Late Heat? Silent Heat?

SierraMtnBrits

Late Heat? Silent Heat?

Post by SierraMtnBrits » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:54 am

My 2.5 year old Brittany bitch seems to be late in coming into season. Her last season started March 9, 09. Her cycles have been long (7-8 months or so) in the past, but she's almost gone 9 months. I watch her very closely every day, she is a house dog. There's no way I could have missed it unless it was silent. We are planning on breeding her during her cycle. Anything I should be worried about yet?
~ Yvonne

Happiness is a house full of Brittanys!
www.sierramtnbrittanys.weebly.com
Home to Bang, Trip and Sheldon
Rancho Haven, Nevada

NNV Rebel's Blazn Lil' MissFire JH (Bang)

NNV Bang's Triple Threat Tri (Trip)
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Bryce

Re: Late Heat? Silent Heat?

Post by Bryce » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 am

There's nothing to worry about yet. She probably hasn't gone in heat yet. Most of my bitches tend to go in season in teh spring and fall. Since it is getting late in teh fall, she may not go in until the spring. Sometimes bitches will suppress a cycle if there is another dominant bitch she is being housed with. I had a bitch that normally went in heat every 6 months and the time I was waiting to breed her it was 11 months between her cycles cycles. It doesn't work like clockwork in dogs and varies somewhat. Usually their nipples will begin to swell a few weeks before they go in heat and then they will begin the heat cycle. But some bitches don't begin to swell until they are actually in heat. Just wait it out. Don't go try to induce a heat cycle with hormones, that rarely produces pups and don't worry about it too much. When she comes in get her bred. Have the owner of the stud you picked on notice that she should be in at any time and have a back-up choice in case that stud is unavailable.

Calm down and wait it out. She'll come in when she's ready.

Bryce