GSP, feeling poorly

birddogger
GDF Junkie

GSP, feeling poorly

Post by birddogger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:09 pm

I was guiding a hunt this past Sunday. Everything was going great, good dog work and a group of safety first hunters. After a couple of hours, my 1 1/2 year old Zeke began slowing down, as if he was running out of gas. This is out of character for him. He then slowed down to a walk and began whimpering. I had seen enough, I informed the group that I was putting him up for the day.

We continued the hunt with my 6 1/2 year old, Lucky, who was still going strong. When I got Zeke home, he seemed OK. He jumped out of the dog box and headed to his kennel, as usual. He ate his supper without hesitation.

I checked on him the next morning and had to coax him out of his dog house. He looked depressed and had no energy. He has always been a little live wire and bounces all over the place when he sees me coming. I took him to an area that I use for exercise and play. All he would do is walk around with his tail tucked. I threw a bumper out to reinforce his ff training. He sort of trotted toward it and sniffed it. I gave the fetch command, he picked it up and just walked it back to me. I immediately took him home. His appetite was still normal and there was no vomiting or diarrhea.

I checked on him yesturday morning and there was no improvement. I called the Vet's office and they told me to bring him in.
The Vet examined him and could find nothing wrong. He did say his temp was 103, which was a little above normal. He did a heart worm test, which was negative. He found some Staph on his skin and gave me 3 wks, of antibiotics. He wanted to do a complete blood work up, but I was already up to $240.00 and declined the blood work at this time.

Well, after saying all that, he is back to normal today, as if nothing had ever changed. :D I still don't have a clue. I would have not given it a thought if it had only been a one day thing, but 4 days?? Any ideas?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

dog dr

Re: GSP, feeling poorly

Post by dog dr » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:02 pm

i would have wanted to do some blood work as well, specifically look at his red blood cell count. He may have been anemic for some reason and just couldnt move enough oxygen to supply his needs. i have also seen dogs do that when they are painful. Is it possible he hurt his back? 103 in my opinion is a low grade fever, so its possible he did have something viral or bacterial going on and now he is over it. have you run him since then??

on another note, i think you need to drive up to carrollton and see me next time you need a vet. Office call, heartworm test, and 3 weeks of antibiotics for staph would only run you about $100. Or, you could just take me huntin'... :wink: :wink:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:15 pm

dog dr wrote:i would have wanted to do some blood work as well, specifically look at his red blood cell count. He may have been anemic for some reason and just couldnt move enough oxygen to supply his needs. i have also seen dogs do that when they are painful. Is it possible he hurt his back? 103 in my opinion is a low grade fever, so its possible he did have something viral or bacterial going on and now he is over it. have you run him since then??

on another note, i think you need to drive up to carrollton and see me next time you need a vet. Office call, heartworm test, and 3 weeks of antibiotics for staph would only run you about $100. Or, you could just take me huntin'... :wink: :wink:
Thanks for the reply. It is possible that he hurt his back, since he was busting brush, jumping logs, etc. I have not run him since, but he seems back to normal. He did seem to have sort of a stiff walk when it first began. I will continue with the course of antibiotics.

I didn't realize you were in Carrollton. The next time I see a Vet, I will give you a call.

Thanks,
Charlie

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:07 pm

might want to give him some pro-biotics when his course of anti's is up...get his stomach jumpstarted.

I had one slow down on my trip out west....had diarrhea too. Put him on some tylan powder and pro-biotics
and he picked right back up after a couple days....I figure some kinda stomach bacteria or something.

If i am hunting him hard day after day I give him some glycocharge/pro-biotic solution as soon as he quits panting,
really has him fresh the next day....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:02 pm

birddog1968 wrote:might want to give him some pro-biotics when his course of anti's is up...get his stomach jumpstarted.

I had one slow down on my trip out west....had diarrhea too. Put him on some tylan powder and pro-biotics
and he picked right back up after a couple days....I figure some kinda stomach bacteria or something.

If i am hunting him hard day after day I give him some glycocharge/pro-biotic solution as soon as he quits panting,
really has him fresh the next day....
Good point, something to keep in mind.

Charlie

zachz

Post by zachz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:31 am

The exact samething happended to my 1 1/2 yr old GSP 3 weeks ago. Seemed depressed, lethargic, tail tucked, not wanting to do anything. Took him to the vet he had a temp in the high 103's. Vet gave him an antibiotic shot, another shot to settle his stomach if it was upset, and antibiotics for a week. 2 to 3 days later he was his old self and has been fine ever since.

zachz

Post by zachz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:33 am

Oh forgot to mention my vet bill ran me $140.00

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:02 pm

zachz wrote:The exact samething happended to my 1 1/2 yr old GSP 3 weeks ago. Seemed depressed, lethargic, tail tucked, not wanting to do anything. Took him to the vet he had a temp in the high 103's. Vet gave him an antibiotic shot, another shot to settle his stomach if it was upset, and antibiotics for a week. 2 to 3 days later he was his old self and has been fine ever since.
Yeah, you just described my dog's symptoms exactly, except for the temp. Zeke's temp was right at 103.

Also, I know medical care is expensive and I expect to pay for the Vet's expertise and meds, but I thought 240.00 was a little extreme. I was expecting, maybe $150.00. But that is done and I am just happy that he is bouncing all over the place again.

It's funny, when a young dog is so full of energy, it can be frustrating, but after seeing him sick, I am tickled pink to see him hyper. :D

zachz

Post by zachz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:37 pm

what was weird is I've have dogs for many years and can't remember when one of the dogs just came up sick like that for 3 days, very strange to me and also that there really wasn't a clear reason for it? It remains a mystery I guess.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Me too.

Charlie

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:37 am

There is a dog flu going around this year. Not everybody vomits and has diarrhea every time they get sick. Dogs can get sick just like humans. I would have done the blood work just to be sure, but if Zeke's happy and fine now I'll bet he was just feeling under the weather.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:43 pm

I probably should have had the blood work done, but I chose to observe him another day or two first. If he had not snapped out of it, or if it happens again, I will definately have some testing done. I am going to take him to a different Vet though. Nothing against the one I had, but the price of services are more affordable in some areas than others.

Charlie