Conditioning (For Humans)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Conditioning (For Humans)

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:42 am

Duane M wrote:Greg if you have not joined up yet sign up on Crossfit for the WOD(workout of the day) That will whip you into shape both cardio and strength as well as help your flexibility. Or get ya tail into a Judo or BJJ class, that will do wonders for ya.
Hi Duane,

I've seen the Crossfit site. It rocks! I've also got a bud selling me his P90X stuff. I'm not up to either of them yet. All the time off and meds kicked my butt.

I have to do things that I can do at home and work around the kids' schedules. Otherwise, I'd not have quit teaching aikido.

Greg J.

- BTW: I thought I was getting in pretty good cardio shape till I had to *run* about a half mile up hill, in jeans and boot yesterday. I did it, but it made me aware that I'm not *nearly* where I need to be.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:02 am

but we both know how much harder a boots and utes run is than running in PT gear :x . congrats on the progress and good luck

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:45 am

Greg,

Crossfit may be overkill for your goals, and P90X is a 12-week program (what do you do afterwards???). Follow djswizz link to stronglifts for a realistic program that you can work with for the rest of your life.

P90X review: http://www.begin2dig.com/2009/08/reflec ... -of-3.html
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks for the link.

I'm interested in having a lot of options to cherry pick from and to cycle through. I'm a big believer in cycling through things to stave off boredom and to be well-rounded.

Greg J.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:31 am

Crossfit is great. But, do not join their gyms. WAY to $$$. Build your own equipment or buy some. Most of their workouts can be done with VERY minimal investment and time. Not to mention, at home, in the fields, on a hill, tree, etc. Functional, old-school workouts are gaining popularity again because they work. People realize these dinky "fitness programs on tv" are crap. The point is this, if you run for minimum 30 minutes a day, you will be in better shape than 90% of the world.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 pm

djswizz wrote:The point is this, if you run for minimum 30 minutes a day, you will be in better shape than 90% of the world.
"Well, maybe," thinks this life-long runner, as he munches a second helping of chips...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)