Have You Heard???

Post Reply
MikeB
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: So. California

Have You Heard???

Post by MikeB » Sun May 09, 2010 12:13 pm

News has broken that Proctor and Gamble will be buying out Natura Pet Products makers of Innova, California Natural, Health Wise, EVO, and Karma brands

http://www.pginvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml ... ID=1422726

User avatar
mcbosco
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Monmouth County NJ

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by mcbosco » Sun May 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Yep my money is that Blue Buffalo is next...

User avatar
jlp8cornell
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: Ithaca,NY

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun May 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Sad.....quality down the tubes.....

MikeB
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: So. California

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by MikeB » Sun May 09, 2010 8:17 pm

I read today on some board talking about this subject that a vet posted she has seen to many cases of dogs with kidney problems all were eating Blue Buffalo dry food. Don't know anymore about that just what I read.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:20 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Sad.....quality down the tubes.....
I don't know of any company that has a better name for quality than P&G. Plus I am sure they are smart enough to not change the product they are buying if it is a good one. And I doubt if P&G would have bought them out if they weren't good.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
jlp8cornell
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: Ithaca,NY

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun May 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Ezzy-- I was talking about Innova/EVO. Should have specified....Don't know anything about Blue Buffalo.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 09, 2010 8:32 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Ezzy-- I was talking about Innova/EVO. Should have specified....Don't know anything about Blue Buffalo.
Same here. That's what I was talking about also. P&G doen't have anything going with Blue Buffalo that I know of. Think that was just conjector on Sal's part but maybe he knows something we don't. I have no idea what Blue Buffalo is or where it is from.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
SubMariner
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 am
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by SubMariner » Mon May 10, 2010 1:17 pm

MikeB wrote:News has broken that Proctor and Gamble will be buying out Natura Pet Products makers of Innova, California Natural, Health Wise, EVO, and Karma brands

http://www.pginvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml ... ID=1422726
On the dog food forum I also frequent there is quite the hullabaloo about this subject. They are all p/o'd about it, saying that quality will surely plummet. P&G is also vilified for "cruel animal testing". [THEIR words, not mine. So please don't shoot the messenger on this one, kids.]

Like others here, I am saying "wait & see". Natura has a very loyal following because of the quality/content of their feed. And if P&G downgrades it, they will surely kill the golden goose. I really hope they keep their products as is; EVO is a great grainless food that is very high in protein.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

MikeB
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: So. California

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by MikeB » Mon May 10, 2010 4:56 pm

I do know that when P&G bought out Iams they changed the ingredients to both Iams & Eukanuba formulas.

slistoe
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3612
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by slistoe » Mon May 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Actually the ingredient panel was changed about a month or two before the sale to P&G was finalized. The response was "We have not made any changes to the formulation as a result of the sale to P&G." They lost enough customers that the formula was reworked again so that the Eukanuba returned to giving the performance that had come to be expected of it, but by then the customer base had left and was not coming back. I would think that P&G would have learned from that experience and will be unlikely to mess with these foods, but who knows if there is even anyone in the management division now that was around for the Iams experience.

User avatar
mcbosco
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Monmouth County NJ

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Pet food has been a bust for P&G, according to one of my colleagues that deals with consumer product companies. Iams/Euk is one of the companies smallest and weakest performing divisions. People bought Iams/Euk in its heyday because it wasn't sold in the supermarket and discount stores and because it was owned by a pioneering family. Im not saying the foods are worse but its hard to maintain the sizzle when the food is available right next to Mighty Dog and Ole Roy..

This could actually be a worse deal for P&G because Natura has an ultra, ultra premium position in the market place. Some people will begin switching as soon as the bag is done because Natura is perceived to have lost its moral compass. The Natura ownership group had a very good reputation in the industry for leadership and not compromising quality.

Duane M
Rank: Champion
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:15 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by Duane M » Tue May 11, 2010 9:29 am

Check this article out on pet foods interesting short read on the dog food biz and what has actually known, seems very little.
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2nydru/ww ... 0.html/r:t

kerplunk105
Rank: Master Hunter
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am
Location: Bucks County, PA

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

I totally agree. I think a lot of people that bought Natura products bought them because of the company and the quality of the products. Working at a pet store for 6 years that carried Natura products, many of them would/will switch off after the sale.

mcbosco wrote:Pet food has been a bust for P&G, according to one of my colleagues that deals with consumer product companies. Iams/Euk is one of the companies smallest and weakest performing divisions. People bought Iams/Euk in its heyday because it wasn't sold in the supermarket and discount stores and because it was owned by a pioneering family. Im not saying the foods are worse but its hard to maintain the sizzle when the food is available right next to Mighty Dog and Ole Roy..

This could actually be a worse deal for P&G because Natura has an ultra, ultra premium position in the market place. Some people will begin switching as soon as the bag is done because Natura is perceived to have lost its moral compass. The Natura ownership group had a very good reputation in the industry for leadership and not compromising quality.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

buckwildbirddogs
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Northeast Kansas

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by buckwildbirddogs » Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 pm

I disagree. If a better quality dog food than what I was feeding came along that was easily available at local grocery stores or retail stores I would consider changing to it. If the price was right and easy to get, and the quality was there. Right now we would have to drive 1hr 45min just to get to a specialty pet store in order to buy these foods.

I think this would only bring in people and the ones that are leaving just because the company has been sold do not realize what they are feeding to their dogs. They are just buying it for the "name".

IMO
Bobby & Danielle Meade
Buck Wild Bird Dogs

Dixieland's Buck Wild - GSP Male
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2260
Packman's TipToe N Maggie - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2261
BW's Fancy Rawhide Rebel - GSP Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2262
Abby's Ramblin Rose - Brittany Female
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2267

User avatar
mcbosco
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Monmouth County NJ

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by mcbosco » Tue May 11, 2010 7:05 pm

buckwildbirddogs wrote:I disagree. If a better quality dog food than what I was feeding came along that was easily available at local grocery stores or retail stores I would consider changing to it. If the price was right and easy to get, and the quality was there. Right now we would have to drive 1hr 45min just to get to a specialty pet store in order to buy these foods.

I think this would only bring in people and the ones that are leaving just because the company has been sold do not realize what they are feeding to their dogs. They are just buying it for the "name".

IMO
The rational for buying Iams/Euk in the first place was just that, put it everywhere thats convenient and it is a win-win. Well "luxury" goods don't work that way. People that typically buy dog food at the market or a discount store won't spend the extra money for that kind of product and people that spend premium dollars at a speciality store won't on a product that is available in the mass market. There are cross-over buyers but not enough and they are hard to serve. Target has been successful at this and I would be happy if the food I use was available there. In NJ, Tractor Supply attracts a cross-over type consumer as well but the nearest one is an hour away.

So in the end you typically wind up diluting your brand. Very few large, mass market companies are successful with speciality products.

jcbjr
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by jcbjr » Tue May 11, 2010 8:57 pm

I've been a vet for 30 years, and have attended the funerals of numerous formerly good pet food brands that were bought out by big corps. Consistent quality, top notch ingredients, careful processing etc. just simply aren't compatible with huge market penetration and mega volume, universal availability, and moderate price point, and I doubt that P&G is interested in positioning themselves in a limited market boutique food nitche. I'd say watch the quality of these brands carefully or switch to a brand that hasn't sold out. JB

User avatar
mcbosco
GDF Junkie
Posts: 3577
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm
Location: Monmouth County NJ

Re: Have You Heard???

Post by mcbosco » Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 am

When the noncompetes expire, this ownership will be back just as the Eagle folks are doing now.

Post Reply