Zimecterin Gold

Post Reply
dwilson
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Zimecterin Gold

Post by dwilson » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:20 pm

I have a question on the use of zimecterin gold.

We just brought home a gsp pup and was curious when I should start her on the ZG? Are you guys using it every month with your adult dogs? I was using the regular 1.87% paste with my vizsla and just ran out so was thinking of making a switch. She is going on 12 weeks old now and is probably in the 12 lb range I am guessing and growing quick.

User avatar
Birddog3412
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:09 am
Location: Oblong, Illinois

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:16 pm

I wish someone would comment, Ive been thinking of switching to it myself.

User avatar
mcbosco
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Monmouth County NJ

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Why would anyone use that product on a regular basis for a dog. Are you using it primarily for the ivermectin or praziquantel? Is there a reason why your pup needs praziquantel?

"Do not use in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result"

vzkennels

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:17 pm

If your going to use it for Heartworms you don't need the Gold just the plain Zimecterin will work & a little cheaper.
You can buy different generics of the paste at feed stores,tractor supply,etc for 1/2 or even a 1/3 of the Zim cost that does the same.But I would stay away from the ZIM GOLD,not needed whether it's harmful or not.
Last edited by vzkennels on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Brittguy
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1100
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by Brittguy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:23 pm

I have a friend that runs a boarding/training stable. They had trouble with mouth ulcers when using Gold type. I Googled it once and also saw a reference to that.

User avatar
daniel77
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:27 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by daniel77 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:49 pm

From what I've heard, the paste type horse wormers have some inconsistency in dosage within the tube. Not a problem at all when giving the whole tube to a horse, but certainly can be when giving a fraction of it to a dog. My vet, who, like me has spent most of her life in the horse business, says she's seen two dogs go blind from being given the paste wormers and OD's. I agree that you don't need the "gold", but I'd encourage you to buy ivermectin in a bottle instead of a paste. FWIW
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

vzkennels

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Daniel I'm not disareeing with you or your vet & I'm certainly no vet but I know people that have used it for yrs one of them one of the biggest GSP breeders in the country with no problems.
I personally use the liquid because it's much easier to measure a more exact dose.None of it is approved for canines but much more economical & no perscriptions needed.
The decision is yours to make.

shags
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2437
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by shags » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:58 pm

daniel77 wrote:From what I've heard, the paste type horse wormers have some inconsistency in dosage within the tube. Not a problem at all when giving the whole tube to a horse, but certainly can be when giving a fraction of it to a dog. My vet, who, like me has spent most of her life in the horse business, says she's seen two dogs go blind from being given the paste wormers and OD's. I agree that you don't need the "gold", but I'd encourage you to buy ivermectin in a bottle instead of a paste. FWIW
For what it's worth, a big batch is mixed and then dispensed into the tubes - so the medication is evenly distributed throughout the batch before it's tubed. Otherwise, some tubes of wormer would have more or less medication than others, and not be dosage on the label.

My vet has also warned about blindness in dogs given ivermectin horse paste.

I did the math at one point, and to give the effective amount of praziquantel to a dog, the ivermectin in IG would be overdosed by a large amount. My dogs get monthly Ivomec for cattle for heartworm and intestinal worms, and fenbendazole (Safeguard Goat Wormer) couple times a year.

User avatar
daniel77
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:27 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by daniel77 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

vzkennels wrote:Daniel I'm not disareeing with you or your vet & I'm certainly no vet but I know people that have used it for yrs one of them one of the biggest GSP breeders in the country with no problems.
I personally use the liquid because it's much easier to measure a more exact dose.None of it is approved for canines but much more economical & no perscriptions needed.
The decision is yours to make.
All of my dogs for the last dozen years or so have gotten the paste as well, with no ill effects thus far, but I do try and learn and do better as I go. I'm going to get a bottle of the liquid from here on and see how that works. No idea if she's correct or not, and the mixing should be uniform, but I feel like the liquid would definitely be uniform and I can shake that to remix it anyway, and, as you say, measuring the liquid is far easier. Each to his own.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

airmedic1
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by airmedic1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:42 pm

I've been using the Ivomec liquid for more than 20+ years and never had a problem. I buy mine at Tractor supply, keep it in the fridge and use a TB syringe to get the exact amount needed for each dog. I weigh the dogs before giving it to them and compute the dose and go from there. Mine usually expires before I use it all but it's a lot cheaper in the first place.
Don't buy the Ivomec Plus, just the regular ivermectin for cattle and administer it orally. I do give another broad spectrum wormer a few times each year as well.
Of all the places I've been, this is one of them!

User avatar
daniel77
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:27 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by daniel77 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 pm

I should amend saying that "all" my dogs got cattle wormer. I rode a colt for a Vet friend who gave me a 6 month supply of Revolution to try out, and I used it on our German Shepherd. Other than that, cattle wormer rocks and is so much cheaper than the "dog" wormers.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

User avatar
Richard *UT*
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:28 pm
Location: Kamas UT.

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by Richard *UT* » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:33 pm

mcbosco wrote:Why would anyone use that product on a regular basis for a dog. Are you using it primarily for the ivermectin or praziquantel? Is there a reason why your pup needs praziquantel?

"Do not use in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result"
The Praziquantel is for round worms and tape worms that the ivermectin does not get. There is a hall of fame post that goes into Ivermectin and the pastes and even covers dosage, pregnant females and young dogs. It is long because there is alot of info in there. As far as overdosing on ivermectin it take a lot to do so but you have to decide. Anyway give that hall of fame post a look and good luck with your dog
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

User avatar
mcbosco
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Monmouth County NJ

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by mcbosco » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:24 am

Richard *UT* wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Why would anyone use that product on a regular basis for a dog. Are you using it primarily for the ivermectin or praziquantel? Is there a reason why your pup needs praziquantel?

"Do not use in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result"
The Praziquantel is for round worms and tape worms that the ivermectin does not get. There is a hall of fame post that goes into Ivermectin and the pastes and even covers dosage, pregnant females and young dogs. It is long because there is alot of info in there. As far as overdosing on ivermectin it take a lot to do so but you have to decide. Anyway give that hall of fame post a look and good luck with your dog

Having grown up on a racing and show stable on I know what praziquantel is for. First off, roundworms are pretty rare in adult dogs that are healthy. I don't see any reason to act prophylactically. Second, there is too much paranoia on tape worms. It is something to take care of if your dogs get one but again no reason to give medication on a regular basis.

Heartworms, however, are another matter. The downside is high, risky & expensive. That makes sense, the others do not.

Would you apply Fipronil powder to a kid's head every day for the one or two times in his life that he gets lice?

Fish 4-5
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:33 am
Location: va

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by Fish 4-5 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Is this stuff safe for 14 week puppies or does he need to be older for starting this med. ?

User avatar
mcbosco
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Monmouth County NJ

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

IMO, No

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16644
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Zimecterin Gold

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Doesn't sound safe at any age in my opinion. There are better choices.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Reply