for the raw feeders and mixers

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

for the raw feeders and mixers

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:37 pm

http://healthypawsllc.net/splash.asp

this butcher shop has very good stuff and she is running a green tripe special $1.3 LB. For people around NJ/Penn, the stuff ships fine and always arrives frozen solid.

sal

R-Heaton

Re: for the raw feeders and mixers

Post by R-Heaton » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:50 pm

Green Tripe,,,, what is that? Many years back and after some research I found that Tripe was an excellent source of alot of things for dogs,,, so I went down to Albertsons and had them grind some up for me along with the fattest hamburger they sold,,,,the dogs loved it,,, later I found out that the tripe sold because the process of making it human grade has no nutritional value what so ever.

For those that have never ever seen a slab of Tripe,,,, its not pretty.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:51 am

The tripe at the supermarket (the white stuff) is bleached and cleaned. It has no value.

"Green Tripe" while not really that green in color, is rinsed once and then just ground up. It contains protein and great fat but it also has tons of beneficial bacteria, its slighty acidic which is good for teeth, skin and maybe reduces bloat risk for dogs on kibble diets.

It also has digestive enzymes like no other food. The nice thing is that even if they are off of it, you can start again without any stomach upset at all.

I buy the 5lb blocks semi-defrost them and cut them into slices and then half slices and re-freeze. Every once in a while I feed it soley for a day or two.

It smells like a road kill when allowed to get to room temp but not bad cold.

I really like that store, packaging and product are first rate. It is usually a mix of goat, lamb and beef trip from grazed animals.

The stuff in the can is cooked and second rate.

I am waiting for some tripe from a local custom slaughter house that is due next month. All I have to do is give the goat owner a $$ ten-spot and its mine. I know the farmer that raises the animals and they are all pasture raised and essentially organic. Problem is I have to cut it up or grind it myself!!!

sal

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 am

I read on another board that it is available at Wal-Mart food centers. They sell both the white, bleached Tripe and "Brown" Tripe (which is really Green Tripe). In any event, the Brown/Green tripe was available at my local Wal-Mart. It was around $1.29lb. I was tempted to buy some but after reading about the smell and the sticky, gooey texture, decided to pass. Don't think my wife would be crazy about me bring that into the house.

It was packaged in 2-3 lb sizes and looked sort of brown in color. It looked as if it had been rinsed and packaged. It is my understanding that some pieces will have a greenish color and that you may find some ruminant left over once you unpackage.

Supposed to be a 1:1 Calcium to Phosphorus ratio, 15% protein, 11-12% fat and lots of enzymes, fatty acids, good bacteria, etc.... Once you account for the moisture content in the fresh meat, the fat and protein levels will be higher. And dogs are supposed to love it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 am

i didnt know Walmart carried it...nice..the dogs go bonkers over it..some try to roll in the bowl..1.29 is a good price even if its not pasture raised...

did walmart have it in the butcher case?

sal

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:47 am

if your local store sells Bravo Raw, they can order green tripe for you as well.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:50 am

Tripe is one of the most digusting things ever. :lol: My dogs love it though.

Thanks for the heads up!
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:02 am

Sal,

It wasn't in the butcher's case. It was on a styrofoam tray and wrapped in clear plastic. Located near the various organ meats and just under the bleached, white tripe.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 am

thats very odd but maybe local rules there allow it....there is one walmart in NJ near me I will check it out...

stuff is great your dog will never look better