flea and tick prevention

eastwash

flea and tick prevention

Post by eastwash » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:47 pm

What does everyone use? I have used frontline plus in the past without any problems. I do not apply during the winter and will start up again in March and as I was looking online for best prices I notice several revues about people complaining that frontline plus had stop working for them so thought I would seek advice from this forum regarding your experiences and preferred treatment method before I make the upcoming seasons purchases.

thanks
eastwash
Two Faced Jake

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: flea and tick prevention

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 pm

its 20 degrees where I live and 18 - 24 inches of snow is coming, fleas and ticks? LOLOLO

frontline plus seems to always work

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 am

only one person has an opinion on this? :roll:
Two Faced Jake

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:31 am

There are only two things on the market that work well and are safe, Frontline & Advantix. If you have a cat like many do, dont use Advantix unless you want a sick or dead cat.

You dont even need Frontline Plus just Frontline unless you have a current infestation. The "plus" kills eggs on the dog's skin.

Some say that Frontline is better on fleas but Advantix is better on ticks.

Hey its Winter....

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Unfortunately, "Winter" is a whole different animal here in FL. A very reliable source told us of still seeing a lot of flea infestations, so we use the K9 Advantix year round down here.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:25 pm

good point FLA its an all year round thing...hey did you see lizards hanging from the trees a few weeks ago when it was cold?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:07 pm

i have been using the adams brand shampoo and spot treatment without complaints.

we are lyme tick central and adams products have been working well.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Merle

Post by Merle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Frontline has worked well for me. My dog is 55 lbs. so I buy the 89-132 lb. size and get two months out of one dose. If I am going to be in an area that is especially infested with ticks I will spray her with a squirt or two of Martins Horse and Stable when we get out of the truck.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 pm

mcbosco wrote:good point FLA its an all year round thing...hey did you see lizards hanging from the trees a few weeks ago when it was cold?
Frankly, it looks like we're headed for another cold snap this week. And no, haven't seen lizards or frogs for weeks now, due to the uncommonly cold conditions. And because of all the rain I'm leery of taking the dog in the conservation area behind our house for fear that the water has driven the rattlers up into the few dry spot there are (which is how he got bitten a few months ago). REALLY don't want to go through THAT again! :(
=SubMariner=

kumate

Post by kumate » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:17 am

Sub, curious didnt you get the rattle snake vaccine? I just got the first round about 10 days ago. where will the hunt test be? I am going to try and make it.

jerry

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:47 pm

kumate wrote:Sub, curious didnt you get the rattle snake vaccine? I just got the first round about 10 days ago. where will the hunt test be? I am going to try and make it.

jerry
Hi Jerry,

I was told by several local vets that since none of the indigenous rattlers were used to make the vaccine, that it was not useful. We'll just have to trust in Zio's post-bite snake avoidance training to keep him away from them.

Here's a link to the event posting here in the Event forum: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 90&t=22440

It's in Masarkytown, FL.

Hope to see you there! :mrgreen:
=SubMariner=

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 am

SubMariner wrote:
I was told by several local vets that since none of the indigenous rattlers were used to make the vaccine, that it was not useful. We'll just have to trust in Zio's post-bite snake avoidance training to keep him away from them.
My vet told me NOT to give the vaccine to Shooter. She said since he's already been bitten, that'd she'd be nervous about an adverse reaction to the vaccine.

I've heard the vaccine's effectiveness against eastern diamondbacks is fairly low, but it does have a better effect against pygmys.

But back to flea/tick control - we used Advantix when needed. We don't do year-round flea/tick control as we just don't like putting poison on our dogs if we don't have to. Besides that, one of ours started having an adverse reaction to Advantix where his hair started thinning at the application site. Skin reactions aren't uncommon, I believe.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:00 pm

eastwash wrote:only one person has an opinion on this? :roll:
It's an old subject. Hard to get reved up to post. :) when it 20 degree below zero here in Ontario.

I use Advantix. Never seen a flea or a tick. That's all I can say. 3 dogs , 12 years, never seen a skin reaction
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kumate

Post by kumate » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:15 am

Thanks, When i was at my vet for vaccinations and another prob, the vet said that all the sheriffs dept dogs had the rattlesnake vaccine and encouraged me to do so. So i did, i have to go back and get the 2nd series. If i can switch with someone at work i wil go massarkytown is pretty close i have been there a few times.

Jerry