Scratch turned infected???

Benny

Scratch turned infected???

Post by Benny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:23 pm

I think 4 days ago we noticed a small bump with a scratch scabbed up on her chest. She gets stuff like that all the time so I didn't pay much mind. Today I was rubbing her belly and noticed it was much bigger. Not quite peach pit, but bigger than an almond (can't think of another fruit or nut the right size). I squeezed it and she doesn't act pained, and it felt firm. Not rock solid, but pretty firm.

Could this just be part of a reaction to an infection from the scratch? Any thoughts?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

MTO4Life

Re: Scratch turned infected???

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 am

What you are describing is something I found on my dogs chest after christmas. It was about the size of an eraser tip on a pencil, with what looked like a scab on it. It wasn't painful at all for the dog. It then started to grow bigger. I took her to the vet, and he gave me a list of what it could be (including cancer, but he didn't think so). He gave her a cream (a type of cortisone creme, the name escapes me at the moment). After about 2 weeks of applications, it started to go down, and eventually away. He said I should be concerned if it started to get bigger, change colour or started to bleed.

Anyhow, maybe a trip to the vet might solve it like mine.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 am

I think I remember the name of the cream. I'm pretty sure it was Panolog.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:32 pm

Did the vet describe what caused the growth--if that's what it can be called? It certainly seems odd that such a bump could form from a scratch unless a stick or something had broken off.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm

No, he was surprised by it. I got the impression it was quite new to him (at least what I told him leading up to this). I didn't know, so I went to see him. Long story short, it is gone now and life is good.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Well that's good. I'll keep my eyes on it, I found a place on-line that carries what you're talking about.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:13 pm

See the vet. Don't self medicate. Could be something much more serious and time is allowing it to get worse.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Sharon wrote:See the vet. Don't self medicate. Could be something much more serious and time is allowing it to get worse.
Hey Sharon, yeah I usually would agree with ya there. Its shrunk back quite a bit, I'd say its less than 3/4 of what it was yesterday, so we're giving it until tomorrow afternoon to make more progress. Our neighbor who's engaged to our roommate (I can't make this stuff up) is a veterinarian, so if no progress we'll have her at least give it a feel.

I'll write back on this for closure
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:43 am

It easily could be a sticker that broke off and infected. They will swell and usually pop out with out help but occasionally it migh require minor surgery. The chest is a good place for that to happen as they run through the cover. I'd watch it and medicate with peroxide or simular product. Bacitracin is a good ointment if you have it.

Bet its gone by now.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:51 am

Benny wrote:
Sharon wrote:See the vet. Don't self medicate. Could be something much more serious and time is allowing it to get worse.
Hey Sharon, yeah I usually would agree with ya there. Its shrunk back quite a bit, I'd say its less than 3/4 of what it was yesterday, so we're giving it until tomorrow afternoon to make more progress. Our neighbor who's engaged to our roommate (I can't make this stuff up) is a veterinarian, so if no progress we'll have her at least give it a feel.

I'll write back on this for closure

Yeh. Yeh. Are you sure you didn't make that up? :mrgreen: :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Sharon wrote: Yeh. Yeh. Are you sure you didn't make that up? :mrgreen: :D
Are you kidding, that's not even the interesting part. A year ago his wife left him for...well lets just say not a guy :o
Thanks Ezzy, and it continues to decrease in size. I just thought the thing was so weird for how firm it was.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Just a finish up:
lump has shrunken down to peanut size. Had veterinarian neighbor take a feel and she thought it was a hematoma, probably hit a stick pretty good, giving the scratch on the surface and good bump.
If it pussed or got larger, then I should be concerned.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot