Sore feet

mandrakeduck

Sore feet

Post by mandrakeduck » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm on vacation and took my GSPs out for the first hunt today. We city folks and only occassionally get to hunt. Emma (6) and Molly (2). Molly never gets sore feet but Emma does get sore feet. Usually Emma will hunt a couple days before she gets sore feet.

Anyway, Emma came down with sore feet. She has torn skin off of three of her large pads on both front and one back.

1. What do you recommend to treat her condition.

2. Beside use of boots... any thoughts how to prevent this from happening in the future. I've seen some products that claim to thicken dog pads???

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Sore feet

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:27 pm

If you only take her out occasionally and then you take her out for several day, this is going to happen. E-gel, Tuff Pad is used by some. I live in the city too. I get mine out everyday even if it's a 30 minute run on the sidewalk - no pad problems.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Sore feet

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:37 pm

Bag balm always has mine healed up in a day or two......

Ive found conditioning the dogs by running them is the best IMHO
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno