Questions about first heat cycle

EddieF

Questions about first heat cycle

Post by EddieF » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:48 am

My 12 mo. old Wirehaired Vizsla is in heat, I've never had a female in heat before.

Leading up to the heat and continuing now she's had a dip in her appetite, which is not that great to start with. But that's not my biggest concern.

She seems to struggle to poop. And when she does, the stools are small and flat, like they've been squished. Does all the swelling back there put pressure on that area and cause difficulty in pooping? It seems feasible but I haven't really found any similar discussion online.

So, any experience with dogs in heat having trouble pooping and/or a dip in appetite??

Thanks in advance.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Questions about first heat cycle

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:29 am

The difference is normally when the dog is eating less the "Poop" is darker color and firmer. They do appear to be trying harder to eliminate. Nothing to worry about but just a common occurance. The shape difference is probably the results of her pushing harder to move the bowel.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Our GSP just went through her first heat. She too was finky when eating. All our guys actually get more of a softer stool when in heat. She is our 3rd female in our home that is still in tact so we have verying effects of heat cycle. Tundrathere is nothing different during a heat cycle except she tries to do more posturing with the other dogs to show her ALPHA status. Annie swells like a beach ball and is "ready for action" from any male the day she pops in. Phoenix is off her game during her cycle. I think she feels side effects more possibly. Also the first cycle is always the hardest on the dog I feel.

Good luck and hang in there. It starts to feel like a LONG 3 weeks though.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:08 pm

You should also be ready for a false pregnancy also...It does occur in some dogs as their hormone levels increase as if they are pregnant regardless if they are pregnant or not.

She nay begin to get large nipples, gather toys or objects, and then nest with them. I have one who even positions the toys to milk and licks them like she is cleaning them.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:08 am

UPDATE: Winnie went to the vet yesterday and my vet said that she had NEVER seen a dog so engorged/swollen from being in heat. Her cervix was literally pressing against her colon, which was packed but the stools weren't hard. So they gave her an enema to clear her out, and she's on Metecam now along with a high fiber canned food for a few days. Already she seems a lot more comfortable, she slept through the night and feels good this morning.

One of the techs at the vet said that the heat cycle is often or usually worse at the beginning. Was she just making me feel better? Or if things are 'peaking' now, is it reasonable to think that even though her cycle just started, things might go just a little bit easier for her every day?

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 pm

She may have meant "the beginning" as her first cycle. Typically, I see the swelling in mine peak around 3/4 of the way through the cycle and then it hangs.