Diamond Performance vs. Hi-Energy vs. Premium Adult

Nebraska

Diamond Performance vs. Hi-Energy vs. Premium Adult

Post by Nebraska » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:16 pm

I've been feeding my 1 1/2 year old GSP Diamond Performance (purple/black bag) and she looks great but I thought I'd get some input on all three to make sure I'm giving the best feed for my dog. I let her run daily so she's definitely active and I want to make sure she's getting proper nutrition. The protein/fat contents for these are: Performance 30/20, Hi-Energy 24/20, and the Premium Adult is 26/18.

I believe the Performance is more $$ than either of the other two but it's still cheap enough that if it's the best choice of the three I'll stick with it. That being said, which of these three should I be feeding my dog?? Thanks.... :)
Last edited by Nebraska on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: Diamond Performance vs. Hi-Energy vs. Adult

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:35 am

Nebraska wrote:I believe the Performance is more $$ than either of the other two but it's still cheap enough that if it's the best choice of the three I'll stick with it. That being said, which of these three should I be feeding my dog?? Thanks.... :)
You should be feeding, whatever your dog looks good on, whatever you can afford and whatever you think is the best for your dog.
That being said, if your dogs doing good on performance I would stick with that. It did my dogs fine when I fed it, I also liked the Diamond Naturals line dogs did really well on it, really liked the Extreme Athlete, but I used the EA mixed in with the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice at a 2:1 ratio ( C&R : EA ). It helped keep some weight on my male during last years hunting season.

JMO,
Chip

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:46 am

I have fed both the Performance and the Premium feeds and saw no real difference other than price. The dogs all have done well on both feeds.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:57 am

There is NO BEST food for any dog. I think if you want to know how your dog would do with another formula or brand you have to feed it long enough under the same conditions and see the results for yourself. Every food and ever dog reacts differently. I also believe that if is ain't broke don't fix it.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:06 am

MikeB wrote:There is NO BEST food for any dog. I think if you want to know how your dog would do with another formula or brand you have to feed it long enough under the same conditions and see the results for yourself. Every food and ever dog reacts differently. I also believe that if is ain't broke don't fix it.
I agree. I fed D. Premium for years. I think it's sl better than Hi-E. Performance would be good if you worked your dogs hard.
big steve

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:22 am

I tried high-Energy and got large soft stools. I then switched to Adult Premium , well pleased with this food.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:47 am

I have never tried the Hi Energy 24/20 though it is fairly popular. In reading various threads on various boards, it goes both ways. Some folks like it while others do not. Large mushy piles is a common complaint.

Over the years I've tried various Diamond products and have called the company at various times to ask questions. I always ask about the Hi Energy even though I've never fed this product. Every time I've gotten an answer from Diamond that steers me away from the 24/20. Usually something along this line, "It's a budget minded food for kennels that have concrete floors that can be cleaned with a hose pipe." (meaning - messy stools)

Their usual recommendation was to use the Premium in the green bag. The Peformance in the black bag was recommended for someone who was feeding all types of dogs at the same time such as adult hunting/competition dogs, growing pups, and pregnant/lactating females.

More recently, customer service will promote the Diamond Naturals line of products more so than the older lines.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:16 am

yeah that sure would be a turn-off, just imagine if they also recommend bleach as well, LOL

Nebraska

Re: Diamond Performance vs. Hi-Energy vs. Premium Adult

Post by Nebraska » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks guys...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 pm

I have never had a problem with the High Energy but you do need to feed a little less to keep everyone doing well and not getting too loose. I do think we are pushing the protein levels a little which is a major factor in loose stools. I like the Premium just as well and it is a little cheaper so I stick to that and have never had a dog over all the years have any type of an issue with it. All have done well once you have the amount adjusted to each dogs needs.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Drifter Saver

Post by Drifter Saver » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:37 am

Brittguy wrote:At my feed mill, adult premium is more expensive than hi-energy
Same here. I can get the Hi Energy for about $21.50/50#. If I order the 50# bag of Premium it is $24.00.

I am going through the same thought process with my food. I am just now finishing up one skid of Naturals Chicken and Rice. Some of the dogs did ok on it, but most were VERY soft. I am now going to give either Hi Energy or Premium a try, but I am going to try Premium first because of its lower fiber content (got to have some sort of decision maker).
If its not a bird dog, it's just a dog!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:51 pm

are you guys breeders?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Which guys are you asking?

Ezzy