8wk GSP pup

jer_allen27

8wk GSP pup

Post by jer_allen27 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Just wondering is the healthy amount to feed her and how many times a day

MikeB

Re: 8wk GSP pup

Post by MikeB » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I would start with 1/2 cup 3 times a day if your home to feed 3 times a day. I never was so I would feed 3/4 to 1 cup twice a day and increase as he/she would eat more. Don't want a fat pup so watch out your don't over feed. Over feeding can or will cause diarrhea in some pups so just watch for that.

More importantly what are you feeding? Brand and formula?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:58 pm

I don't agree with Mike. A pup's requirements increase quickly as it grows until its growth levels off, say 9 months. There is no way to feed a pup by measuring because of the this. I would start with 1 cup (not that the pup is likely to eat that much) 3 times a day. Let the pup eat until it is full. You will know when that is. They pause, yawn, stretch or step back from the bowl...you will know. I had a Jack Russell years ago that ate and once it was full fell asleep next to the bowl.

Maybe 1/2 cup three times is the right amount now but in two weeks it wont be.

It is a good idea to moisten the food or add something like plain yogurt. Feed the best food you can as well.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:21 pm

I have always fed like Mike said. The pup will start eating more in a week or two so just watch the condition and as the pup grows it will need a little more feed. One thing I never do is wet the feed or supplement it as some do. I always found the pups need something to chew on on it might as well be a hard piece of feed as the furniture. If you don't provide something they will chew on wood or whatever they can find.

I also do not like to feed puppy food after a couple of weeks at the most and normally they don't get any. I feed a good premium type dog food and limit the amount to keep them lean and hard without carring extra fat. You will do fine if you just watch the pup and let it tell you how much to feed as they are all different.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:39 am

I basically feed them as much as they want. I've not raised nearly as many pups as some here, but can't say that I've yet come across one that got too fat as a puppy. Most pups seem to be a bit lean to my eye, but growing like a weed. I will add an egg once or twice a week but that's about as far as I go with supplements. Of course, individual dogs may vary and need something else or extra, but for most puppies, I think you'd be hard pressed to overfeed them. Especially at the point where their age is measured in weeks and not months. Our 11 wk old ES is literally eating double or a bit more than double what he was eating at 8 wks. He now eats about three good handfuls morning and night, and maybe two handfuls for lunch. As far as how many times/day to feed, that will depend on what your schedule allows, but their stomachs are small and metabolisms fast, so more often is better IMO.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:49 pm

mcbosco, I have always respected what you have written about dog food and feeding dogs. I agree with a lot of what you believe in. I also respect Ezzy's thoughts and ideas although they may be different than mine, yours and others. He makes many valid points with his background in the feed industry. BUT... Your post made me laugh out loud. You didn't agree with ME but then said the same thing I just posted in your own words. lol... I love this forum.

jer-alen27 asked... Where do I start with feeding his new 8 week old pup?
So maybe I should have said If you start with a 1/2 cup 3 times a day then as they eat all the food each meal increase it each meal a little more. As they eat more just increase the amount each week a little at a time. Some pups will eat till they almost pop and many will stop when they are full. It all depends on your pup.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:30 pm

MikeB wrote:mcbosco, I have always respected what you have written about dog food and feeding dogs. I agree with a lot of what you believe in. I also respect Ezzy's thoughts and ideas although they may be different than mine, yours and others. He makes many valid points with his background in the feed industry. BUT... Your post made me laugh out loud. You didn't agree with ME but then said the same thing I just posted in your own words. lol... I love this forum.

jer-alen27 asked... Where do I start with feeding his new 8 week old pup?
So maybe I should have said If you start with a 1/2 cup 3 times a day then as they eat all the food each meal increase it each meal a little more. As they eat more just increase the amount each week a little at a time. Some pups will eat till they almost pop and many will stop when they are full. It all depends on your pup.
We didn't say the same thing at all. I said to feed until the pup is full. I did however mention cup sizes but that was just too make sure there was enough in the bowl. If the dog ate it all and didn't appear full I would give more.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:38 pm

Adjust the amount of feed by the condition of the pup. Feed them in measured amounts according to what they need. Never overfeed the pups - fat pups are NOT healthy pups.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:55 pm

I'd lot rather have a pup that is on the thin side than one than one that is a butter ball. Fat pups make fat dogs. Feed 'em what they need to look right. No more, no less.