Deworming a puppy

nanney1

Deworming a puppy

Post by nanney1 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am

Was out at the local ballpark throwing batting practice to my son this weekend. Someone drove up, set out a puppy and drove off. We brought him home and will probably keep him. I'm guessing he's around 6 weeks old

He's got worms so I went to Petsmart and got this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 1#prodTab1

He's continued to eat a lot. Probably taking in more than his output and his belly has gotten really big. I continue to see long white worms in his stool. I think these are large roundworms.

At this point, I'm not sure if the dewormer is working or not.Perhaps I should have gotten a liquid dewormer? If I see worms coming out, is that a sign that it is working?

I've always taken new pups to the vet. I was considering deworming and doing the vaccinations myself. But I just don't know about the worming situation. Looking for some advice.

fishvik

Re: Deworming a puppy

Post by fishvik » Mon May 03, 2010 7:13 am

nanney1 wrote:I've always taken new pups to the vet. I was considering deworming and doing the vaccinations myself. But I just don't know about the worming situation. Looking for some advice.
Nanney, There is a good discussion on worming in the Hall of Fame Post in this forum under the post "Ivomec". As for vaccinations any of the seven way vaccinations are pretty easy to administer.( Example http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=1276). Both the wormer and the vaccinations can be bought at farm stores or on line.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon May 03, 2010 7:25 am

Yes the worms coming out is a good indicator that the d wormer is working

In this case with the pup I would probably suggest taking in for a vet check if you are entertaining the idea of keeping

Taking in 3 stool samples with one being before a meal and one after and another just to have that extra ..this should up the chances if there are any worms or anything else to be found...like coccidia in early stages

Also incase the pup was in contact with fleas tape worms need a different type of wormer
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 am

I 2nd taking the pup to the vet since you have no history. It is very nice you rescued him. :-)

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:12 am

Took him to my vet yesterday. Judging by his teeth, he was guesstimated to be around 10 weeks old, and very healthy with the exception of the worms. He was dewormed with prescription strength meds that will hopefully clear up the worms and given his first set of shots. Weighed in at a little over 10lbs.

Seemss to be a Boxer mix. Fun little puppy.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 am

Glad to hear the pup sounds basically healthy

Kinda good to have that since other then being unwanted the history was pretty unknown

So whats the pups name :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Well.... right now his name is Buster. We've had him four days, named him, and taken him to the vet. Spent the last three days looking for someone to take him while trying to get him adjusted to our home.

Now, we've got three different people willing to take him. Isn't that how it works? Once you get attached and spend money, then someone is willing to take him. Up until yesterday afternoon, we were willing to let him go. Now, we've got a decision to make.

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 am

Buster is staying. Kids are too attached at this point. Even though he's only 10lbs and a baby, he's a rambunctious little dog with a bulldog mentality. I'm afraid he's going to end up as my "Marley" dog and be very destructive.

After a couple of days, my Bernese female has warmed up to his antics and is willing to play and roughouse with him. She's a very big dog and they will probably tear the house up wrestling.

His belly is getting smaller, so the worming treatment from my veterinarian seems to be working.