Today's Headline

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Today's Headline

Post by slistoe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:14 pm

Got the local paper today and the headline on page two reads: "Coyotes are digging up and eating carrots". Seems a few folks in and around town are having some problems. I shot one by the pear tree two nights ago - I think he was looking for a beefsteak.

brdhntr

Re: Today's Headline

Post by brdhntr » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Any possibility they are hunting over bait?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 pm

brdhntr wrote:Any possibility they are hunting over bait?
Yes, that is a strong possibility. People are planting gardens and orchards, so they can bait and shoot coyotes!! :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:28 pm

I wouldn't mind that. Here they are eating cats and dogs under 35 pounds. But we have to learn to live together don't forget. :roll:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:01 pm

They get their fair share of cats and small dogs around here too. Funny thing is, I have a pen full of pheasants, a roost full of pigeons and a yard full of cats - but I still shoot them under the pear tree.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 am

Sharon wrote:I wouldn't mind that. Here they are eating cats and dogs under 35 pounds. But we have to learn to live together don't forget. :roll:
How large are the coyotes in your area? I was thinking that coyotes were usually 30-40lbs in my area of North Carolina. Maybe 45-50 for a really big one.

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:34 am

Carrots and pears? How could that be? I've read enough dog food threads to know that canines are carnivores, will only eat meat and there is no room for anything other than raw meat in the food dish. :D

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:41 am

not only that windswept, these pears are not fit for human consumption. The season here isn't long enough and they don't ripen so until they freeze they are hard, green and bitter. But the pears are good bait and it keeps them away from my carrots and peas.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:05 am

I was hoping to see some of the people get educated about dogfood and not the other way around. :roll: I'm ready for the whole subject to be dropped for a while and from the comments most everyone else is too. Thanks guys! We all get your point.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:34 am

I've never understood the appeal of the "when free to choose, dogs eat this way", "wild canids eat this way" and "dogs self-regulate to eat what they need" lines of thought.

My dogs eat grass and puke it up. When younger, they ate deer turds and got sick. I see grossly fat dogs everywhere. For that matter, I'm overweight myself and I'm pretty sure that I have a better handle on how I should eat than a dog.

Wild canids don't eat what they eat because it's what's best for them. They eat what the can. They have to be opportunistic to survive to the next day.

For that matter, I don't necessarily buy the what is best for wild canids is what is best for domestic dogs line of thought. Sure, they evolved from a common ancestor, but it's been thousands and thousands of years. I think that there is a good chance that their nutritional needs evolved along the way too.

On a more humorous note: I used to have a lab that ate pears, blue berries and would get irate with you till you gave her the rind of your watermelon slice. That watermelon rind must be really tart, she would have her face all puckered up while she munched it down....

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 am

My dogs fight over watermelon rinds too. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:43 am

Sharon wrote:My dogs fight over watermelon rinds too. :)
It's so *wrong*. :)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Rick shot one under the Persimmon tree.
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 pm

I've had the dogs kick them out from under the grape vines when the grapes are ripe and they love the mulberries too.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm

My cousin has a very prolific pear tree, every year when the pears are ripe the dogs are FREAKING obese. He cant pick them all up fast enough to keep his two dops from eating them. He ended up fencing off the pear tree to keep the dogs from over dosing on pears, it was pretty funny.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:26 pm

slistoe wrote:Got the local paper today and the headline on page two reads: "Coyotes are digging up and eating carrots". Seems a few folks in and around town are having some problems. I shot one by the pear tree two nights ago - I think he was looking for a beefsteak.
The coyotes around here go snorkeling for organic seaweed.
A good bird dog is always the right color

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I've had the dogs kick them out from under the grape vines when the grapes are ripe and they love the mulberries too.

Ezzy
This is proof a dog will eat what they shouldn't. I hope everyone here knows a dog should never eat grapes or raisins.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:14 pm

brdhntr wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I've had the dogs kick them out from under the grape vines when the grapes are ripe and they love the mulberries too.

Ezzy
This is proof a dog will eat what they shouldn't. I hope everyone here knows a dog should never eat grapes or raisins.

I've read that too but I sure have trouble keeping them from pulling them off our vines. Never had seen that till just a couple of years ago but I think the dogs haven't read it or at least don't believe it.

Guess until someone proves otherwise it would be wise to try and keep them out of the vinyard.

Ezzy

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:34 am

Ours love beating us to the fruit we have growing, cherries, mulberries, peaches, black raspberries. And forget about trying to keep them out of the tomatoes! They have knocked down the fence and when we put up a "stiffer" fence they climbed it :evil:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:09 pm

I saw my first one in several years where I live just a few days ago. Looked like a young one with a bad case of mange. That is what killed most of them off several years ago. We used to have them everywhere and coyote hunters and coyote dogs everywhere around here but after that mange epidemic, many of the yote hunters got rid of their dogs and rigs and gave it up. The mange has been fantastic for the quail and pheasant here. :)

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Ours eat all sorts of strange stuff. But the strangest is the burnt corn husks from when we cook corn ears on the BBQ grill. Strange, they only eat the burnt parts. They steal it off the picnic table, dig it out of the trash and pick up the floaters out of the yard. They love it.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:44 am

brdhntr wrote:

Ezzy
Whats wrong with them eating grapes? Not arguing just didn't know. Our Australian Shepperd LOVES seedless grapes and I'll share halves with her ocasionally. Might not after your response though had no Idea.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 am

Sharing a few grapes shouldn't be a big deal, but they are toxic to dogs. A good number might give your dog upset stomach or make them sick. Raisins are much more dangerous and concentrated.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:38 am

slistoe wrote:Got the local paper today and the headline on page two reads: "Coyotes are digging up and eating carrots". Seems a few folks in and around town are having some problems. I shot one by the pear tree two nights ago - I think he was looking for a beefsteak.

Well I know one coyote who wasn't eating veggies yesterday. Jessica Simpson had her dog grabbed off the porch by a coyote - never to be seen again. :(

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:11 pm

nanney1 wrote:Sharing a few grapes shouldn't be a big deal, but they are toxic to dogs. A good number might give your dog upset stomach or make them sick. Raisins are much more dangerous and concentrated.
based on what proven study are raisins much more dangerous

I remember a family on a farm that used to toss them out for coyotes- next year they stopped- coyotes were starting to come around regularly

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:28 pm

http://www2.aspca.org/site/DocServer/gr ... ?docID=189
Try this paper. I would trust this source, even if there isn't a research paper on it.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:58 pm

thanks- that sure does sound like fact- criminy- never would have guessed-

my daughter used to give chocolate covered raisins to my Britt and English Setter- both lived a good full life and died of old age- 15 and 14

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:11 am

we've been spotlighting coyotes for a while in west texas... they are a bad problem there, almost as bad as the pigs. the most productive place to shoot them is behind the dairy in the pit where they dump the dead cattle. they have gotten so bad that last year they started dropping rabies bombs... dog treats with the rabies vaccine in them. 36 confirmed cases. on even had to be caught and removed from INSIDE of the nursing home, and another one was shot trying to get into the animal clinic. A red lens on the spotlight and a wounded jack rabbit or cottontail call always seems to bring them running as well.