Conditioning, feeding, hydrating the working dog

gunner

Conditioning, feeding, hydrating the working dog

Post by gunner » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:44 am

Reading a number of posts here and on other bulletin boards recently, I noticed considerable interest, and sometime confusion on the conditioning, feeding and hydrating working dogs.
Some confusion comes from types of sugars (syrup vs maltdextrins)also types of fats, proteins etc. Importance of keeping a dog hydrated, H20 vs glycerin/glycerol and conditioning stratigies.
Alot of material has come out in print and video recently on these subjects, but from the postings it appears many dogfolk missed them.
Here are places to read or find further info...

Pointing Dog Journal. Sept/Oct '03 Nutritional Stratagies for Optimal Performance, Mike Lardy

Gun Dog Magazine. Dec/Jan '04 A Visit with Dr. Arleigh Reynolds, Bob West

Field Trial Magazine. Issue 6 Water Balance & Hydration, Dr. Arliegh Reynolds..... Nutrition of Field Trial Dogs Dr. Pat McIneer

Undstanding Water Balance and Stratigies for Hydration online at
http://members.aol.com/ganglineweb/src/ ... /water.htm

2002 Sporting Dog Summit...Conditioning and Feeding for Optimal Performance 160 min. 4 video tape Purina $35. (OUTSTANDING PRESENTATION) *does't push Purina

*Shooting Sportsman Magazine Sept/Oct '05 letters to the editor...
Bar Basics & Beyond

Bar Basics & Beyond
It was with great interest that I read the Letters section of the May/June issue. As usual, your editorial staff provided a balanced view of the discussion on the Purina Pro Plan Performance Bar. However, as the scientist who developed the bar, I would like to clarify a few misconceptions in a letter by one of your veterinary readers ("Same Ol' Disappointments"). Like your reader, I have a veterinary degree. I also have a PhD in nutrition, am board certified in clinical nutrition and have been doing research on the relationship between nutrition and performance in dogs for 18 years. In addition I have competed in dog sports and won or placed in the top three for the World Cup in my sport three times. It is with these credentials that I have developed and field-tested the Purina Pro Plan Performance Bar.

I would respectfully disagree with the veterinarian's comments that this bar should be labeled as "just a marketing exercise to convince people to spend money needlessly on unproven gimmicks." During the past 15 years it has become evident in the human and canine performance worlds that carbohydrate administration immediately after exercise improves stamina. John Ivy and colleagues first showed this effect in human athletes in 1988. We published similar findings in 1997 and 2002. In short, by giving 1.5 g/kg body weight of maltodextrin, we were able to replace half of the carbohydrate (sugar) stores used by the muscles during exercise within the first four hours of recovery and completely replace them in 24 hours. If we waited just two hours and fed a regular meal, we found that the dogs only replaced 60 percent of their stores in 24 hours. This means that if you hunt three days in a row and just feed your normal meals, your dog will begin day three with less of this fuel in his tank than he ended day one with, and his stamina will suffer. This is why all competitive runners, cyclists and sled dog teams use this strategy.

In addition, we recently exercised our dogs for 16 miles and measured blood glucose (sugar) levels before and after exercise. Dogs given Purina Pro Plan Performance Bars before exercise maintained normal blood glucose levels, whereas those exercised without the bars had significantly lower levels. Decline in blood glucose is associated with decreased mental function and fatigue in human athletes and is likely to have the same effect on canine athletes.

To achieve these benefits, one must be careful of the form of carbohydrate administered. Simple sugars, like candy, are not good sources, as they require a lot of water to process and this can lead to vomiting and/or diarrhea. They also cause a rapid rise in blood insulin that lowers blood sugar levels, often below normal, and can cause declines in performance or even collapse. We choose maltodextrin for the performance bar, because it requires less water per sugar unit to process and is therefore easy on the gut and is absorbed more steadily and does not result in large insulin secretions or rebound hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

I concur with your veterinary reader that we cannot be sure that the dog mentioned in Mr. Huggler's article (Field Gear, March/April) responded to administration of the bar and that it is good practice to carry a thermometer into the field. However, I can tell you that we have treated several documented cases of hypoglycemia with the bar with outstanding results and I am positive that these dogs would not have recovered as well if treated with candy (due to the rebound hypoglycemia) or a spent shotgun shell.

In summary, I can assure you that the Purina Pro Plan Performance Bar is not a gimmick and is not candy, but it does have years of research in the laboratory and the field behind it. This is not my opinion; it is supported by studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals and by championships won in several arenas within the world of dog sports.

Arleigh J. Reynolds, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Diplomate American College of Veterinary Nutrition
Senior Scientist Nestlé Purina Pet Care Co.

*these bars have evidently been taken off the market due to lack of interest by the average dog owner and perhaps their expense. Malodextrins may be purchased elsewhere from a number of different sources and price.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:14 pm

TTT for katjoy
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)