Dry Skin

andreasrossouw

Dry Skin

Post by andreasrossouw » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:39 am

I have realized that my lab pup has dry skin. It looks like flakes. How can it be treated and how can it be avoided?

Will

Re: Dry Skin

Post by Will » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:15 am

The dry skin could be caused by something lacking in his diet or simply the change in the weather.

My shorthair just blew his coat like I've never seen and it was accompanied with dry skin. I added a little oil to his food and kept him brushed out daily. A week later he's looking pretty good again.

I've heard that swimming will help a dog produce more natural oils...and that little guy outta love water.

I'm afraid there is no single answer. It's just something that happens that you adjust for on the fly.

If it's chronic...lasting several weeks....I would definately consider a food change.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:14 pm

My Lab tends to have dry skin, but not this time of year. She gets fish oil daily.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 pm

It is the change of season where i am from. Start of winter so i guess it is the reason.
Fish oil? Tell me more...

I don't think it is chronic but would keep an eye out for it.
Thanks...

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:34 pm

Ahh, okay. My Laradors skin usually gets dry in the winter time. She is 70lbs and gets 4000mg/day..

My 40 GSP gets 2000mg/day.

Its recommended to do 1000mg/20lbs.

I use a people supplement for them thats just the fish oil.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:29 pm

andreasrossouw,

What do you feed your dog on a regular basis?

Daily brushing can help with a slicker brush and get all the dead hair out. I highly believe in adding a supplement year round with each meal. I have used many many products over the years, I have used Animal Naturals K9 Show Stopper for the last couple of years. Never seen anything work better. The best skin and super shinny coat I have ever seen on any dog.

http://www.k9power.com/k9_show_stopper.php

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 am

I only feed him dry dog food(Hills). And throw supplements over his food which the vet gave me. His coat is shiny but the last week i had realized
that he has dry skin. But im not reading too much into it but still just keeping a eye out if problem develops.

I doubt we will get Animal Naturals K9 Show Stopper here in south africa but will have a look around...
Thanks for the feedback...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:55 pm

You could e-mail the company and see what it would cost to ship it to you?

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:34 pm

You first have to see if the skin is dry or oily? Feel the hair on is back and see! You dog may have a case of Seborrhea medical term for dry skin. Seborrhea is usually itchy as well as dry. it comes in two forms dry and oily! If you have a lab it's oily. Pair a dog with seborrhea with an owner who believes that dogs shouldn't be bathed and you have a mess. In fact,frequent bathing is critical to treating seborrhea. A dog who has the world's worst dandruff should be bathed every other day for a week to 10 days,however long it takes to remove the majority of the flakes and debris from the skin. The baths should then be tapered off to twice a week, once a week,and when the disease seems to be completely under control,a minimum of once a mouth. What is inportant is getting rid of the flakes and other skin debris. Shampoo with one that contains coal tar,benzoyl peroxide,or selenium sulphide, which degrease the skin.Wash with warm water and leave on for 10 to 15 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water until all traces of the shampoo are gone. Some dogs that have Seborrhea is a symptom of allergies, a bacterial or fungal skin infection, or parasites.(If a dog has "walking dandruff-small flakes that move he has a skin mite.) In other cases,seborrha is a stand-alone problem. Have your vet check it out to determine whether he needs antibiotics for skin infection,corticosteroids for extreme itchiness or inflammation,treatment for parasites,or other adjuncts to the bathing regime. Good luck!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:53 pm

If the condition is not some kind of infection, try adding extra virgin coconut oil, its cheap and easy to get at a healthfood store. It comes as a solid so you have to grate or scrape it. It smells amazing and it is very very good for skin and coat.

There is a hemp/coconut mixture that I have heard great things about. Just check with a health food store.

hope that helps

sal

waterdogs

Post by waterdogs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:03 pm

My dog has it too. I took her to the vet and and got some meds. She also get a bath 2 times a week with ua special med. shampoo from the vet. It is clearing up but we have a ways to go. She started loosing alot of hair and was almost bald on her back, chest, legs. before I started treatment. I have read and asked around to off lab owners about a product called ZOOM DOG, Well I ordered mine on Monday and hope that it helps.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:47 am

did the vet do a scraping of the skin?

sal

bullseyebill

Post by bullseyebill » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:10 pm

There is also a condition called sebaceous adenitis. The reason I ask is you mentioned "She started loosing alot of hair and was almost bald on her back, chest, legs". Did she have a "moth eaten look". Anyway, ours is treated with fish oil, primrose oil, and Vitamin A. It's helped tremendously and is under control. Good luck with treatment.

Cindy

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 pm

My dogs get salmon oil gel caps.....My one pointer gets more of it as he seems to have more issues than my other two dogs.

All their coats seem improved by the gel caps tho....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno