Sliped pads

Casper

Sliped pads

Post by Casper » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:57 am

When a dog slips pads what should be done? Do I need to just keep the area clean and keep him off his feet?

It isnt real bad I picked him up as soon as I noticed he was "bleep" footing around. They didnt bleed much just scraped off the coarse part of the pad. He is not licking them and since he spent the rest of the day in his crate they actually look pretty good better then I originaly thought.

He thought it would be great fun to barrel off a mountain chasing a covey of 80-100 chukars :roll:

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:05 am

best thing is to keep him off his feet and keep them clean. we sometimes use EMT gel on them, but many dogs will lick it off. it is not waterproof. it does not appear to stain things, though. have heard some people use super glue, but have not tried it myself.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:27 am

suoer glue works but I dont use it much, the Doc used it to close up a cut in my lip last year. Went thru to the teeth.

I was at the new Bass Pro shop and saw dog boots made out of leather. Maybe these would help?

Another thing to try, a liquid I find at bowling shops, nu skin? or something like it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:33 am

i find the boots don't help much if a dog has just slipped a pad. the pad just gets aggravated inside the boot. pads heal quickly though. boots do help once the pad has sealed up and while it still needs protection because it is building up new pad material. we use Ruff Wear boots, there are some other good ones. a serviceable boot can be made just by cutting a bicycle inner tube of sufficient diameter, slipping it over the foot, and taping it on with duct tape. the bottom end is just left open. it needs to be long enough to cover the pad obviously, and also you need a large diameter tube for most dogs. the skinny little things for racing bikes would not work.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:12 am

Keep him off his feet and disclose the location of this covery as quickly as possible for best results!!! :D