English pointer puppy. help please.

Elias

English pointer puppy. help please.

Post by Elias » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:28 am

50days old...living indoor...all my house i made of parquet but i've got some carpets on the floor...will runing on parquet and sliding make him dysplasic?
and about the nutrition, what can i add to his dry food other than milk to strenghten his bones and get him all muscular besides regular exercise.
thanx

GhillieSuit22

Re: English pointer puppy. help please.

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 pm

We have hardwood floors throughout our whole house. Even after adding area rugs throughout the house, one of our dogs developed bad knee joints in both rear legs. We had to have surgery because she would struggle to get up and she was only two. It is very important to provide surface where the dog is not slipping especially ones who are prone to hip/knee issues.

It is easy to see that they are much more comfortable on carpet. We ended up getting a huge chunk of nice carpet and took it to a binder. I know it defeats the purpose of wood/hard floors but after seeing what our pup went through, it was worth it. Not too mention, surgery is not cheap...$3500 later. She has never been the same either. It probably didn't help that she used to chase the cats and slip all over the floors.

Hope this helps.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Elias, Dogs cannot digest milk the way we can- they lack the proper enzymes. This usually results in upset stomaches and diarrhea. Spare your pup this. If you want to supplement (which for a pup, there really is no need to if he's on a decent puppy or "all life stages" food) talk to your vet and (s)he will let you know what is appropriate.

If you're worried about dysplasia: don't let him get overweight, don't over-exercise him too young, and just make sure he isn't always slipping around/stressing his joints.

Good luck with him.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 pm

I have never seen a scientific study linking flooring to dysplasia, but the sentiment persists and there certainly have been many old wives tales that have eventually born fruit in scientific circles.
Genetics and nutrition (more specifically overfeeding) are the main culprits identified by science.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:09 pm

dysplasia is not caused by hard wood floors

also Stop the milk Pups can't digest Cows milk though a treat it is not good for them and they can't handle the lactic acids properly after about the 7-8 week mark as previously stated

HD basically in a laymans term it is a mixed message in the dogs joint area which causes the hip socket not to grow or form correctly or to thin out or the femoral head not to form right or both the femoral head and hip socket

feeding to rich a food CaN aid in making a bad situation worse but can't cause it

only thing on slick floor and possible damage from slipping falling and hyper extending
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:33 am

I wasn't trying to sound over dramatic. I was just trying to make the point that the dogs obviously slip on the wood floors. They have no traction and I think it is pretty obvious that it causes stress on their joints. I have seen what it specifically has done in our case, not that it will happen to you. But as long as the dog has a place to go where they have traction, it should be fine. If the dog continues to run and slip on the floors, I would say its an issue. Sorry if I mislead anyone.