predezone

moneypit

predezone

Post by moneypit » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:24 am

can you use predezone long term?

dog dr

Re: predezone

Post by dog dr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 pm

you can, but there can be some side effects. kind of depends on the dose, too, but generally not a good idea to use for a prolonged amount of time. sometimes you have no choice, however.

moneypit

Post by moneypit » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:15 pm

what are the side effects? my dog does really well on it. the vet starts out with one pill everyday for one week then one every other day for a week, then one half every other day till gone. that takes about 3 weeks but during those three weeks she is fine now its done she is itching again.what would be the effects of keeping her on say a half a pill every other day?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:11 pm

I'd suggest reading more about it. Here's some stuff from a Google search:

Sometimes it's a risk/reward type of decision. For example, my grandma begged her doctor to keep giving her prednisone when she was 95. It made her feel alot better. The doctor gave in and kept it coming.

For a younger or middle aged dog, I dunno. Have you asked the question of your vet?
Prednisone Dosage for Dogs

Although prednisone is an effective drug, it needs to be administered carefully, because it can have hazardous side effects in dogs. Prednisone should be given to dogs only on the advice of a certified veterinarian. Prednisone dosage - corticosteroids use for people is not the same as prednisone dosage for dogs. It needs to be monitored very carefully in order to avoid adverse effects in dogs. It is also important to let the veterinarian know of any other medications that the dog is taking. The dosage of prednisone for dogs is calculated according to the dog's weight. Prednisone dosage for inflammatory diseases ranges from 0.1 to 0.3 mg per pound of weight. It needs to be administered twice a day, for the duration of time recommended by the veterinarian. The dosage of prednisone for dogs in the case of autoimmune diseases varies from 1 mg to 3 mg per pound of weight, and is usually given thrice a day. Again, the number of days that the medicine needs to be taken depends on the duration advised by the veterinarian, as side effects of prednisone use are many and dangerous. Overdose of prednisone for dogs can be fatal, therefore precaution must be taken while administering the medicine.

Prednisone Side Effects in Dogs

There are many side effects associated with the use of prednisone. Given below is a list of some of the common side effects of prednisone in dogs. Interestingly, prednisone side effects in humans are more or less similar to those in canines.

Excessive Thirst and Hunger: Prednisone makes dogs unusually thirsty, and also increases their hunger. This results in frequent urination and abnormal weight gain in dogs.

Gastrointestinal Disorders: Prednisone for dogs is known to cause gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea, vomiting, stomach ulcers, and general gastrointestinal discomfort.

Canine Diabetes: Long term use of prednisone can cause diabetes in dogs. This happens when the body is unable to produce enough insulin, or when the body is not able to absorb the insulin that is being produced. This causes accumulation of glucose in the blood, which leads to diabetes.

Canine Eye Diseases: Prednisone use in dogs can cause eye related problems such as poor eyesight, glaucoma, and cataracts. These need to be checked by the veterinarian. Read more on canine eye diseases.

Muscle Wasting and Fatigue: Use of prednisone in dogs can cause side effects such as unusual weakness and fatigue. For this reason, excessive use of this drug should be avoided.

Inflammation: Prolonged use of prednisone can cause pain and inflammation in joints, making it difficult for the dog to walk.

Behavioral Changes: Unexpected change in dog behavior such as excessive restlessness, anxiety or aggression can be caused due to excessive use of prednisone for dogs. Hence, it is important to monitor any abnormal behavior in the dog.

Skin and Hair Coat Problems: Another side effect of prednisone use includes loss of hair coat and thinning of the dog's skin. The hair coat may also lose its luster. The dog can becomes prone to skin infections, which are difficult to heal.

Canine Cushing's Disease: Also known as hyperadrenocorticism, this is one of the most serious prednisone side effects in dogs. It is caused by a hormonal imbalance which results in overproduction of the hormone cortisone. Symptoms of canine Cushing's disease include excessive hunger, thirst, urination, weight gain or weight loss, and a weakened immune system.

