Drooling

gspkimber

Drooling

Post by gspkimber » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:44 pm

I have noticed that when I have been running with my girl (four months old) she has started to drool a lot. She gets a heavy thick coat of white drool in her mouth; it flys everywhere. I have never owned a dog that does this that much. Is this common for this breed (GSP)?
Emma Aleah Birthday 233.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twofeathers

Re: Drooling

Post by twofeathers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm

My dog is 11mo. and drools also. When hes not drooling is right after a heavy drink, but then it's the dripping water everywhere. Doesn't bother me but wife gets gaggy. Might have to trade in the wife. Just kidding, been married for almost 13 years. Can't complain.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Cute pup by the way.

Will

Post by Will » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:10 am

If you are running her and she develops the heavy, thick white froth at the mouth then she's hot. She needs short drinks or squirts from a bottle to help her stay cool. As I understand it, the heavy white drool will keep a dog from cooling themself through panting as it prevents the air to properly reach and cool the tongue.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

gspkimber

Post by gspkimber » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks guys!

bfd_dan

Post by bfd_dan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:37 am

Just an FYI, I have two GSP's, both will produce excessive white foamy drool when they are very excitied. So does one of my dogs moms, and a few other dogs I know. It really only happens when mine are running around and goofing off with other dogs. Both will develop streaks across their heads and will occasionally coat the other dogs. For my dogs it has NOTHING to do with temp as it has happened in cold weather as well as warm..... Just my 2 cents.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 am

I have Bernese Mountain Dogs, and while a large breed, they have tight flews and don't drool. However, my young female will drool a large amount if I take her to our local dog park. She becomes very excited as we get to the parking area and once she enters, she puts her nose to the ground and starts tracking every scent.

The dog park is the only place where I notice her trotting with her nose to the ground. The combination of her excitement with the tracking causes her to drool excessively. In fact, if she was the only Bernese you had ever met while at the dog park, you would come away with the idea that they drool in the same manner as Saint Bernards, Newfoundlands, and Mastiffs. In fact, it is very different as those breeds produce slimy, gooey, thick globs of drool.

When she goes into this tracking mode, she produces white, foamy saliva type drool in excess. Because Bernese are pretty and fluffy, everyone wants to pet her while she is still in tracking mode. Once someone pets her and distracts her from tracking, she immediately shakes her head and sends foamy saliva everywhere. I've gotten used to it but it is kind of strange as she doesn't do this at home or anywhere else.

I get questions about drool at the dog park and have to explain that this is the only place where this happens. My male, who has a larger head and looser flews, doesn't drool at the park or anywhere else.

I've found that many breeds, due to the high activity, heat, and excitement, will drool at the dog park including Labs, GSP's, and mutts. Event though medium in size, one of the biggest slobber producing breeds at the dog park are the Boxers.