Dog with Diarrhea

BIGMac

Dog with Diarrhea

Post by BIGMac » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:27 pm

I did not see her eat anything, not to say she did not, after all she is a Lab, but this weekend my pup, 14 months old, started having diarrhea and lots of gas. Been about 3 days now.
Eyes look good, has a wet nose, she still wants to play, and does not seem to be in any discomfort.
Other things I should be watching for?
How long before you take them into the vet?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog with Diarrhea

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:46 pm

3 days of diarrhea , 14 months old, perfectly fine otherwise

Have been feeding a bland diet? ( Boiled rice, boiled hamburg)

I wouldn't be going to the vet yet but I could be wrong.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Yeah, I would also start the diet of rice and hamburger. But, you're in a tricky situation regarding when to go to the vet. Normally, you could wait a day or two and see if she improves, however, with Christmas on Friday, you need to check your Vet's holiday schedule and availability. If dehydration sets in, she could start to have some problems that will need attention. So, you might not want to wait more than a day to see if the bland diet works.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Actually I would with hold food for about 24 hours

give some metronidazole 250 mg x 2 daily aka Fish zole at the fish store or even some Pepto bismal for a lab probably half a tablet every 4-6 hours

then yogurt and baby rice for a couple days

then slowly add dry food back in

If there isn't any improvement with in 48 hours then seek a vets advice or also vets advice if you notice anything worse and not better

make sure the dog has access to plenty of water
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Report this postReply with quote Dog Eating Gooee Poop
by BIGMac » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:06 pm

I work on a golf course in Colorado and have 14 month old lab. Unfortunately, there is a lot of goose poop on the course that she gets into and eats. I was told by my vet that her heartworm medicine would be sufficient for her last spring but here in Colorado the last dose is given in October. Do I need to worry about health issues with the eating of this during the winter months?[quote]

More than likely, this is your problem.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

BIGMac

Post by BIGMac » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 pm

I have been a lurker of this site for a few months now and haved learned and enjoyed, BUT you guys and gals are great. I went to a homeowners house that has a Golden that had diarrhea last week and she showed me a medicine the vet gave her..probably with a $60++ bill, it was metronidazole. I am heading to the pet store now to get Fish zole.
You have probably saved me a vet bill and more importantly peace of mind.
Thanks for all the great responses and the timeliness

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:10 pm

BIGMac wrote:I have been a lurker of this site for a few months now and haved learned and enjoyed, BUT you guys and gals are great. I went to a homeowners house that has a Golden that had diarrhea last week and she showed me a medicine the vet gave her..probably with a $60++ bill, it was metronidazole. I am heading to the pet store now to get Fish zole.
You have probably saved me a vet bill and more importantly peace of mind.
Thanks for all the great responses and the timeliness

If you do not see any improvements with in about 24 hours then seek a vets advice for more options

I had a couple emails wondering why the with holding of food for 24 hours

This allows the intestines to have a little time to heal with out the agitation of pushing food through
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

BIGMac

Post by BIGMac » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:37 pm

She has not had a bowel movement today so I am still waiting but no gas today :D
How many days of metronidazole 250 mg x 2 daily?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:43 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Actually I would with hold food for about 24 hours

give some metronidazole 250 mg x 2 daily aka Fish zole at the fish store or even some Pepto bismal for a lab probably half a tablet every 4-6 hours

then yogurt and baby rice for a couple days

then slowly add dry food back in

If there isn't any improvement with in 48 hours then seek a vets advice or also vets advice if you notice anything worse and not better

make sure the dog has access to plenty of water
I would suggest that specific drugs not be recommended unless you are a veterinarian since most have some restrictions on them that are not being addressed. I see a real potential for problems for both the poster and our forum if a drug is bought and misused because of a recommendation from any of us. Telling someone what you used is about as far as we need to go without seeing the dog, knowing the owner, or having any idea what is causing the problem. Lets let the vets take that risk since they are schooled and we are not.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:50 pm

ezzy, agreed, the last thing i would treat myself is the runs if it could be related to a parasite, and in this case if its from goose poop because there is risk the parasite is not some wort of worm.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:23 pm

I agree Ezzy.
The problem is that someone can read a post with a drug recommendation and say, " I'll try that on my dog " - not knowing the age limitations, indicators etc.
The Flagyl ( Metronidazole ) mentioned above is NOT for puppies nor for first term pregnant bit ches.
A user also has to know that any side effects show up 2 weeks after the last dose, otherwise they might be alarmed.

