Setter flea question

Beecher

Setter flea question

Post by Beecher » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:41 pm

I have a 3 year old English Setter that has never had fleas, he is kenneld outside, never treated for fleas, I have gave him maybe 3 yard baths with flea shampoo, is it the color of his coat that keeps them off or am I lucky? I was prepared to battle them when I got a Setter due to the long hair!

Maverick57

Re: Setter flea question

Post by Maverick57 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Really lucky- I say
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Very lucky. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:22 pm

From what I understand Fleas are more present in high humidity areas. When it freeze it kills the fleas. Not knowing where you live... if you don't have any fleas your luckier than most.

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:46 pm

MikeB wrote:From what I understand Fleas are more present in high humidity areas. When it freeze it kills the fleas. Not knowing where you live... if you don't have any fleas your luckier than most.
Bingo ! Every place I've lived that had a hard frost didn't have fleas. But then its bone dry here in the summer too.

Quit the flea shampoo if you don't need it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:02 pm

There's no harder frost then here in Ontario. Flea /heartworm/tick preventions are no longer needed once the ground is hard. Interestingly enough the ground is not hard here yet. Very strange. However, come April , they will be out in full force.
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:11 am

So perhaps its the lack of humidity they can't tolerate. I don't miss them. When I lived in Monterey if you had a dog you had fleas. That led to the use and misuse of every flea product imaginable and the sometimes a missed diagnosis of flea allergies. Products have improved I suppose but all those poisons could not have been good for our dogs.