WELLNESS CORE *thoughts and opinions*

westexasrepublic

WELLNESS CORE *thoughts and opinions*

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:14 am

the Exceed dogfood recall at sams has lead me to shop around and this is what I found. The original (orange bag) of Wellness CORE dry dog food.Image. I am trying it as of yesterday, and was wondering your thoughts and maybe opinions on the "less fat" (green bag) and the "dry ocean" (blue bag) formulas. I shopped around for quite a while before I made my decision, but it seemed to be High Quality BALANCED protein feed and not just another "hot feed" 40% or higher kind of nutrition.

I hope im right, but it seems to be a varied topic with no middle ground. I hope I found my "middle ground" and most importantly help my dogs well being.< which I think gets lost in debate.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

1vizsla

Re: WELLNESS CORE *thoughts and opinions*

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 pm

We feed the Ocean blend to my Shiba Inu and it has worked well except being pricey. She needed to lose a few pounds because of a torn CCL and she has lost the weight and kept it off for a few months now. I would not feed it to a dog however that needs to retain or gain weight. It did not have enough fat for our Vizsla and he lost weight. For him we prefer the Native Level 3. I think I would go with a different blend/flavor or even the plain Wellness brand not the Core.

Carla

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:05 pm

I know guys that use it, its an eastern company with a very good reputation, Wellness, nothing bad to say. I really like the Core canned foods too as a mixer especially the fish formula.

I do know that company has an agressive coupon program, like $10 off a bag.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Since its a lower carb food your dog might dip weight slightly, you might also notice a little eye crud for a few days and some bad breath but as the dog gets used to the animal protein levels it goes away.

Was he soft today?

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:29 pm

We also feed the moist Wellness Core to my other dog that has jaw cancer. She is doing good on it, well as good as can be expected. It is the brown can that I think is a Turkey mix. I also mix it in with the others dry food as a treat once in a while. Overall, I love the food.

Carla

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Ive been reading a lot of good things about the product on their website, but so far it seems to be backed by real people like yall folks.... I guess ill post my own results after a few weeks. But to answer a previous post, No, my dog wasnt "soft" while in the field, however I do work her hard, way harder than I should, and I want her feed to keep up with how much energy she uses up during season, which starts September and ill work her all the way through quail season at the end of February.
Little Lady Maple

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:49 pm

i meant soft in the poop after the feed change

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:38 am

oh well in that case no, but if she does should I become concerned?
Little Lady Maple

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:58 am

no not really, the switch from what you were feeding was pretty dramatic and Core is a dense, rich food. i would have expected a little soft-serve ice cream but good to hear nothing, probably because that food has direct-fed microbials and they got to work fast

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 am

well I have been transitioning foods, so I followed the normal steps to mix a little at a time till I am able to feed high protein CORE exclusively. So im sure that helps from giving my dog diarrhea and upset stomach. So far she loves the taste and have slowly added a handful of feed into her normal bowl. The real test will be in the field. like I said its not so much to provide more energy, as it is to maintain her health during the working season.

So any other thoughts or opinions on this food?

BTW - I found out all you have to do for a $10 coupon is call the 800 number. So FYI to anyone else interested.
Little Lady Maple

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:17 am

westexasrepublic wrote:well I have been transitioning foods, so I followed the normal steps to mix a little at a time till I am able to feed high protein CORE exclusively. So im sure that helps from giving my dog diarrhea and upset stomach. So far she loves the taste and have slowly added a handful of feed into her normal bowl. The real test will be in the field. like I said its not so much to provide more energy, as it is to maintain her health during the working season.

So any other thoughts or opinions on this food?

BTW - I found out all you have to do for a $10 coupon is call the 800 number. So FYI to anyone else interested.
$10 off is worth a try, it looks like what I like to feed. What did you pay, and how large was the bag?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 pm

its $50 less the coupon in NJ for 26 pounds, so $1.53lb

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 am

I called the 800-225-0904 number, which is their corporate office and the lady said they do not send coupons out from there, and instead have a monthly newsletter if you sign up for the program at their website. Septembers' newsletter has not gone out yet.
Little Lady Maple

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 pm

how is your dog doing on it?

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:14 am

she is doing great, she was less tired after a day in the field. She is recovering faster, and her stools are a lot better.
Little Lady Maple