Shedding and the "firminator brush"

wekorneg

Shedding and the "firminator brush"

Post by wekorneg » Tue May 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Does anyone have experience with this product? I refuse to spend $50 on a brush until i Know if it will work on my 95 lb Lab.

Thanks Alot

fuzznut

Re: Shedding and the "firminator brush"

Post by fuzznut » Tue May 26, 2009 7:32 pm

For a Lab, it will be the best grooming tool you'll own. You will honestly be amazed at the amount of undercoat it will take out. And look for a product called The Stuff... it's something you spray on, then use the furminator..... the hair comes out in bunches. Best if you give a bath, towel dry somewhat and then spray them and rub it in really good. Makes them slick.... great product. Works good for those in-between baths times too, makes em shine like a new penny!

Check Ebay, you can pick a Furminator up for around $30.
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:39 pm

They are 110% worth it. I try and brush my Lab daily with it during the warmer months. A horse shedding blade, (http://www.horsetackinternational.com/i ... -blade.jpg), will work the same, but doesn't pull out quite as much hair..but they are about 1/4 of the price. I use to use the horse one before I got the furminator.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

wekorneg

Post by wekorneg » Tue May 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks alot. Thats alot of help. I will be getting one soon now. Have a great day.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue May 26, 2009 8:47 pm

it is a lot for a brush, but it is unbelievable. You will be amazed. They do make some generics, but I do not know if they do as well.

brandon

YELLERDOGS

Post by YELLERDOGS » Wed May 27, 2009 3:28 am

If you look closely you'll see that it simply is a clipper blade attached to a handle. I love mine for my labs, but remember that it is a blade, so there is a point when the dog is no longer shedding but instead your just "clipping" them. I also have a rubber glove with small bumps on it that we use on horses. It's similar to a curry comb but in the shape of a glove, it works great and you can use it all over the dog. (If i could post a pic of it I would). The best part about the glove....it's only 2 bucks! :D

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:02 am

If I am thinking of the same thing, the glove, (i.e http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/prodimages/trixie/6/6290.jpg), wouldnt do much on (my) Labradors coat. Works great for a shorter hair breed-like a GSP.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Furminator rocks! Worth every penny. Be careful - their corners are sharp. Long strokes with light pressure work best. (Sort of like in life.)
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

wekorneg

Post by wekorneg » Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks, Ill be getting one soon.

YELLERDOGS

Post by YELLERDOGS » Thu May 28, 2009 4:32 am

The glove is similar to that one, but it does work wonders on our labs. It was designed for the horses when they are coming out of winter and shedding their long coats.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Thu May 28, 2009 7:53 am

Last year at this time I was having a serious issue with my male GSP not blowing his coat...he resembled a bear, no kidding! I was told about the Furminator on this forum, and was a bit apprehensive about spending almost $45.00 for the comb and another $20.00 for the shampoo. I was not only 100% satisfied , I was blown away by how well it worked. You could see the results withing 3-4 days, and It was a complete transformation in 10 days. His light brown spots were back to the rich liver color in no time. I continue to use the comb as needed and am using the shampoo in the spring to get things moving along. This spring he wasn't nearly as bad as last year. I would recommend this product, and it's worth every penny.
Bill L.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:52 am

I've never tried the shampoo. I know that whenever they get wet, (either naturally or baths), it helps to brush them right after they dry.

The brush is actually a pretty good deal when you know that groomers charge at least $50/session for a "deshedding treatment".
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu May 28, 2009 11:17 am

I've never heard of this tool before. Does it only work on labs and such (double coated), or will it work on single coat dogs? Just curious, I'm going to have to google it and read up on it!

