Coughing setter

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Coughing setter

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:04 pm

- coughing setter ( twice an hour)

- 3 year old neutered female

- has all shots ( no bortadella as I don't board her)

- was around some dogs I didn't know a couple weeks ago

Should I wait and see unless it gets worse or see the vet now? Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Coughing setter

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:20 pm

how severe is the cough? does she cough at night? does she cough more when she runs around? is it a deep cough? does she have fever? is she laboring to cough?

sal

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Wow. You should be a detective. :)

The cough is not severe.
She coughs at night.
Running around makes no difference.
No fever.
Not laboring much to cough.

Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Cup your hand rub her throat vigorously for about 15 seconds. Does this result in a coughing fit? It may also be allergies, Benadryl can be used in dogs, may just give her a 1 benadryl in the am and in the pm for a couple of days and see if it helps. If it is kennel cough it must runs its course, vets will usually give antibiotics for secondary infection prevention and cough syrup.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 pm

I tend to be conservative with coughs. I hate to waste money at the vet but I had a JR that coughed at night and she had a heart problem. She lived for 11 years with the condition until almost 19.

Its probably nothing but may be worth a trip to the Doc, especially if it doesn't improve.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Could be a mild kennel cough. If shes feeling good and eating, I would bet on it. They tend to cough more at nite or a.m. If so, would just need to run its course.
brenda

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions folks.
The cough is a little worse to-day.

i've decided to go with kennel cough for now. If it continues much longer i will see the vet to find out if it is something more serious.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Dog has been on antibiotics for 2 days and the coughing has already stopped - of course I will finish the course of pills. Doctor thinks just a URI not KC. as none of the other dogs have it.

Thanks for your help.