Ring Worm UPDATE

Mr. Crappie

Ring Worm UPDATE

Post by Mr. Crappie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I took my eight month Pointer pup for a run in the country a week ago today and when we returned to the truck I noticed a raised spot on her upper lip. By the time I got home I found a couple of other bumps and thought she had possibly been stung by bees. After a few days of finding even more spots/sores I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with what they believe to be ring worm. I've ready quite a bit about it, and know there is no quick fix to this problem. I have already done the sulfur dip, they have her on antibiotic's for secondary infections, and I'm putting a fungal creme on the sores at least twice a day. They are starting to look as if they are drying up, but some of the sores are the size of a half dollar, puffy/red, with two being between her toes on her front feet. I have also bleached her kennel run, dog house, and pans.

I was wondering how many others have had the same problem and how long it took them to get under control.
Last edited by Mr. Crappie on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckshot

Re: Ring Worm

Post by buckshot » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 pm

I just got done treating one with it. Usually NUStock will get the job done but this time, ringworm popped up with a vengeance on this dog.

This time I used the bleach solution.

1. Bath the dog
2. Make a solution of 1/3 bleach & 2/3 water. Pour over dog and leave on.
3. You can also put it on just the spots w/ a cotton ball. When I do this I put straight, uncut bleach on the spots.

2-3 x's of this and it is gone.

I quarantined him from the other dogs as ringworm is highly contagious -- even dog to humans. I wore latex gloves when handling and treating him.

Less than a week on the bleach treatment and it was all cleared up.

ANother good med is Blue Kote. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... ue&cFlag=1
CoonDawgs.com - A Site Designed for Coon Hunters
American Houndsmen - Vintage Hound Hunting
Coon Dog Cemetery - Key Underwood Coon Dog Memorial Graveyard
HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Drew "Buckshot" Werndli
Phone [615] 216-5650

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks Buckshot. I had a retired vet tell me to try iodine. My dog had over ten sores. Mostly on her legs and paws. I'hoping to get it cleared up soon.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:31 pm

recently had one of my dogs get ringworm. the vet said ringworm is a funny character as far as being contagious, some dogs/humans pick it right up and others are virtually immune to it, guess you could compare it to a poison ivy reaction is the sense some get it some don't. anyway it showed up on the inside of his front leg and the same side on his chest. my female and i were in constant contact with him but i did try to avoid the spot best i could, neither of us ended up with ringworm. i can't remember the name of the meds given by the vet but i still have the bottle at home if you want to know. it was 3 pills given at one time and then the process was repeated again in several weeks. the vet said basically the pills are a triple dose of flea medication. anyway it worked.

buckshot

Post by buckshot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Nate would those pills had been Program? I know some vets use higher dosage of it for treatment bedcause of the Lufenuron in it.
CoonDawgs.com - A Site Designed for Coon Hunters
American Houndsmen - Vintage Hound Hunting
Coon Dog Cemetery - Key Underwood Coon Dog Memorial Graveyard
HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Drew "Buckshot" Werndli
Phone [615] 216-5650

bmacinok

Post by bmacinok » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:07 am

My son had ringworm once. We went to the doc, got some cream, and it did not work. We then talked to my mother-in-law and we used an old time-worn remedy, cut a piece off a green walnut husk and rub the juice on the ringworm. It worked like a charm and will be what I use if we ever get another.

bm

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:23 pm

buckshot wrote:Nate would those pills had been Program? I know some vets use higher dosage of it for treatment bedcause of the Lufenuron in it.
i will check the bottle tonight

Mr. Crappie

Re: Ring Worm UPDATE

Post by Mr. Crappie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:57 pm

My female has really turned the corner and the ring worm sites are going away. I thought I would report what worked in the event someone else has the problem. I conferred with three different vets as well as doing a bunch of research myself. Ring worm is a fungus that will kill itself in 2 to 4 months if left untreated. Treatment does speed the recovery. I treated my dog with a sulfur/lime dip (obtained at vet) once a week for three weeks. The stuff stinks to high heaven, and I used a sponge to easily coat the entire dog. I also rubbed in a common fungus creme used to treat atheletes foot two to three times a day and occasionally blotted the leasions with iodine to speed the drying process. I was advised by a vet that if you use the fungal creme, to make sure it is rubbed in well so that your dog does not ingest it when they lick themselves. As a good measure, antibiotics should be prescribed to help eliminate secondary infections. You will know when you are making headway when hair starts growing back in the fungus area.

natetnc

Re: Ring Worm UPDATE

Post by natetnc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:48 pm

couldn't find the name of the pills