Pigeons--coccideosis?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Pigeons--coccideosis?

Post by wems2371 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:47 pm

I noticed a week or so ago, that my smaller pigeon coop smelled differently. I attributed it to going from gamebird feed to chicken layer pellets a couple weeks ago. Last couple days, the birds just look gross. It didn't help that we had inches of rain last week, and some got in the coop making things wet and messy. I have perches for them and a bathing tray, but they are filthy anyway. I am thinking maybe they have coccideosis (?). Is there some kind of product I could pick up at my local farm store that would be good to remedy this or other pigeon ailments?

I thought about taking my 5 homers out and putting them in my larger 4x8' loft, where the birds look great, but am guessing I shouldn't mix birds right now....

Rick Hall

Re: Pigeons--coccideosis?

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:41 am

Coccideosis causes wasting, so whether your birds are extremely thin should be a clue. Though worms do the same, only slower. Fish, as in tropical/pet store, "Zwoll" is a handy to find treatment we've used with success for a preserve bird outbreak, but we were winging it on dosage. Now I keep "Multi-Mix" (coccideosis, worms and pigeon pox) from Global Pigeon Supply on hand, and there's another such multi product others use that I believe addresses five ailments.

If OhioGSP sees this thread, he'll likely have some suggestions, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to call you local feed stores and see what they say. Pretty sure coccideosis can effect all poultry, so treatment should be fairly common.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Sulmet is one product that I use. You need to rotate between two of three because it will build up an immunity.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Not really sure what they have at this point, and only part of the birds look bad. I got a powdered broad spectrum poultry terramycin antibiotic today at the farm store, and a poultry electrolyte (plus nutrients and microbials). Not sure if those two will solve the problem, but I'll give it a shot. Fortunately it's just a small coop with 11 birds, whereas I have 30 healthy birds in another loft.

I will check out the products mentioned, as the stuff above was what I could find to purchase immediately. Thanks!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Amprolium is the drug of choice nowdays in chicken feed. It works very well and you can buy a bag of medicated Chick Starter or Chick Grower and feed that. Some of the other drugs may work also for treatment but the amprol will prevent it. There are several medications you can buy through a Pigeon Supply house that can be mixed in the water that many people use also.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:18 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Amprolium is the drug of choice nowdays in chicken feed. It works very well and you can buy a bag of medicated Chick Starter or Chick Grower and feed that. Some of the other drugs may work also for treatment but the amprol will prevent it. There are several medications you can buy through a Pigeon Supply house that can be mixed in the water that many people use also.

Ezzy
Is this something to feed long term then or just every now and again? I am using ch. layer feed currently, but I don't think it's medicated.