Dog Foot Issues - Help!

KirkH

Dog Foot Issues - Help!

Post by KirkH » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:38 am

I have a lab who's an excellent upland bird hunter and retriever, but she continually has issues with raw spots on her pads, as well as cracked pads. Her pads, especially the center/main pads, always seem to be really dry; I live in Colorado, where the air's dry, so maybe that has something to do with it. I've tried several things to remedy the issue, without any luck, including exercising her more to hopefully toughen up her pads, exercising her only on dirt/grass, using the product "Tuf-Foot", etc. Overall, her feet don't seem to be very tough or resilient, and I'm wondering what I can do about it? Does anyone have any suggestions? At this point I'm desperate, since I'm planning to be hunting her in about a week, and she currently has a small raw spot on her main pad on a rear foot!

I've also tried using the little boots on her feet, but as I'm sure you know, those are difficult to deal with, hard to keep on, they rub, she hates them, and they just don't work that great.

Are there ointments, lotions, or treatments of any kind that might help? How about something like "Bag Balm"?

Thanks,
KirkH in Colorado

westexasrepublic

Re: Dog Foot Issues - Help!

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 am

Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:28 am

Have you tried using dog boots? Some dogs just have tender or sensitive feet. Most people I know including myself don't like them but I do own 2 pair just in case.

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:35 am

KirkH wrote: I've tried several things to remedy the issue....... using the product "Tuf-Foot", etc....

I've also tried using the little boots on her feet, but as I'm sure you know, those are difficult to deal with, hard to keep on, they rub, she hates them, and they just don't work that great.

Thanks,
KirkH in Colorado
tommyboy72 wrote:Have you tried using dog boots? Some dogs just have tender or sensitive feet. Most people I know including myself don't like them but I do own 2 pair just in case.
try and continue the thread in "health and nutrition" but pretty much everyone that uses Bag Balm or Mushers Secret is satisfied...
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:47 am

westexasrepublic wrote:try and continue the thread in "health and nutrition" but pretty much everyone that uses Bag Balm or Mushers Secret is satisfied...
Actually, it's best to just continue a thread where it is rather than make multiple posts. One of the mods will move it if necessary (like I just did). :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:48 am

KirkH,
I wouild try Bag Balm. Rub in in really well. Make your dog lie down and relax. Give her a nice gentle food masage. I am sure you could find boots to fit better and she could get used to. It does take time with some dogs. That would certainly help her feet in the future.

What are you feeding your dog? Brand and formula?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:44 am

Sorry bout that. I went back and read your original post and I guess you have tried boots. Sorry I guess I should read an entire post before asking questions and offering an opinion. :oops:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:21 pm

try Mushers Secret, cops in NYC use it on there dogs in both the summer and winter, its wax based so its provides some level of protection

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:28 am

We use dog boots a lot out in South Dakota, and they do get used to em. To keep em on, and from rubbing, first wrap some 'vet-wrap' around their pastern/ankle, not too tight, but so it sticks to itself. This keeps the boot from slipping so much, and from rubbing. Next put on the boot, then over the velcro that holds the boot on, wrap electrical tape(3M brand works best). Don't go too tight, or you'll cut off their circulation. This works really well. Usually, you need to boot 2 feet at least, if you are trying to protect one that is injured, or else they will just hold the single foot up. We always boot all four in SD, to keep those evil burrs out. They walk funny for a minute, but as soon as they start hunting, they forget.

Also, there is a product called "Pad Heal" by Cut Heal products, that works well on my dogs pads.

Good luck, I have one Wirehair that is always cutting one of her pads, she's always into something!

Nan
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.