Prednisone Withdrawal in Dogs

Being a steroid, prednisone has positive and negative effects. It is, therefore, important to gradually decrease the intake of prednisone dosage in dogs. Sudden stoppage of the administration of prednisone can be fatal. This is because prednisone intake decreases the production of cortisol in the dog's body. Cortisol is a natural steroid produced by the adrenal gland. Sudden prednisone withdrawal can result in deficiency or absence of cortisol in the dog's body, resulting in adrenal crisis. Prednisone withdrawal should, therefore, be done under the supervision of a veterinarian, and any abnormal symptoms should be immediately referred to him. Some prednisone withdrawal symptoms in dogs include malaise, weakness, fatigue, vomiting, behavioral changes, loss of appetite, and difficulty in breathing. Prednisone withdrawal symptoms in human beings are also similar.

Though its various health benefits make this a very useful drug, it is important to be aware of prednisone side effects in dogs. Canines showing the above symptoms should be taken to a vet immediately.

vabrittfan

Post by vabrittfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:16 am

I've had a dog on it for over a year now & its predicted he will be on it long term. If you can avoid that I would but in our case its either deal with the Prednisone & side effects or my dog dies.

I think the worst is the bloating. He looks huge & I can tell he doesn't feel well. Then there is the excessive thrist & accompaning excessive urination as a result. Oh & let's not forget the being starved all the time. To the point that anything he finds (edible or not) he will try to eat because he is hungry all the time.
N-Vee Brittanys
(near Roanoke, VA)
http://www.nveebrittanys.com

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 am

You might want to check into a shampoo that controls itching. Use it when you see your dog itching too much.

jetto

Post by jetto » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:00 am

We have a basket muzzle for our Irish Setter for the excessive appetite when he has to be on pred. which isn't that often anymore thankfully. When he was on heavy doses of pred he would eat anything that wasn't nailed down and of course this continued the cycle of health issues....so we got him a basket muzzle that he can drink through but it stopped him from eating sticks, leaves, etc.

Yeah pred can be a really ugly thing long term but it saved his life so we put up with the side effects for almost a year and are thankful he very rarely has a relapse anymore.

Kristi

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 am

I'll assume were talking allergies here. There are some things you can try that may give some relief to the itching. Has your vet mentioned trying an antihistamine? They don't work for all dogs, but with some they may bring enough relief that you may be able to cut back or eliminate the use of steroids. The newer second generation antihistamines such as "Zyrtec" may be some of the better ones.

There are also some anti-itch shampoos and sprays that you can try as well. Google "Micro-tek shampoo", there is a daily spray of the same name that used in conjunction with the shampoo have given me good results with my allergy dog.

good luck

RUNWITHBIGDOGS

Post by RUNWITHBIGDOGS » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Greetings. I just lost my dog to prednisone and in looking for others with questions about this drug I came across your forum. I'm not sure what you're treating with the pred, but in my opinion, long-term use is not worth the risk unless there are no other options. The thing about prednisone is that it works... and fast. However, in many cases it's just meant for a short-term fix until other, less risky alternatives are found. Find other treatment options if you can. If you must use prednisone, remember that 'long-term' use starts at ONE MONTH. There are many, many examples online about animals that have been on prednisone for years. However, these could be low doses and for completely different illnesses. If you use prednisone after one month you're entering the danger zone of possible side effects. And when I say 'side effects' I'm not just talking about the increased thirst and weight gain. My 210-lb Great Dane was on the recommended dose of prednisone for four months, following doctor's orders. He developed an intestinal ulcer that ruptured. By the time he showed any signs it was too late. He was dead in less than two hours. If you must use prednisone long-term, your vet will need to constantly monitor your dog's levels to make sure all is well. Also, if you muse use it long-term, speak with your vet about prescribing an antacid to help prevent ulcers. Find a holistic vet who can suggest natural remedies that can prevent or reduce the side effects. Several folks have posted some good information about prednisone. Read everything you can. And finally... I can't say this enough... if there's another treatment option, please consider it. I hope this helps. Good luck.