Arkat Feed?

pdm0004

Arkat Feed?

Post by pdm0004 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:07 am

Hey everybody, I'll be picking up my new black lab from Magnum Run Kennels in about month and I'm starting to get everything I need together and I was wondering if I could have yalls' opinion on feed. The breeder that I am getting my dog from swears by Arkat feed, which is supposedly a good feed, however I have no knowledge on this brand and would love any input. Also, I have adult formulas in the list as well because I know many people who go strait to adult feed for their working dogs. As of now I'm considering giving him:

Arkat Large Breed Adult 30/20
Diamond Natural Large Breed Puppy 27/15
Diamond Premium Adult 26/18
Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20
Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy

Right now I'm leaning towards Diamond, however I know many who absolutely swear by Eukanuba, but the puppy is already doing well on Arkat(though I will have to drive 2 hours to Birmingham, AL to stock up).

Thanks!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Arkat Feed?

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 am

Why drive just buy it online? I live on the east coast and Arkat is not available here. I know a Spinone breeder in PA that really likes Arkat. His name is Bob Nelson at Busy B's Spinone. I don't feed all dry but my favorites are Annamaet, Artemis, Abady, Orijen and heck Canidae is pretty darn good too, easy to find and pretty good value. I use Abady's M&S and my dog does well on it, along with lots of raw goodies. If you give Abady a week of getting used to, you will need magnifying glasses to find the poop, and I am not kidding. At full ration, my 90lb Spinone only needs 2.5 cups. He went to a kennel/farm for 9 days when we were on vacation and that's all he ate and came back the same weight.

If you don't have a problem with Diamond as a company, Chicken Soup is made by them and I think a great value, if what's on the label is actually in the bag. That stuff is available everywhere.

You are down south, I have a buddy in New Orleans that swears by Extreme Dog Fuel and I think Arkat manufactures it but not 100%.

Good luck with the pup.

sal

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:09 am

All of the feeds you mentioned are good as are a hundred others. The Diamond feeds are probably the best buy for the money. But it is important that you pick one that is readily available in your area. Having to drive to get your food makes no sense and having it delivered is cost prohibitted for any I have seen. I have fed the Diamond Premium with excellent results to our puppies as well as the older dogs. The others I have not used but have seen the results with some others dogs and they have done well.

Just don't get hungup all of the time thinking some other dogfood is better but pick one and stick with it. Your dog will appreciate your wisdom. Good luck with your choice.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:05 am

It all depends on where you live, what is available to you and where you want to buy your dogs food. Diamond Naturals is excellent and less money than most major brands. Feed stores tend to be better priced than retail pet stores. You can start with puppy formula for a few months then transfer to adult through the major growth time. After an adult, if needed you can even feed the Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete.

shets114

Post by shets114 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 pm

Not sure which formula the breeder is feeding currently, but I would imagine it would be the Enhance Puppy, Large Breed Puppy or VF Puppy. I would consider sticking with the current food and I'm sure you will be very happy with it. Either way you can go to www.enhance3022.com and watch some of the videos on there. If you are familiar with the retriever community I'm sure you've heard of some of them.
Enhance is also a Proud Partner with Ducks Unlimited, as with anything DU does they don't just stick the duck head on anything.
Below is a list of stores that carry the food. If you have any further questions or would like some comparisons feel free to PM me or you can call me. 724-316-7598

Gary

Sike's Feed & Seed Inc
1011 Avenue C
Opelika AL 36801
334-745-5301
You are 6 miles away from this dealer.

Waverly Feed
P.O. Box 100
Waverly AL 36879
334-826-8471
You are 13.28 miles away from this dealer.

Hillside Hardware
7078 Hwy 50
Dadeville AL 36853
256-825-0330
You are 23.13 miles away from this dealer.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:32 am

I've tried everything listed, or something close by the same makers, and the dogs they were fed to did better on something else. But the Arkat wasn't available in my area's stores, and they were great about shipping a couple individual bags directly to me for what I thought a reasonable price. So you might want to give 'em a call and see if they'll still do so.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:25 am

Have been on the Arkat foods for better then almost 2 years now and LOVE IT. I alternate, depending on the season between the Enhance Pro Athlete and the VF All Natural Active Adult right now. I have fed the VF Performance with good results but changed to the Enhance when the price of everything spiked sky high last year. My fuel surcharges were crazy! I send the VF Holistic puppy home with all of my puppy buyers too :wink:

All of the brands you list are all decent foods. My personal opinion, based on my experience however is that the Arkat is heads and tails above the rest. :mrgreen:

PS...I don't feed anything with corn, wheat, soy, by products or corn/wheat gluten in the ingredient list...ever.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:40 pm

i am a huge believer in arkat. i have fed it for a couple years now and have great success with it. i have seen GSP's with weight problems on other feeds gain the needed weight on pro athlete in a month and keep it on. I have fed every formula of enhance and would highly recommend all of them. i currently feed the endurance blend. it is well worth looking into and trying. I fed less and have less clean up over every feed i have tried.