type of wormer?

gspdog

type of wormer?

Post by gspdog » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Was wondering what type of wormer I should be using for my 5o lb gsp's? My 1 yr old had a 1/2"long x1/8" wide white worm? Is it something that you should give regularly or when you think its needed? Thanks.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: type of wormer?

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:21 am

was it a flat type worm if so..this would be a tape worm and parquaintzel (sp?)is the wormer you need for them.. What we use is Fish Tap 34 mg 1 pill a day for three days you can get this in the fish section
the other things is you need to check your dog and surroundings for fleas as that is how they get tape worms

you can also order some tape worm meds through any of the dogs and cat supply www.atozvetsupply.com i just get the fish tape as you can get more pills for less price
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:56 am

Depending on where you live, besides checking for fleas make sure your dog is not getting any mice. Field mice and voles are a carrier for tapeworms too, although I think they are a different type than the ones carried by fleas. The medication is the same to get rid of both types though. Here in Idaho the snow is leaving and there are field mice and voles everywhere when I take my dogs out to run. My 2 yr old GSP loves to hunt mice (we are working hard on breaking the habit with an e collar but there are so many the temptation is great). Every once in a while she'll catch one and eat it and my 12 week old lab caught one the other day too. So I guess we'll be treating them soon too.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 am

As gross as they are tape worms aren't a real health threat at all, more hysteria than anything else..i dont see a reason to give anything on a regular basis just deal with it when or if it happens, imo

I have never tried any of the natural remedies for tapeworms but there are a few like pumpkin seeds and some enzymes (like papain in papaya & bromelain in pineapple) that have certain compounds that flush them out or degrade the exterior of the worm. Ground pumpkin seeds have been used for hundreds of years for this purpose and are commonly used in Chinese medicine. Last year my son did a project on enzymes and I was amazed what papain did to ground beef in a very short periof of time.

interesting stuff