Ticks and Lyme disease

airmedic1

Ticks and Lyme disease

Post by airmedic1 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 am

We took our three dogs camping with us last week and allowed them to roam the area. They came back covered with ticks, both wood and deer types. When we returned home I put Bio-Spot on them and have been pulling ticks as I find them. (I know I should have put the Bio-Spot on before we went but I didn’t think of it) :oops:
I’m concerned they may have been exposed to Lyme disease. I had it a few years ago and felt terrible until I was prescribed antibiotics. My recovery was quick and dramatic.
I plan on contacting my vet tomorrow and discussing this with him but do you think they should be put on prophylactic antibiotics?
Of all the places I've been, this is one of them!

Lexus423

Re: Ticks and Lyme disease

Post by Lexus423 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:56 am

I would go to your vet and check. Im not sure how they would detect lyme disease, but make sure you get a lyme disease vaccine!

Also try using Frontline Plus, my 7 month old GSP came home with ticks 3 straight days last month. I applyed the frontline and I have not found or pulled off any since.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:46 am

Lexus423 wrote:I would go to your vet and check. Im not sure how they would detect lyme disease, but make sure you get a lyme disease vaccine!

Also try using Frontline Plus, my 7 month old GSP came home with ticks 3 straight days last month. I applyed the frontline and I have not found or pulled off any since.
airmedic1 wrote:We took our three dogs camping with us last week and allowed them to roam the area. They came back covered with ticks, both wood and deer types. When we returned home I put Bio-Spot on them and have been pulling ticks as I find them. (I know I should have put the Bio-Spot on before we went but I didn’t think of it) :oops:
I’m concerned they may have been exposed to Lyme disease. I had it a few years ago and felt terrible until I was prescribed antibiotics. My recovery was quick and dramatic.
I plan on contacting my vet tomorrow and discussing this with him but do you think they should be put on prophylactic antibiotics?

I am not a Vet but I live in the absolute highest risk area for Lyme in the US. I would not go crazy. Ehrlichiosis from a tick worries me more than Lyme.

1) Nebraska is a very low risk state for contracting Lyme disease. Check the CDC website. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/LYME/ld_Incidence.htm
2) Not all Deer ticks carry the bacteria, even in very high risk areas only about 50% of the ticks carry it.
3) Only about 3-5% of dogs that are bitten with a Deer tick that is infected actually get sick. So if you assume that 25% of the Ticks have Lyme and the Risk is 5%, then 1.25 bites out of 100 result in the illness.
4) Dogs do not get the illness like people do. It is much more mild than you are lead to believe.
5) The vaccine is not worth it.

It is always a good idea to chat with your vet though.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:33 am

I use two things: K9 Advantix and a Preventic collar.

I used to use Frontline Plus, and I like how the Frontline soaks in the coat faster/better. But in my experience after switching over to K9 Advantix last summer, the Advantix works MUCH better keeping ticks off the dogs.

Keep in mind, though, you can't use Advantix around cats because it will kill them.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 am

Ayres wrote:I use two things: K9 Advantix and a Preventic collar.

I used to use Frontline Plus, and I like how the Frontline soaks in the coat faster/better. But in my experience after switching over to K9 Advantix last summer, the Advantix works MUCH better keeping ticks off the dogs.

Keep in mind, though, you can't use Advantix around cats because it will kill them.

same with BioSpot

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:17 am

The test is not highly accurate.

All my dogs test positive for exposure to lyme...I have had it bad as well.
As of now the dogs have been unaffected (except for my lab) even tho they
show positive on the test. Get them checked next time you have a regular
visit. There is a vaccine for dogs.

First thing I noticed in my lab was front joint soreness and unwillingness to eat.
If you notice those two things in the future you want to get them in and the vet
will get them on Anti B's.

Lil tidbit for the wealth of nearly useless information.....

Lyme is transmitted from Deer mice thru the tick to us and our dogs......
everyone seems to think its from Deer but its actually deer mice.

I wouldnt be too concerned just vigilant. Its is much more serious in people
than dogs, that said a dog that stops eating can be in trouble pretty quickly.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno