shedding cycles for females?

nanney1

shedding cycles for females?

Post by nanney1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:55 am

I have always heard or read that intact females will blow their coats after each heat cycle. Though I'm not sure how soon thereafter --- a week, two weeks or a month??? However, I have found that the dogs that I have owned typically grown their coat up until around May. Then they go on a gradual shed starting in June and shed throughout the summer, outer coat first, and inner coat second.

My young female Bernese Mountain Dog had her first heat cycle in April at 11 months. She had yet to blow her puppy coat. She maintained coat until around June when the shed started and really kicked in by July.

She is starting to grow back her coat, but is due to come into heat around October. According to what I've heard and read, she should start shedding again in November, right at the start of winter. To me this makes no sense and is not in keeping with what my previous dogs have done.

I have owned one intact female previously and she would shed in the late summer and keep coat until late Spring. Once she was spayed she continued in that matter. My neutered male will gradually shed during the summer and really blow his coat in the early fall, usually September/October.

For those of you with coated breeds, what type of shedding cycle do you experience with intact females?
Last edited by nanney1 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: shedding cycles for females?

Post by slistoe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:09 am

Some females will "blow" coat with the hormonal changes of a cycle. Some will shed out after birth while nursing. All will follow seasonal shedding aside from this. IME.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:16 am

Maybe I didn't pay enough attention but I haven't seen much difference in shedding patterns other than just individuals that may shed at different rates throughout the year.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Same here. I have had quite a few Labs and Goldens. They didnt shed any more before or after their heat cycles. I think maybe a lot of females come into heat in the spring which is when most dogs shed any ways? idk?
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador