Sportmix and Pro Pac

gspmo1

Sportmix and Pro Pac

Post by gspmo1 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:46 pm

I know food threads are kinda beat to death here but, I have not seen much talk of these two brands. I am wondering if anyone uses either of these foods, their experiences with them, and what the difference is between them (since I believe they are made by the same company.) Sportmix seems more affordable in my area.

Thanks

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Sportmix and Pro Pac

Post by snips » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:28 pm

We use the Sportmix 24/20 and really like it. There is a thread here somewhere on it. Do not know about Pro Pac.
brenda

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:00 pm

We tried Sportmix recently. Our male gets dry itchy skin from some brands of foods, so we were feeding them the more expensive boutique brands that were all natural and grain free. We tried Sportmix Lamb and Rice and he likes it and has not been scratching himself. Sportmix is half the price of the boutique stuff, so we will probably stick with it.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:25 pm

I've fed Sportsmix and it does a good job. Because two feeds are made by the same company usually means they are quite different. Otherwise there would be no purpose in making two feeds.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:17 pm

i ve been feeding sportmix for about 6 weeks wasnt for sure about it at first but im pleased with it now dogs all doing well on it i was feeding diamond for years sportmix is about 7.00 50# cheaper

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:23 pm

snips wrote:We use the Sportmix 24/20 and really like it. There is a thread here somewhere on it. Do not know about Pro Pac.
This is what I am feeding also. The dogs love it, and it seems to be working very well.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:18 pm

I started my dog on Sportmix in the beginning of October and I'm still on my first bag. I've had to increase his feed amount from 2 cups (what I was feeding with Diamond Naturals C&R) to 3 full cups with Sportmix. He was getting too thin and boney. Otherwise, my dog is doing fine on it. Smaller stool, but more feed volume. Interesting because Sportmix actually has more kcals/cup than Diamond did. You'd think he'd have more stool with the Sportmix but the opposite is true. I don't know. He LOVES the stuff, but seems to be MUCH hungrier than with the Diamond. He can't control himself around food anymore. It's like I never fed him that day. Energy is the same. I may switch to the higher fat version next.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 pm

djswizz wrote:I started my dog on Sportmix in the beginning of October and I'm still on my first bag. I've had to increase his feed amount from 2 cups (what I was feeding with Diamond Naturals C&R) to 3 full cups with Sportmix. He was getting too thin and boney. Otherwise, my dog is doing fine on it. Smaller stool, but more feed volume. Interesting because Sportmix actually has more kcals/cup than Diamond did. You'd think he'd have more stool with the Sportmix but the opposite is true. I don't know. He LOVES the stuff, but seems to be MUCH hungrier than with the Diamond. He can't control himself around food anymore. It's like I never fed him that day. Energy is the same. I may switch to the higher fat version next.
The 24/20 formula has worked better for my dogs.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Noticed today that my local Tractor Supply is now carrying Sportsmix. They had the 26/18 mini chunk, the 24/20, and one other formula, maybe puppy?

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Thanks for the info, I was looking for Sportmix the other but I could not find I ended up trying ProPac. Pup seems to really like it but still a little pricey so I'm going to pick up a bag of Sportmix tomorrow from the local feed store.

I dont think my local TSC carries it, but I'll check because that is my favorite store around here.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 am

Tractor Supply now sells Sportmix! I picked up the 24/20 variety this time around so we'll see how he does on it. I am going to feed him 4 cups though. That is double what I fed with Diamond Natural. Might not be saving much after all.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 am

Just curious...what made you decide to start out feeding double the amount? Unless i misread it looks like the 24/20 sportmix mini chunks have more calories per cup than any of the diamond natural varieties...not being a wisea$$ just curious.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 am

I had to out of necessity. He was losing muscle/fat. Too skinny and boney, not like his normal self. I didn't start him out at double the amount right away. It's been 3 months now of this. After the first month, I had to increase it a cup and have been doing this since. Now 2 months later, he is still skinny so I'm adding one more cup to see how he does.

I know, I asked myself that too - it has more kcals than DN, but I am feeding more? Didn't make sense to me. The only thing I can think of is digestibility. More of it may be getting wasted with Sportmix. If things don't return to normal after this bag (meaning 2-3 cups a day instead of 4), then I'll go back to Diamond.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 am

djswizz wrote:I had to out of necessity. He was losing muscle/fat. Too skinny and boney, not like his normal self. I didn't start him out at double the amount right away. It's been 3 months now of this. After the first month, I had to increase it a cup and have been doing this since. Now 2 months later, he is still skinny so I'm adding one more cup to see how he does.

