to in the past.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 pm

bentonite is used for stool formation, and that is it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:23 pm

mcbosco wrote:bentonite is used for stool formation, and that is it

This is an opinion and is not even based on fact.

Ezzy

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 pm

That is total BS Ezzy. Bentonite absorbs many, many times its weight in water. It might have ancillary benefits in production but once its in the digestive tracts it forms the stools the marketing guys dreams of. It is the primary ingredient in cat litter, as you probably know.

I have been at the meetings.

That stuff has no business in dog food.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm

mcbosco wrote:That is total BS Ezzy. Bentonite absorbs many, many times its weight in water. It might have ancillary benefits in production but once its in the digestive tracts it forms the stools the marketing guys dreams of. It is the primary ingredient in cat litter, as you probably know.

I have been at the meetings.

That stuff has no business in dog food.
You know not of what you speak. I have posted on another thread exactly what the progression was in the feed use. I can do that because I was there. Also Knine just posted a good piece as she researched the use of it and found some of the results of using it for nutritional tract health.

Try to find it some where to believe some of the material that is being presented to you. There really are reasons why we use the ingredients we do in the feeds we produce.

Ezzy

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm

It's very likely that bentonite has water absorbing qualities and also other micronutrient benefits as has been discussed. To say that it should not be in dog food is a bit picky.
big steve

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Bentonite has enormous water absorbing properties. It is used in everything from oil and gas drilling mud to constructing ponds to toxic clean-up. It is a bulking, clumping and sealing compound. Some believe that it has cleansing properties and that might be the case but that's not why its in certain dog foods.

I have asked all these questions in my career as well Ezzy. It is in dog food for one reason, well two, for production purposes and stool formation.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 pm

gambel wrote:I concur wholeheartedly with Ezzy. Those are the type of stools and I am looking for if the dogs look good, have good energy, and appear to be doing well. I started a thread a while back on Nutrena (Loyall) and not many had been feeding it at the time. I was looking to switch from Pro Plan Performance (great food just a little pricey when feeding several dogs). I made a switch to another dog food (will not name, doesn't really matter) and the stools were a little lose but the quantity skyrocketed and I had a pointer that started to lose noticeable weight, so I am in the process of converted to Nutrena and will be totally converted to it within the next week. My dogs look great, they have good energy, the pointer's weight is coming back and the stools have reduced dramatically. They are darker and will probably get darker than they are once I am totally coverted, but they are harder and less messy by far than before. I have also noticed a fair decline in food intake(quantity). I think this is a combination of the food and possibly the weather (warming up a bit) and I have been pleased with the Nutrena. I am feeding Loyall Professional 31/20. It's definitely not the cheapest food out there but I am paying the same for 50lbs vs 37.5lbs of PPP. I am happy so far!
I wish you would tell us the name of the food you had problems with, but I guess I can understand why you won't. :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:17 pm

mcbosco wrote:Bentonite has enormous water absorbing properties. It is used in everything from oil and gas drilling mud to constructing ponds to toxic clean-up. It is a bulking, clumping and sealing compound. Some believe that it has cleansing properties and that might be the case but that's not why its in certain dog foods.

I have asked all these questions in my career as well Ezzy. It is in dog food for one reason, well two, for production purposes and stool formation.
You are right on about the absorbtion qualities of the clay. It get very sticky when wet and is used for temperary patches when drilling and for leaking tanks among other things. we used in to try and patch a leak in our pond.

You may use it to dry up your dogs stool but my dogs have kidneys that do that job beautifully. But since you know, I will tell the people formulating our dog food to get it out of there before they plug up the dog and cause a lot of problems. Maybe we should get the limestone out of it too, since we all know a dog shouldn't eat stone. And the potash and phosphate as well. Nothing but rocks that shouldn't be in a dog food.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:18 pm

mcbosco wrote:Bentonite has enormous water absorbing properties. It is used in everything from oil and gas drilling mud to constructing ponds to toxic clean-up. It is a bulking, clumping and sealing compound. Some believe that it has cleansing properties and that might be the case but that's not why its in certain dog foods.

You are right on about the absorbtion qualities of the clay. It get very sticky when wet and is used for temperary patches when drilling and for leaking tanks among other things. we used in to try and patch a leak in our pond.

You may use it to dry up your dogs stool but my dogs have kidneys that do that job beautifully. But since you know, I will tell the people formulating our dog food to get it out of there before they plug up the dog and cause a lot of problems. Maybe we should get the limestone out of it too, since we all know a dog shouldn't eat stone. And the potash and phosphate as well. Nothing but rocks that shouldn't be in a dog food.

Ezzy