Another conversation about dog food.

nanney1

Another conversation about dog food.

Post by nanney1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 am

This has nothing to do with hunting dogs... just another conversation with a professional conformation handler who owns, breeds, and shows the same breed that I own, Bernese Mountain Dogs.

In addition to Bernese, she boards and handles other breeds that she takes on the road to the shows. She currently owns and handles the number 1 Bernese Mountain Dog in the country, a large male with a great coat.

Since she has several dogs in her care and is always bringing in new dogs for either short or extended stays while she shows them, I was curious about what she feeds. I expected a longwinded answer, but instead received a simple one - Exceed from Sam's Club.

Her reason was that it was convenient, cost effective, and worked well for her dogs. She also mentioned that it was almost identical to Eukanuba Performance.

I've never fed Exceed so I can't comment on it, and I have no idea how well it works for true performance dogs. I can say that her dogs look great so it does seem to work for her.

SubMariner

Re: Another conversation about dog food.

Post by SubMariner » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:57 am

We used to feed Exceed to our GSP. However, he was loosing weight on 4 cups/day and having a good deal of "waste product".

Since May he's been on Innova Evo Turkey & Chicken with excellent results. While still in excellent "field condition" he no longer looks like a starving stray dog from Africa. Also, his coat is even more shiny than before.

Yes it costs more per bag, but since he's eating LESS of it due to it being such high protein food, it actually costs LESS to feed him this than the Exceed.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:40 am

[quote="nanney1"]
Her reason was that it was convenient, cost effective, and worked well for her dogs. quote]

DING DING DING! We have a winner! Those three reasons she gave are really all that need to be considered. I could puke every time I see a new "what dog food should I feed?" thread. If everyone would live by the above advice we would all take up less space on Grant's servers! :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 am

topher40 wrote:
nanney1 wrote: Her reason was that it was convenient, cost effective, and worked well for her dogs. quote]

DING DING DING! We have a winner! Those three reasons she gave are really all that need to be considered. I could puke every time I see a new "what dog food should I feed?" thread. If everyone would live by the above advice we would all take up less space on Grant's servers! :roll:
Amen! This says it all. I have no idea why dog owners think they are animal nutritionist just because they have a dog. Can you imagine what the people feeding 1000 beef cattle or 10000 pigs or 100 milk cows would do if they decided each and every animal needs a different feed? Through years and years of research and feeding trials it is well known what works to provide the nutrients that are required for top performance in our animals and they use those products in their feed while picking and choosing which are available at a reasonable cost that in turn keeps our costs as low as possible.

We are so fortunate in this country to have so many to choose from that fill our needs reasonably and conveniently.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.