I know, I asked myself that too - it has more kcals than DN, but I am feeding more? Didn't make sense to me. The only thing I can think of is digestibility. More of it may be getting wasted with Sportmix. If things don't return to normal after this bag (meaning 2-3 cups a day instead of 4), then I'll go back to Diamond.
I have never paid any attention to calories per cup since it really doesn't mean anything. I do know Sportsmix is considerably lighter than any of the Diamond feeds I have fed so I would fully expect to feed more cups. I have tried the Sportsmix also and like it pretty well so far. I do feed a little more by volume but I doubt if its anymore by weight, the stools are maybe less, are darker and firmer. This tells me without weighing that the stools are drier and appear to be less probably because of the less moisture. But to get to the important part the dogs are doing well and I see little difference in their condition. I do add a little oil during the cold weather to increase the heat producing calories and the dogs look forward to having it on there as one will stand and wait for me to get the oil before he starts to eat.

Just my observations,

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:09 am

I have never paid any attention to calories per cup since it really doesn't mean anything
Huh? How can you say calories don't mean anything? I am positive you know more about dog food than I, but I have suffered thru a fair amount of college level nutrition classes so I have to disagree. An animal...human, dog or otherwise....needs a certain amount of calories a day to maintain their weight. This is based on current weight, activity, metabolism etc. This is the whole basis of weight loss programs...take in less calories than you need to maintain your current weight. Please fill me in if i'm missing something...oh and i'm assuming that the dog food companies wouldn't calculate calories in if they weren't usable :)

Is this dog a kenneled dog? If so..and it's cold...i have to feed my dogs that live outside 50% more during temperatures like we have now versus warm weather. Just a thought.
Last edited by postoakshorthairs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:21 am

I think what Ezzy was saying is that just using calories per cup to compare has limits due to the size, shape and density of various kibbles. That said they are close enough generally to compare foods I think.

Calories per lb is a more precise way to compare.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:35 am

Ok. If you compare calories per pound sportmix 24/20 is higher in calories per pound then every kind of diamond natural except the extreme athlete.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 am

postoakshorthairs wrote:
I have never paid any attention to calories per cup since it really doesn't mean anything
Huh? How can you say calories don't mean anything? I am positive you know more about dog food than I, but I have suffered thru a fair amount of college level nutrition calories so I have to disagree. An animal...human, dog or otherwise....needs a certain amount of calories a day to maintain their weight. This is based on current weight, activity, metabolism etc. This is the whole basis of weight loss programs...take in less calories than you need to maintain your current weight. Please fill me in if i'm missing something...oh and i'm assuming that the dog food companies wouldn't calculate calories in if they weren't usable :)
The reason is that every dog food has a different density depending on how it is processed. It may take 4 cups of a light food to equal 3 cups of a heavier feed which I would guess is about the comparison between the Sportsmix and the Diamond. And the other thing is how many of us use a measured cup and not just some plastic or metal container we call a cup.

The other side of the equation is the digestibility of the feeds, how much water is being consumed, difference in individual dogs metabolism, plus other variables that in field situations we can't or don't measure.

This why in our normal field conditions you must look at your dog and that is the only sure way to judge how much food it needs. And that is the basis of any feeding program. We are trying to provide the necessary nutrients for the dog to survive and prosper. Only the dog can tell you how you are doing. to be perfectly honest I can't tell you how many calories any food has as I have never looked. I do look at protein, fat, and fiber since those are the important ones that vary in different feeds. I glance at the list of ingredients on the bag but only because I do like to see a meat product as the first ingredient even though I know that is not terribly important and I do look at the price. Other than that I look at the dog and go from there. And every time someone asks about the protein or fat levels I have to go look since I don't pay much attention and don't remember after I have made up my mind as to what I want to feed as long as it is doing a good job.

I am not saying that everybody should do it like that as I think the information on the bags do give you a guideline but they sure don't give you the formula or guarantee the results. What they do is guarantee all of the necessary elements of a good and complete ration that a dog needs is in the bag but it is still up to you to feed your dog properly as far as amount goes. But experience along with observation will tell you how to feed any product and not what is printed on the bag.

Ezzy