Puppy Food- Do they really need it?

Lexus423

Puppy Food- Do they really need it?

Post by Lexus423 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 am

Hello all,

I recently visited a shop that makes their own dry dog food here in NY. The shop has hundreds of clients that swear by the food and many owners have had dogs that have lived for many years over their expectancy.

The owner asked me what I have been feeding my 7 month old GSP (Purina Pro Plan) and basically told me that all puppy food is the dog food companies way of making more money. He explained that there is no reason for puppies to be eating food with such a high protien content, since it is not natural in the wild. Their food is around 22% protein and no puppy food.

I truly believe that their food is great, and seeing some of his clients secured that fact. Their dogs were all in great shape and beautiful. I just dont know if the puppy food I am feeding him now is providing him with something the other food will not.

Does anyone know the benefits of puppy food? Any recommendations for a quality food?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy Food- Do they really need it?

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 am

I would say a canine in the wild (wolf) eats a ton of protein....pure meat diet is full of protein.

I guess that shop may think all the dogs here on this board don't need 30-20 super premium food..... :roll:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:10 pm

That is just what he said. A wolf eats pure protein, but pure protein is only about 22%. Not the 27-30 percent we are feeding our dogs.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:23 pm

And how many dogs has this fella seen that run 30-40 miles a day (3 or 4 or more days a week) for 6-7 or 9 months a year?

Not many I bet.
Last edited by birddog1968 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Lexus423

Post by Lexus423 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Well the mahority of his clientele are working dog owners. ( Dobermans, pit bulls, rottis). They actually have treadmills in the back of the shop that they run the dogs on. All of the dogs I saw were in excellent shape and although werent running 30 miles a week, were definetly getting more than an average amount of excercise.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:39 pm

not 30 miles a week....mine run 30 miles a DAY !!!!

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Our dogs have been on adult food since they were 8 weeks old. If they weren't getting enough calories, we simply gave them more.
Personally, I don't think puppy food provides anything that a decent adult food wouldn't have. So in that sense, yeah, it's all marketing.

I DO feed my dogs more than 22% protein, though. The food they're on now is 32%, I think.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:32 pm

It is hard to make a recommendation without a budget, but like MikeB, I find Canidae is hard to beat for most applications. If you can find Annamaet better yet, or Abady since you are in NY State.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Find a good quaility adult feed and use it. My dogs have been eating adult feed since they came to live with us. Never a problem.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 pm

IMO,

I don't feed puppy food either. I believe it's a marketing ploy by dog food maufacturers.

I don't think most dogs activity level requires a food with a high protein and high fat content that many feed. I might hunt or run my dogs once a week and occasionally twice. That's not a lot when compared to a trial dog that's roaded or run every other day or a musher who works their dogs much more than the average person.

Marketing 101 = Make people believe they "need" the product
Tom

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:08 pm

I usually do puppy food from whenever I get them till 3-4 months, (so maybe 2 40lbs bags). Tegan is on adult food now, at 5 months.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Lexus,
You say it's "around" 22% protein? Could it be 24/% protein and what is the fat %?
What is the name of this food? How many formulas do they make?
For your 7 mo. old pup you don't need high protein puppy food anymore. A high quality adult food is fine for your dog until you plan to really start working him hard everyday.

The guy making this food that feed "working dogs" like Dobies, Rottie, GSD's don't feed dogs that do what some hunting dog do in a day with the amount of exercise per day or week running down birds. That is feeding a whole different type of working dog. It's all about calories in vs calorie output. Kind of like an Olympic swimmer needing more fuel than a part time hunting dog like yours maybe. You feed the need if you understand my theory.

So Canidae is my #1 choice along with Eagle Pack. Diamond Naturals, Kirkland Chicken/Rice, Exceed at Sams Club, Iams chunk/Mini Chunk and so many others are good too.
Al lot depends on where you live and what is available to you along with what your willing to pay.
Here in California Canidae All Life Stage 4 meat protein formula is $44 for 44#'s right now and at Costco I saw Iams green bag Mini Chunk 48 lbs for $39 US dollars. Some foods in the high end pet stores can run as much as $2.00 a pound. Thats like paying for prescription diet at the vet. Crazy Crazy.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:00 am

I would like to add that the extra calcium in puppy food does aid in milk production in pregnant and lactating females. I usually feed puppy food to dams expecting a litter and while they are nursing a litter and to pups until they are about 10 to 12 weeks old because the smaller size of kibble along with taste seems to really appeal to pups more than adult foods and it really kicks them off eating solid food better than adult foods. Puppy kibble seems like it is a bit easier for them to chew with young teeth as well. After about 12 weeks though pups go on adult food at my house.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am

I generally keep a supply of puppy formula on hand in case the litter is too large for momma to handle. I will add this to the dam's feed in order to do the same thing that tommyboy is doing with puppy feed. It works well and momma seems to like it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:02 pm

My recent research shows that puppy foods don't have any more Calcium or Phosphorous (the balance is important) than an adult food. Most puppy foods especially Large Breed foods have less Calcium/Phosphorous percentages. Most adults food have more in some brands.
Better to grow large/giant breeds slower.
It all depends on the manufacture. Calcium levels between 1.2 to ,09 and the same for Phos. are pretty standard.

I do agree in feeding bitches puppy or performance foods for the higher protein/fat/calories all the way through the weaning process. Feeding puppies puppy food for the first 4-5 months should be fine in most cases. Pups over 6 months old changing to adult or All Life Stage foods are better in my opinion.