Shedding Problem

mikko

Shedding Problem

Post by mikko » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:44 pm

My 1.5 year old lab has a major shedding issue. Have owned labs in past and around labs all the time. People comment they can't beleive it's as bad as I say till they see it with there own eyes. The excess shedding (witch has started since day one) is putting major stress on my marriage. I need to come up with a game plan or get rid of mikko. Have tried adding powder supplements like shed stop mikko will not eat the food. Vet put him on fish oil witch helped very little. He currently is eating premium edge lamb/rice mix. Thinking of changing foods, any suggestions. Mikko is the best lab I have ever owned so willing to try anything. Please help.
thanks

Tim

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Shedding Problem

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Put him in an outside kennel. You probably won't change the shedding a bit with different foods or supplements. Or buy furniture and rugs the same color as your dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 pm

I have put my lab and pointer on salmon oil tabs from CVS.....

Seems to have helped, did for sure with the pointer.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Is he shedding a lot of undercoat or guard coat or both? Did the vet do any blood work? Are you using a shedding blade to thin it out? Is his skin flaky or red? Normal weight? Temperament?

If the choice is to get rid of him, I would try a supplement like Nupro and/or try a food with higher protein. Is he on a lamb kibble for any particular reason?

I had a Choco Lab, in fact that's the Bosco, in McBosco. He was a light shedder, but staying on top of it with the right brush will probably do the most good the fastest.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 am

We have an Australian Sheppard in the house and twice a year she will shed A LOT. What we have found to work for us and the dog is when she starts we take her to a groomer and have her shaved. The hair will grow back and durring that time there is minimal hair being shed. The dog seems to enjoy it also. It only costs $40 but not hearing all the complaining from the wife about it is priceless.

mikko

Post by mikko » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 am

We have many types of dog brushes. Under coat brush, wire brush, furminater. WE brush daily. I guess I don't know what he is shedding. Would say it is his outer coat. Skin color doesn't look flaky. Hard to check. (any suggestions) He is on lamb food cause he didn't like the chicken food "premium edge" offerd and I had liked there food in past with my chocolate lab. He is a yellow 49lbs pure breed, and very energetic dog but very well behaved. Healthy. Vet didn't think blood work was necessary. Gets lots of excercise in non snowy months.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:28 am

Use an undercoat rake daily during times of heavy shedding. During the heavy shed, rinse the dog with warm water, completely soaking him, once per week. Dry completely, with a dryer if possible, and use the undercoat rake again.

Another thing to consider... if your dog is an indoor dog, then they tend to shed somewhat year round.

I don't have a Lab, but I did hear a saying about how often they shed. Labs shed twice per year, the first 6 months of the year, and the second 6 months of the year. :o

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:09 am

Mikko did you get my PM?

A slicker brush is a must and a shed rake is very helpful too. You also need a steel comb to clean out the slicker brush. Pin brushes do very little for a Labs coat.

Slicker Brush... http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming ... /43893.uts

Rake...http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming ... /44175.uts

Comb... http://www.petedge.com/product/Grooming ... /45163.uts

I have heard that living in the house with artificial heat like a furnace or forced air heating all winter can cause a lot of dog to shed before the spring shedding season.

I think the CANIDAE All Life Stage food would be what I would feed next. Always had great luck and excellent coats on all my dogs.

mikko

Post by mikko » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Have all 3 of those brushes. Thanks everyone for your help. Thinking will build kennel for him to have more outside time. Don't think he will like it, but he should be able to adjust. (I may have more problems with that than him)