Dog food ingrediants glossary

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Dog food ingrediants glossary

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:29 am

I saw this on the diamond website and thought it was interesting. I have often wondered exactly what some items on the label were.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/ingredients/
Last edited by ACooper on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog food ingrediants glossary

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Thats about as good of a glossary as I have seen published without going to the actual test results and scientific manuals.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 pm

Dont forget who is publishing the glossary. They arent going to say bad things about the food. Look up chicken by-products and you will get tons of different answers from different dog food companies.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:13 pm

kerplunk105 wrote:Dont forget who is publishing the glossary. They arent going to say bad things about the food. Look up chicken by-products and you will get tons of different answers from different dog food companies.
The glossary doesn't say anything good or bad about the different ingredients but just says what it is. It doesn't even say if its used in their feeds. It is just a Glossary, kind of like a dictionary it states what the ingredients are and why they are used.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
kerplunk105 wrote:Dont forget who is publishing the glossary. They arent going to say bad things about the food. Look up chicken by-products and you will get tons of different answers from different dog food companies.
The glossary doesn't say anything good or bad about the different ingredients but just says what it is. It doesn't even say if its used in their feeds. It is just a Glossary, kind of like a dictionary it states what the ingredients are and why they are used.

Ezzy
Its what they don't say that tells the real story. Here is quote:
Beet Pulp
Dried remains of sugar beets after sugar is removed. Gray in color. Moderately fermentable fiber source to provide cells in colon with energy and to promote the "good" bacteria in the intestines. Considered to be one of the best fiber sources for optimal stool quality.

Where they say "Considered to be one of the best fiber sources for optimal stool quality." could easily be interpreted as saying something good. Plenty of people feel Beet Pulp is a cheap filler. Notice they didn't mention that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Glossary= description of the product and doesn't comment on what people say or think. Beet pulp is the sugar beet that is dried after the sugar is taken out. Really don't care what people think but it is just that and test results show exactly why it is used and what it does. I don't know if you realize it or not but the testing that is done requires some of the animals to be posted so they can see what is happening within the gut and what beet pulp does is well established. That in no way says you have to change your opinion but rather is just stating the documented facts so you will know what it does and why it is used.

Agree or disagree, but that is the fact.

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm

I thought it was informative for items like:

Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles
A digestive enzyme derived from yeast extracts, this ingredient helps promote healthy digestion.

Take it for what it is.

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Glossary= description of the product and doesn't comment on what people say or think. Beet pulp is the sugar beet that is dried after the sugar is taken out. Really don't care what people think but it is just that and test results show exactly why it is used and what it does. I don't know if you realize it or not but the testing that is done requires some of the animals to be posted so they can see what is happening within the gut and what beet pulp does is well established. That in no way says you have to change your opinion but rather is just stating the documented facts so you will know what it does and why it is used.

Ezzy
When you say its "one of the best", that is very much subjective.

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Here is another one:

Cranberry Powder
All natural source of vitamin C and potassium. May have some ability to acidify the urine, but not consistently. Some sources list it as having an ability to block bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall, thus preventing bladder infections

"Some sources?" "May have some ability?" Sounds like marketing BS more than Facts.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 pm

brdhntr wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Glossary= description of the product and doesn't comment on what people say or think. Beet pulp is the sugar beet that is dried after the sugar is taken out. Really don't care what people think but it is just that and test results show exactly why it is used and what it does. I don't know if you realize it or not but the testing that is done requires some of the animals to be posted so they can see what is happening within the gut and what beet pulp does is well established. That in no way says you have to change your opinion but rather is just stating the documented facts so you will know what it does and why it is used.

Ezzy
Brdhntr,

It's not an argueable matter so there is no use trying to start another arguement. A Glossary is a list of ingredients with the description of what they are and what they do. This happens to be about as complete as any that have been put out without having to go dig all of it out of the official reports of the legal description of what each consist of and what the research has proven about their nutritive value. And I sure don't want to argue if this a list or not.

This has nothing to do with what you or I think or what anyones opinion is of each ingredient including the feed manufacturer. It is nothing more or nothing less than a list. Trying to argue with it is like argueing the dictionary isn't right. And that sure wouldn't make us sound too intelligent I am afraid.

Ezzy

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
brdhntr wrote:

Ezzy
Brdhntr,

It's not an argueable matter so there is no use trying to start another arguement. A Glossary is a list of ingredients with the description of what they are and what they do. This happens to be about as complete as any that have been put out without having to go dig all of it out of the official reports of the legal description of what each consist of and what the research has proven about their nutritive value. And I sure don't want to argue if this a list or not.

