dog won't drink

naperdog

dog won't drink

Post by naperdog » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:38 pm

Never had a dog before but this seems strange to me. When i have my dog out in the field he won't really drink. I pretty much have to squirt water into his mouth to keep it wet. I have tried using water bottles and a bowl, but he just won't drink.

We aren't really doing any training I am just trying to get him some excercise but I have been cutting sessions shorter than i would like because i don't want him getting overheated. IF he's not drinking is he just not as hot and thirsty as he looks?

nanney1

Re: dog won't drink

Post by nanney1 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:06 pm

You could try flavoring the water with chicken bouillon and see if that helps.

I've read that mushers use fish meal in the water to encourage their sled dogs to drink in cold weather. Not sure where you would find it though.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:13 pm

and maybe he is just not as thristy as you think he should be. I have often seen dogs run past streams and ponds without stopping , and you just feel they must be hot because they have been running hard .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:13 pm

naperdog wrote:Never had a dog before but this seems strange to me. When i have my dog out in the field he won't really drink. I pretty much have to squirt water into his mouth to keep it wet. I have tried using water bottles and a bowl, but he just won't drink.

We aren't really doing any training I am just trying to get him some excercise but I have been cutting sessions shorter than i would like because i don't want him getting overheated. IF he's not drinking is he just not as hot and thirsty as he looks?

I've had dogs with the same "problem". They are so intense about hunting that a wiener wouldn't interest them. I put the water in the trough beside their teeth where they must swallow. If we come across a pond/stream I call them in and make them go in. It 's a nice problem to have - a very intense dog. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Sharon wrote:[. It 's a nice problem to have - a very intense dog. :)
My thoughts exactly. Together, you will learn when you need to break for water. Every dog has a different tolerance. Yours is more tolerant than others. Consider it a blessing.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:02 am

i have a Spinone with a long thick beard, it would be nice if he drank less!!!