Lots of sites to Google
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't see a problem with a highly experienced breeder or owner making recommendations for specific treatment, even of a medicine. I think it should be a qualified bit of advice, but common sense should prevail. That's not to say we want to interfere with the proper diagnosis and ttreatment.
big steve

BIGMac

Post by BIGMac » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Ezzy
I appreciate your concern
I was not able to pick up the Flagyl last nite and just followed the baby diet recommendations
she finally had a BM later today adn it was firm, as I said no gas
I am sticking with the lighter diet and adding a little bit of regular food back in
Looks like she is on the mend
Thanks all
Happy holidays

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 pm

BIGMac wrote:Ezzy
I appreciate your concern
I was not able to pick up the Flagyl last nite and just followed the baby diet recommendations
she finally had a BM later today adn it was firm, as I said no gas
I am sticking with the lighter diet and adding a little bit of regular food back in
Looks like she is on the mend
Thanks all
Happy holidays

I would guess 9 out of ten times when you have that problem if you just take them off feed for a day and then start back slowly the problem will go away. And if it doesn't then I would see the vet. But three or four days would be my trigger point but that is just what I have experienced. Loose stools are usually from something the dog ate or just feeding too much. I've never had a case where I need any kind of medication if you just cut them off feed. Glad it worked for you.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:49 pm

big steve46 wrote:I don't see a problem with a highly experienced breeder or owner making recommendations for specific treatment, even of a medicine. I think it should be a qualified bit of advice, but common sense should prevail. That's not to say we want to interfere with the proper diagnosis and ttreatment.
I didn't say it was a problem if a proper diagnosis had been made. But you are dealing with a newbes description of what the problem is and that is where our problem starts. And then if we recommend that inexperienced owner get a certain med and he doesn't read the label and we don't cover all of the cautions and warnings then our experience has absolutely no value and may even add to a problem.

When vets won't prescribe without first diagnosing a case I think we are off base thinking our experience is good enough. And I realize it may be but I still find it a serious problem when the person describing the problem even admits he doesn't have a clue what is causing the diarrhea.

Ezzy

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:07 pm

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/monogr ... dazole.asp

at your dog shows the bigger supplier also sell fish zole to the dog fanciers when dogs get loose at dog shows

http://www.beaglesunlimited.net you can get more info there

I also did state that if there isn't any improvement in a short time to seek a vets advice...

you can also find similar information by small research http://www.atozvetsupply.com where you can purchase similar stuff they give hints as to other things meds can help with and you can purchase stuff OTC when it is labeled for other animals Such as Ivermectin for heartworm Heartguard is also a med which is vet controlled if you buy for dogs....If you are going to call me on this then better stop ALL helpful suggestions including those like the heartwom :evil: same difference

metronidazole is given for intestinal issues from upset stomach to giarardia it is no big secret....when I got a pup a couple years ago shipped out she got stressed and came down with a bout of stressed induced coccidia i had to take her to the vet as I was unable to get my hands on any albon we were in a small town in texas handling deer hunts...so went to the local vet FYI he gave her a mix of Albon with Metronidazole in less then 24 hours she was back to being full of her self and her poop was firming up
I have enough dogs that I can't go running to the vet for every little thing like diarrhea so this is what I do but if I do not get immediate results with in 24 - 48 hours which first 24 hours is a time of fasting as to what I described above my dogs are then off to seeing the vet ....

So again as always I do state if one doesn't see improvements or anything getting worse SEEK A VETS ADVICE IMMEDIATELY