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:35 pm

For my GSP, I wouldn't use it on her. It would end up hurting her since she doesnt have much hair. I've used to on a French Bulldog and a Golden Retriever and had no issues.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Thu May 28, 2009 12:44 pm

You can get a medium Furminator from an amazon.com vendor for half the price, including shipping, that you're talking about, and the medium is all the bigger I'd want for my Chessie. Great tool. Another, much cheaper one, that I keep in the truck and often hit the dogs a few licks with before we go on runs is Kong's "Zoom Groom". Not as thorough as the Furminator, but it's longer rubber fingers are more effective, and more self-clearing, than the short-nubbed rubber horse curries I've used in the past.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Fri May 29, 2009 1:31 pm

I just went to amazon to purchase a furminator and the large is currently going for $22. This is the price for new brush.

texscala

Post by texscala » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Rick Hall wrote: Great tool. Another, much cheaper one, that I keep in the truck and often hit the dogs a few licks with before we go on runs is Kong's "Zoom Groom". Not as thorough as the Furminator, but it's longer rubber fingers are more effective, and more self-clearing, than the short-nubbed rubber horse curries I've used in the past.
I use both the Furminator and the Zoom groom. Both are great and I would recommend picking both up. The furminator will rip out the undercoat and the zoom groom helps get loose hair off the dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:44 pm

YELLERDOGS wrote:If you look closely you'll see that it simply is a clipper blade attached to a handle. I love mine for my labs, but remember that it is a blade, so there is a point when the dog is no longer shedding but instead your just "clipping" them. I also have a rubber glove with small bumps on it that we use on horses. It's similar to a curry comb but in the shape of a glove, it works great and you can use it all over the dog. (If i could post a pic of it I would). The best part about the glove....it's only 2 bucks! :D
Exactly right . For good grooming it will get a lot of hair but it tends to clip the outer coat instead of the undercoat. Just isn't good for your dogs coat. There is another tool on the market and I can't think what they call it that does the same job but does it right. I can think of the name of it but will see if I can find it and post it on here. I had never seen one before this evening when I was helping get some Brits ready for the showring tomorrow and Sunday. We had the furminator but you just can't use it if you wnt the coat groom properly with out damaging the outer coat.

I will get back tomorrow hopefully and show you this other new tool that works wonders.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:36 am

Surely Furminator blades are, in fact, clipper blades, and I've seen that business about the Furminator cutting hair before, but it didn't cut mine when I tested the notion, and I just ran it through a grand child's thicker golden locks several times without cutting a hair. I suppose if you worked at it long enough, you could cut rope with a butter knife, but most folks probably wouldn't.

Perhaps interestingly, the Chesapeake show fancy knocks the Furminator (and seemingly everything else) not for cutting but for pulling too much undercoat. But here's the January coat of a dog that's groomed pretty much weekly with one:

While I do know enough not to get between show folks and their coat voodoo, I don't see a problem from the hunter's perspective. Will, however, note that my Brittany isn't as keen on the Furminator as the Chessie, and I assume it's because the tool.s sharp little teeth are more apt to get to his skin and grate on it.

Will be watching this one to see what new tool the Brittany fancy favors.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:43 pm

I got one a few weeks ago for my DD. It got all the under coat with out cutting the outer coat. I had to use a stripping knife where I needed to get the outer coat.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:07 am

The furminator is indeed the same as a clipper blade, but it's only one piece of the "set". A clipper blade cuts because there are two parts to it, the top blade stays still and glides through the hair, the bottom blade runs back and forth really fast, thus cutting the hairs. The furminator uses that top blade only. It's really on the same order of a flea comb... very very tight teeth. I don't see how it could really cut the coat but it will fuzz some coats. That's why you should use some sort of spray with it. Something to protect the hairs, and make them a bit slick. The Stuff does that really well.

For Labs and Goldens with those heavy undercoats, a neat trick..... give them a bath and while they are all soaped up, run your slicker brush through the coat. Use gentle strokes because you can really scratch their skin if you use too much pressure. But if you work slow and gently you will be amazed how much undercoat will come out in the brush. Wet hair is clumpy and much easier to clean up than all that dry fuzzy hair blowing all over the house.

No tool takes away all of the work on getting rid of winter undercoat, some just make it easier on the arms!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/