Still sick 5 days after spay

FLocker

Still sick 5 days after spay

Post by FLocker » Mon May 03, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks in advance for your thoughs on this:

My 1 y/old english cocker was spayed last thursday. Starting on about Saturday, she has become somewhat lethargic, has eaten very little food (but drinks lots of water), and has been urinating at least every hour and urinating in her crate overnight for the last three nights. She just doesnt seem herself.

I know you are not Vets, but does this sound like a normal spay recovery? The vet says i could start her on anti-biotics if i want, in case she has a urinary tract infection that is causing all the symptoms. I think i might do that today.

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Still sick 5 days after spay

Post by snips » Mon May 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Take her temp and get her to a vet.
brenda

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon May 03, 2010 12:04 pm

I've never had a dog neutered/spayed. Seems to me though two of the most common complications from surgery are internal bleeding & infection. If it was my dog I'd be back at the vet's.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue May 04, 2010 8:34 am

yeah, she needs to be checked out. infection would be the first thing i would look for. how do her gums look (color)??

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 04, 2010 11:21 am

I am thinking internal infection ...and UTI isn't the first thing that comes to my mind

As Dog Dr suggested press on her gums does the color come back right away or are they dull looking and when you press does the white spot linger for more then a count of 3

If so GET HER TO VET ASAP and get her on some serious antibiotics
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Wed May 05, 2010 6:47 pm

Update on your girl? How is she and what did the vet say?

FLocker

Post by FLocker » Thu May 06, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I got her on some antibiotics and she seems a whole lot better. She's still urinating at twice the frequency as before the surgery, but the vet says it may still be uncomfortable for her to empty her bladder completely.

I hope she gets back to normal soon, but other than the peeing, she has done a 180.

Thanks again.