setter snubbing food

dualsetter

setter snubbing food

Post by dualsetter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:15 am

I have a six month old setter and recently he is not showing much interest in his food. Up until last week he was a voracious eater. I have him on pro plan large breed puppy and recently went from 3 cups per day to 5 cups a day split up into two feedings about 12 hours apart. He is reluctantly eating about 2 1/2 cups per day total. He is more apt to eat in the evening and shows little to no interest in the morning, should I just start feeding him once a day in the evening? His energy levels and stamina are great and I have been working him pretty hard just curious if anyone has any insight. Thanks in advance

Dave

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: setter snubbing food

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 am

He is intact? Hormones may or may not be the issue but intact males about that age are notorious for refusing food. Don't indulge him, don't hover around while the food is down.

Mine started the same stuff at about that age. If you don't see any other reason for this, hormones could be the reason. Growth rates also start to slow so that could be the reason as well.

If his reluctance to eat more than he is eating causes any problems, see the vet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:28 am

dualsetter wrote:I have a six month old setter and recently he is not showing much interest in his food. Up until last week he was a voracious eater. I have him on pro plan large breed puppy and recently went from 3 cups per day to 5 cups a day split up into two feedings about 12 hours apart. He is reluctantly eating about 2 1/2 cups per day total. He is more apt to eat in the evening and shows little to no interest in the morning, should I just start feeding him once a day in the evening? His energy levels and stamina are great and I have been working him pretty hard just curious if anyone has any insight. Thanks in advance

Dave

Just cut him back on his food to where he was before. Sounds like you just jumped too far too fast and once he filled up he decided he really didn't need that much. Remember it is ok to let them be a little hungry as long as their bogy condition is doing ok.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 am

With the amount of activity he gets, perhaps 2 1/2 cups is all he needs. If his energy, coat, and stools are good, I wouldn't worry about it. Setters are smarter than the other breeds, so they do a better job of regulating the amount of feed they need. :D
big steve

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Seems like a heck of a lot of dog food. 2 1/2 cups should be plenty.

My 7 and 4 year old setters, who get lots of exercise, look great on 1 1/4 cups a day ( no treats).
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:59 pm

I'd be interested in knowing the details of "...been working him pretty hard..." Just how hard a you working a 6 month old pup?? Thanks

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I've been going by the table on the back of the feed bag and for a six to nine month old pup they recommend 5.25 cups per day. before the increase he ate like every meal was his last so it was a bit alarming when he began to show little interest in feeding time.

mcbosco - He is still intact and goes in for his neuter procedure this thursday.

bossman - "working him" was probably a poor choice of words, he runs and plays with my buddy's golden for two hours everyday.

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 pm

How much will he weigh at maturity?..I think there is a real possibility your feeding him too much. Try feeding him less, twice a day. If he hasn't finished it in 20 minutes, pick it up..jmo

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 pm

It is not smart to neuter the dog until he's mature, say at least a year. I don't care what the Vet advises, I think most experienced hunters and breeders agree with me. Maybe he's lost his appetite a bit because he knows what you intend to do. :D
big steve

dualsetter

Post by dualsetter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:05 am

bossman - he will go about 70lbs at maturity.

bigsteve - he is a double cryptorchid, his testicles are up in his abdomen. vet says it is less invasive on the pup and less of a chance for complications the sooner I have it done. from the little research I have done it makes sense to have it done sooner than later in this situation.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:51 pm

I have read that if you neuter him that young, you will likely end up with an oversized dog. Unless there is a medical reason that requires you to neuter him, you should wait until he is at least 12 months old.

5 cups is a lot of food and 2 hours of play each day is not "working him hard".
Only 2 hours of play will lead to a fat and out of shape dog.

At 6 months old, our dogs were playing at every awake moment; wrestling, running, exploring, etc
Sleep, play, eat; that was their daily routine.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.