Loyall dog food?

dghunt

Loyall dog food?

Post by dghunt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 am

Recently I've heard quite a few people talking up loyall dog food at the stores and from other hunters. There was a free sample bin of loyall puppy food that I took advantage of to start off my 12 wk old pointers. Snagged myself several bags that lasted me two weeks worth. Should I stick with loyall? Anyone on here like it or prefer it? Pups seem to like it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Loyall dog food?

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:15 am

Doesn't make one iota of difference if any of us like it or not as long as the pups and you do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:02 am

I am now feeding Loyall Active Adult to my Llewellin pup and my yarddog. They are doing very well. I had a $3 off coupon which made it less costly, as they are a bit overpriced. Still, they are less expensive than other products that many use.
big steve

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:27 am

They are owned by Cargill, which is a huge corporation primarily in food related industries. They are the largest privately owned company in America. From what I have been told their US market is small, and their dog food is primarily exported. One thing I found interesting is they own ethanol plants, but do not process their used mash themselves.

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:32 am

Here is an interesting bit of info on part of their ingredients: http://www.loyallpetfood.com/documents/pbpm%20sheet.pdf

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:49 am

yeah that issue of "chicken" including water as the #1 ingredient was brought up before and it was the same reaction as the bloat threads....go figure

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:15 am

We have a cargill plant here, but I was told the Loyall dog food is made in another state. Generally, I would say their ingredients are as good as most good feeds.
big steve

dghunt

Post by dghunt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:33 pm

I hear ya I took advantage of a bunch of sample packs that came with 2.00 off coupons on each one. So that's what's got me hooked. The pups like it, I like it so far too. Have a feeling I might not like it quite as much when they grow and go through the bags faster though! haha. Every time I'd go into the farm store to get some more of the loyall pup food the checker would always say "now thats some good stuff". So I started to wonder whats makes it so great? But I'll take your advice, they like it so I'll stick with it. Appreciate it.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:41 pm

Ultimately, go with a feed that agrees with your dog. For me, Loyall gave my dogs looser stools when compared to Purina Pro Plan, Diamond Naturals, Nutro Maxx and Nutrisource. What I liked best out of that lineup is Nutrisource, because it works for my dogs and is at a nice price point.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:52 am

I tried it and did not like the stools (big thing for me)...
brenda

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:04 am

it has bentonite and beet pulp in it that might explain the large stools, bentonite expands substantially as does beet pulp

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:20 am

Ingredients that expand has no effect on the size of the stools. Plus there would be so little bentonite in it it would have no effect. Beet pulp is digested and that is the terrific advantage of it as it is the only common fiber that is actually digested and improves the health of the intestinal tract plus it is a cooling type feed that is very good in summer. All it is is a dehydrated sugar beet that will restore to almost fresh capacity when allowed to soak up water just like the other vegetables that many companies use and most other dried products.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:27 pm

I started my pup off with the puppy food and at around 6 months she decided she didn't like it. I switched to Pro Plan and so far she is eating it well.

JMc

Post by JMc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:34 pm

My dogs seemed to like it as far as going in...but coming out was a little more of a problem. Hard, dry stools were not a good thing from the looks on their faces. I have switched to PMI Exclusive for my older dogs and use Dog Fuel for the athletes of the yard.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:34 pm

My two are doing well on it. The red bag Professional. They eat half as much, are maintaining weight well, good energy, and the stools are small. Easy to clean up. A big plus is no gas in the house :D

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:13 am

I feed Loyall Dog food to my GSP. I have used the puppy, active adult, and now the High Performance 24/20 blend. She seems to like all of them. Her weight and coat are good since I have been feeding it. I tried Diamond Naturals chicken and rice she did not do well on it.

1wiseowner

Post by 1wiseowner » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:33 am

I tried it. Its okay my dog likes it.
Even my dog can get sometimes picky...
Though when he is tired and hungry devours everything.