Cut Pad

Mr. Crappie

Cut Pad

Post by Mr. Crappie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:06 pm

My young pointer pup cut a pad on her front foot very bad. I took her to the vet who said there was not much that could be done other than putting peroxide on it and he also put her on antibiotics. I got some emt gel as I have heard it was some good stuff, but she licks it off almost immediately. I also thought of putting a bandage on it, but with her being a young dog I figured that would last long enough for me to get back inside of my house. Does anyone have any product or suggestions for a fast heal.
I may be wishing, but was hoping to run her in a local fun trial this coming weekend, but she may just have to sit this one out.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Cut Pad

Post by mcbosco » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:30 pm

my jack's always hurt their paws from maniacal digging...the fastest way to heal a pad is prevent infection and protect it..protecting could involve putting a soft boot on it, the kind made of cordura nylon.

has the bleeding stopped? is it a clean cut or jagged? which pad?

as for products, for a cut I cant think of anything..after it heals there are things to toughen the pad but they are wear related problems

sal

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:29 am

Fwiw, a long-gone dog pro turned me on to a feed store product called "Cut Heal" for treating pad cuts, and I've used it with apparent success for decades. There's now a newer version called "Pad Heal" that is supposed to toughen some, too, but I've not tried it. A bottle of Cut Heal lasts a very long time.

When I asked a country vet about it, his reply was along the lines of: "If it works, it works. But the dog licking it off (which they will) probably does as much good as anything. A dog will keep a pad cut clean by licking, while it heals from the inside out."

In any event, I believe Cut Heal helps speed the healing process, but have nothing more than anecdotal evidence of it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:23 pm

My male cuts his front pads all the time. I rinse the cut out with saline, once the bleeding stops, I put Krazy glue in a few spots to close the cut. They heal fairly fast.