Question (a bit difficult to describe)

MTO4Life

Question (a bit difficult to describe)

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:15 am

Yesterday, I noticed what looked like a wet mark on my Britt. Upon investigation, it looked (and felt) like a sticky goo on his back (approximately 2" long by 1" wide). I figured he rolled in something (you never know with him). I washed it off, and it appeared fine. However, when I checked a bit later, it was back, and is still there today. It makes his fur crusty, but underneath is a sticky goo, which appears to my untrained eye like a secretion as his skin appears wet with this. If you blot it with a paper towel, it comes back wet with this substance. He tries to lick it every now and then, but it doesn't appear to be bothering him too much. The day before I noticed this starting, I had given him a good brush with the slicker. Could this have caused an irritation?

I've never seen this before, and just thought I'd see if anyone else had seen this. I can't get to the vet as today is a holliday, have to wait until tomorrow to make an appointment. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks.

Bob Reynolds

Re: Question (a bit difficult to describe)

Post by Bob Reynolds » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:14 am

It maybe a hot spot starting - get it checked out as soon as you can. Watch for maggots this time of year.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:16 am

is he messing with it?

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 am

mcbosco wrote:is he messing with it?
I would have to say no. He takes the odd swipe at it to lick it, but really nothing. I'm not sure about when I'm not around though. I'll try to get him in tomorrow...

BTW- what are hotspots?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm

hotspots are very common in the summer, there are a few causes but 1) you need to clean it 2) you need to treat the area and 3) you need to keep the dog from licking or scratching it. They develop fast and get worse real quick.

i haven't had one in a while but as a kid i had a terrier that got them under the ear near the back of his jaw all the time. It starts wet then the hair just lifts off with a patch of skin and then it stays raw.

Sulfodene which you can buy at the grocery store is one of a handful of OTC supplies that is actually FDA approved. If you clean it with peroxide or something like witch hazel and use Sulfodene its should respond pretty fast. If it gets larger or you cant keep the dog from licking it take him to the vet. Sulfodene is very bitter dogs dont like the taste.

Its very common skin problem I would not worry about it too much but watch it. I saw one on a Newfoundland a couple years ago that was about 6 inches in diameter.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:38 pm

The simple thing to do is splash some full-strength H2O2 (peroxide) right on it three times a day. If it doesn't get better quick, try another remedy or call the Vet.
big steve

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 am

Sounds like a hot spot starting. Has Gunner had a bath recently? Soap residue will create a hot spot. You may have irritated the skin with the slicker brush ( Yes it can happen and is easy to do) by going over the same place a tad too hard, a tad too often . Another possibility that comes to mind is a bug bite.

You can try giving him a 25mg Benedryl 2x a day for a few days anf see if that area dries up. If it does clear up, he was probably bitten by an insect.... but DO clean it with a hydrogen peroxide betadine solution mixture ( a few drops of betadine to h202 til the solution is tea colored) at least 2x a day until it heals.

If you have no improvement in a few days OR if this becomes a chronic thing do visit the vet. He may have a food intolerance starting......