Preparation For Whelping

Casper

Preparation For Whelping

Post by Casper » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:50 pm

I am expecting my first litter and some recent discussions have come up about things to have on hand for the whelping and some things to do prior to whelping.

Do you keep Oxytocin on hand? If so what is your reasoning for having it, when do you implement it, how often have you used it during a whelping?

Supplements? Do you provide any, if so what and how much? Does anyone give added calcium?

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Re: Preparation For Whelping

Post by Yawallac » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I am expecting my first litter and some recent discussions have come up about things to have on hand for the whelping and some things to do prior to whelping.
Congrats! Having puppies is a lot of fun and very rewarding.

One of the most important things is to keep the pups warm. If their body temperature falls below 95 degrees their internal organs shut down and you can't bring them back. We have a heat source under the whelping box, a heat lamp in the whelping box and a puppy pad for additional warmth. We have lost more pups due to heat loss than any other reason.
Do you keep Oxytocin on hand? If so what is your reasoning for having it, when do you implement it, how often have you used it during a whelping?
Yes, we do, but we use it with extreme caution. If you administer too much, you can literally suffocate a pup by having the uterus contract too tightly. You have to know what you are doing and I would not use it without the supervison of your vet.
Supplements?
We supplemented Sarah with Fish Oil for the entire pregnancy. The vet said to use it so we did. Don't know why and didn't ask.
Does anyone give added calcium?
Yes, the uterus uses up calcium during delivery so we mix yogurt with some canned food during 'breaks' to get calcium back in their system.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 pm

I have never supplemented and have never had a problem. We always keep the female on the feed she has been eating so as not to unset the digestion during her gestation time. We cut the feed back for a day or two before she whelps if she doesn't cut herself back to reduce heat and swelling and it pretty well eliminates any mastitis problems. She is kept on a reduced feed for two to three days after whelping as well and then moved back up to as much as she will eat by the time the pups are about a week old and then full fed from there. If she seem hungry during those days before and after whelping we have fed some vegetables and high fiber feed to supplement her regular feed again to reduce the heat and swelling that leads to problems with the mammary system.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:07 am

It sounds like this is your first litter? I would leave Oxytocin questions to your vet. You might want to see if one of the Vet's technicians can come over for the whelping, kind of on the side. I used to do that since I travelled constantly then and my wife is a city girl and used to call me crying. She even fainted once and cut her head on the kitchen counter.

Best $50 I ever spent.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:29 am

Oxytocin, some vets will only give it after an X-ray to make sure a pup isnt caught. I know a guy who gives it when he thinks the jip is done. It is maily about what your vet is comfortable with.

I have never given supplements (not to say I wouldnt, just never had the need) I start increasing feed about 2-3 weeks out, after the pups are born I double her feed and start feeding twice a day.

For instance I feed about 3 cups depending on the dog. 2-3 weeks out I start increasing. When pups are born I will start with 3 cups twice a day, possibly increasing.

madonna

Post by madonna » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Hallo- if you get in trouble with your bitch- call the vet or a good breeder from near by! Oxytocin can kill the pups and the bitch- please, please, be careful!
the first important is already said: warmth!
second: a little whisky of the tongue of the mother if she is not well of at the whelping, also for pups, that do not breath good.
third: dog milk! you always have to be aware, that you get to many pups, or some, that never get enough milk. for these you need the dog milk. when the pups get their first own food after 4 weeks, you can also use the dog milk.
a little bottle for babies or pups!
a thermometer- you have to look three times a day in the anus, if the bitch has fever- !
Good luck- my advice: contact a good breeder nearby or a vet that is experienced in breeding . My best wishes Madonna
The woman, who plays with the pups

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:50 pm

A little whiskey on the tongue of the breeder helps calm things down too. :mrgreen:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

madonna

Post by madonna » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Sharon wrote:A little whiskey on the tongue of the breeder helps calm things down too. :mrgreen:

Hallo Sharon- but not too much in case you have to drive with the bitch and some new born pups to a vet!

for this case you need: a basket with blankets, wärmeflasch- a bottle made of rubber with hot water inside- i do not know the english word. Greeting madonna

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:20 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have never supplemented and have never had a problem. We always keep the female on the feed she has been eating so as not to unset the digestion during her gestation time. We cut the feed back for a day or two before she whelps if she doesn't cut herself back to reduce heat and swelling and it pretty well eliminates any mastitis problems. She is kept on a reduced feed for two to three days after whelping as well and then moved back up to as much as she will eat by the time the pups are about a week old and then full fed from there. If she seem hungry during those days before and after whelping we have fed some vegetables and high fiber feed to supplement her regular feed again to reduce the heat and swelling that leads to problems with the mammary system.
Nature has been at this alot longer than we have. Your female knows what she is doing, let her do it. Keep the pups warm and stand by for those just in case moments. Otherwise, Ezzy has it right.

Oh, and as Sharon said, relax and enjoy the whelping. It can take a good amount of time.
I expect to see some pic asap. :D

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Goat's milk is a good thing to feed the puppies if there are too many.

We supplement her food with a tablespoon of cottage cheese, 1 hard boiled egg, and fish oil.

Our vet said all our puppies were nice and fat with beautiful coats.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:07 pm

A/C Guy wrote:Goat's milk is a good thing to feed the puppies if there are too many.

We supplement her food with a tablespoon of cottage cheese, 1 hard boiled egg, and fish oil.

Our vet said all our puppies were nice and fat with beautiful coats.
I used to keep a couple of nannys to mow the exercise lots and their milk is great for raising most any babies. I'ved use it for puppies to baby rabbits and it seems to work for them all.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

madonna

Post by madonna » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:49 pm

...hello - and why not use dog milk- in every shop for dogs you get this mild very cheap. Greeting madonna

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:11 pm

The guy down my street has 6 Alpine goats that he keeps basically as a tax dodge but his wife is always giving out the milk. It makes terrific yogurt, very simple in a Tupper Ware, a spoonful from the prior batch and a small igloo cooler filled with warm water. 12 hours later you are done.

Dog loves the stuff.