This has nothing to do with what you or I think or what anyones opinion is of each ingredient including the feed manufacturer. It is nothing more or nothing less than a list. Trying to argue with it is like argueing the dictionary isn't right. And that sure wouldn't make us sound too intelligent I am afraid.

Ezzy
If opinion has nothing to do with it, why are they offering an opinion. If you can't see that you are blind. When it says "one of the best", that is an opinion, when it says "may", that is an opinion. So you are right no argument here, it is clearly an opinion. I'm not saying they are telling lies here, but if you can't see the marketing in this "glossary" you are naive. They refer to one of their fillers as a calorie reducer. How can you not see that as marketing. Kerplunk105 was spot on.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:25 am

Wow, I think the sky is blue grey in color. And I thought only my kids could argue over a dog turd. :roll:

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:10 am

Thanks for posting that Cooper. I thought it was informative.
Some sources list it as having an ability to block bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall, thus preventing bladder infections
"Some sources?" "May have some ability?" Sounds like marketing BS more than Facts.
If they meant it to be fact, they would have said Cranberry DOES such and such. Some of you folks are ALWAYS looking for an argument in regards to dog food. I get it :roll: --raw is best, Abady is best, your brand of dog food is best...who did I miss? Show me who is making dog food for free, without profit, just because they want your dog to have the best. Last time I checked, EVERY time I open my wallet, it's for a product someone is marketing somewhere and somehow to make a profit. Get real.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:44 am

wems2371 wrote:Thanks for posting that Cooper. I thought it was informative.
Some sources list it as having an ability to block bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall, thus preventing bladder infections
If they meant it to be fact,
Actually, if there is a source that lists that ability then it is a fact.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:40 am

Some of you folks are ALWAYS looking for an argument in regards to dog food. I get it --raw is best, Abady is best, your brand of dog food is best...who did I miss? Show me who is making dog food for free, without profit, just because they want your dog to have the best. Last time I checked, EVERY time I open my wallet, it's for a product someone is marketing somewhere and somehow to make a profit. Get real.
AMEN!!! I'm to the point where I won't even look at the health and nutrition thread because there are too many "experts" shoving their opinions. I would be more apt to take some of it to heart if I knew how they were qualified, but I get the sense both they are regurgitating information from someone else. I guess none of us are smart enough to make up our own minds :roll:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:42 pm

Why is it, that when there is something published that you don't agree with, it is an agenda, but when somebody you agree with [ or are indoctrinated by] publishes something, it is the Gospel?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

buckwildbirddogs

Post by buckwildbirddogs » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:11 pm

I agree. I like this glossary it is informative. It allows me to make up my own mind about the ingrediants listed. And until there is a free dog food that my dogs do well on there is no BEST dog food...You all will laugh but my lab/heeler mix (yes she does hunt and she is just a wonderful family pet) over eats, bloats, diarrhea, vomiting, every GI symptom you can name on every food out there...Until we tried Pamida Brand Chunk Dog Kibble. It is $9.99 for a 40lb bag. We tried it as a last resort before going to a prescription food. Now I know it is not near the quality as other brands out there. But IT WORKS FOR HER. That is all that matters.
Bobby & Danielle Meade
Buck Wild Bird Dogs

Dixieland's Buck Wild - GSP Male
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2260
Packman's TipToe N Maggie - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2261
BW's Fancy Rawhide Rebel - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2262
Abby's Ramblin Rose - Brittany Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2267

alex0742

Post by alex0742 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:43 pm

I found this site interesting and seems to be credible.

http://www.consumersearch.com/dog-food/review

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:09 am

alex0742 wrote:I found this site interesting and seems to be credible.

http://www.consumersearch.com/dog-food/review
We have been down this road before. I read much of what was in their ad, and make no mistake, it is an ad to sell expensive dog food. Some of their criteria and standards that determine great food is a bit suspect.

Overall, what they recommend is very good. However, most working dogs do very well and live a long life on the good mid-priced feeds that most of us feed.
big steve

1wiseowner

Post by 1wiseowner » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:49 am

This is good information to know.
I think it is worth taking the time to
read ingredients and give what is best to your dog.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:51 am

so you can look at the ingredients list and know what is best for your dog
based on what your vet said